Thread: Brighter leadlight?

Default Brighter leadlight?

Would it be a good idea to install a new 350mw or 500mw diode(provided I could find one and make it fit) into my existing leadlight to make it brighter? or would that fry the crystals and overheat the diode?

Technically: Yes if your idea is to get more green out of the thing.

It is "pot luck" as to whether the crystals will take it and not shatter.

I would watch out for the optical adhesive between the composite rocks failing.

Best of luck.

How exactly do crystals shatter? Is it sort of like the effect you get when an opera singer's sound waves break glass as it is to light waves breaking crystals? :?:

They shatter because there is too much energy in a given area. The crystal could crack(stress/cavetate) if you apply too much heat in a non uniform fashion.

Alternatively: A far more efficient and low-tech method is to use a hammer.

If you take a drinking glass and and shoot a butane torch at one area it will fracture pretty quick, however if you uniformly heat up the glass it will be fine. Glassblowing is all about this "trick".

The reference you made to the opera singers voice has a couple problems:

1)Harmonic resonance and a "flaw" of some kind in the glass is what causes it to fracture.

2) Its never been proven that an unamplified persons voice is able to break glass. Its *possible* given the subject matter, but not ever displayed.

sorry to correct you.. but..

i was watching mythbusters the other day and they tested that exact subject where they first used amplified sound waves to shatter a glass and then had a proffesional resonate several glasses to the breaking point with no help from any kind of amplifyers, they had those nice super high speed cameras catch it on film, the glass wiggled around like jellow then just completely shattered into bits..

Quote Originally Posted by turtle1maniac
    sorry to correct you.. but..

i was watching mythbusters the other day and they tested that exact subject where they first used amplified sound waves to shatter a glass and then had a proffesional resonate several glasses to the breaking point with no help from any kind of amplifyers, they had those nice super high speed cameras catch it on film, the glass wiggled around like jellow then just completely shattered into bits..

yeah, I saw that too. I think its an awsome show :P