Thread: RGB system power

Default RGB system power

Hi

I am putting together a RGB system

It consist of:

600 mw 445nm
    500 mw 532 nm
    1100 mw 650 nm

532nm goes through both mirrors, followed by 650nm and 445nm.

Will it yield a white beam or is one of the underpowered?
    (Sorry for not using the famous search button here)

Hi Larsen,

Welcome to PL

I don't have experience with 650nm red but from what I understand it won't be the best match for your blue and green.

Most people will suggest you go for 642nm 637nm for your red.

Mostly because of the average beam specs of 650nm red. Have a look here. http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...0+beam+quality

Do a PL search on (Colour balance) or (Color balance) and there will be a heap of good info.

Also, fill in some detail in your profile and tell us a bit about yourself.

There are so many knowledgable and friendly people on here. If we know where you are we can recommend the best people to buy your gear from. There are several very well respected suppliers on here who will give you fantastic before and after sales support (a very important part of this hobby).

You have come to the right place. Spend a couple of months on here and you will save yourself thousands by not buying the wrong things for your needs.

Welcome and have fun.
    Kit

When you say 650nm do you actually mean 658nm?

With the figures you provided, Chroma gives this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	24657

If you can dial the 445nm back to 400mW, then your looking pretty sweet:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard02.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	24658

This is by no means the final word on colour balance, as beam profiles, ambient lighting etc etc also come in to play.
    This space for rent.

It looks about right to me, maybe a little strong on the green but that can be dialled back.

I had pretty much identical specs in my first projector, but with 400mW of 532.

I've since changed out the 1.1watt 650nm for 400mW of 640 which is almost identical brightness to the 650 but with the advantage of better beam specs so no fringing on the beam.

I've been using ratios of about 1:1:1.5 of RGB using 640, 532 and 445 and this seems to be about right. Could use a bit more red but then couldn't we allways.... The strong blue dominates the colour mix a little bit but ensures better visible beams. Again, software tuning will sort your balance out.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I agree for Norty for once!

I'd be trying 500mw 532, 500mw 445, 600mw 640nm. That should give a cool white. I think Steve Milanis projector uses that mix from memory and also from memory, Chroma predicts correctly a cool white.

If you want more red and a more neutral warmer white then 800mw 640 will take care of that (Norty's 1.5 ratio). Chroma actually predicts around 750mw but you can't buy a 750mw 640 module, 800mw being the closest.

In any event note that the higher the powers go, the greater your safety problems. If you can use a colour such as 640 which has great beams specs and better luminosity, then its far better to do so than using 650nm, as you can achieve the same brightness, or even more with 640, for less power and therefore hazard.

Thanks everyone!

This seems like a very resourceful forum so I hope i can contribute with what I know. I have a quickshow ILDA controller waiting in my mail box, so I will probably figure out how to tune the color-balance.

For the 650 nm module I am unsure. Meierlight advertises it as 650nm, but it would'nt suprise me if is was something else. This laser also got a terrible beam profile (8x5mm) because it is a multimode diode with a single lens to collimate it with. The other two modules is 2-3 mm so I would definitely have taken advantage of something that outputs a cleaner beam profile!

Are there any reasonable 640 modules out there?

Where can i download the chroma program that dnar is using?

Quote Originally Posted by Larsen View Post
    Where can i download the chroma program that dnar is using?
    Thread: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...-color-blender

Download Link: http://tocket.mine.nu/Chroma/

Keep in mind Chroma is a good tool, but the most power you can afford is always the best ratio.

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsen View Post
    Thanks everyone!

Are there any reasonable 640 modules out there?
    Kvant. Their new 637nm modules (as yet unseen by anyone on here I think):

Given that 637 is described as light red, they may be too light for what you're looking for but 640nm should suit fine. (635 is thought by many to be orangey (as well as its terrible beam specs), so its unclear where 637 sits in colour balance at the moment in the absence of any views). Its up to you whether you take the gamble on 637nm whilst its still untested by anyone on here. (I believe Norty has a module on order but nothing in his possession yet). 640nm produces a nice mid red.

http://www.synchrovision.co.uk/637nm-light-red

Their 640 modules:

http://www.synchrovision.co.uk/642nm-bright-red

Remember you don't need as much 640nm as you do 650nm to achieve the same brightness so although they're more expensive power for power, you can achieve the same with less.

BTW I just checked the Meirlight site. You are aware the 1 Watt 650nm is TTL aren't you?

You're going to need analogue to adjust colour balance via the software and I'd suggest you'd want analogue for the type of projector your building size wise anyway as your proposed size suggests some pretty professional use.

You want analogue on all of your modules.

Yesterday a customer of mine gave a demonstration of his 6 watt rgb lasersystems projector. Each module did 2.2 watt and the wavelength of the red was 637nm.
    The white was as crisp as the feathers from a white swan

637nm is not orange in my opinon and the best choice. 3 diodes combined each doing 170 mw would give you roughly 500mw. However a cheaper option would be 4 LPC 826 diodes combined. That will give you 1.2 watt of red 658nm. You need twice the power but the diodes are cheap and the collor is dark red