Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: an amusing (but useless) trick

I will take both of my units into work tomorrow and check them with a spectrometer.
    Im curious to see what the wavelengths are.
    Info as it becomes available (and as long as the boss isnt watching).
    =)
    Will there be three phase!!!!

Default theyre a bit blurry.

I tried getting a close up shot of the violet,and greens. it came out a bit blurry.
    I used a Jarrel Ash glass master precision grating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tahoe,dog&laser 073.jpg  

tahoe,dog&laser 074.jpg  

Will there be three phase!!!!

A few of us have said for a while that there's something odd about this diode ie very hot beams. Some safety testing needs doing if a small hint of other wavelengths exists before adding these diodes into projectors.

Anyone could do this test?:

1, Set and measure the output of a beam
    2, Place a blue filter in the beam and measure again and see if your still getting some power.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatball View Post
    An RGB diode would be impossible with one die, such a setup would consist of 3 separate dies, which would lase separately. GaN can only be push so far. Collimating such a diode would be a nightmare.

Its possible that variations in the length of the die would allow other nodes to exist simultaneous inside the medium, but they would be fighting each other for energy.

GaN (Gallium Nitride) diodes such as this have only been pushed up to ~524nm. That's the absolute longest wavelength I seen achieved as reported my the media. Some shorter wavelength greens at ~515nm have been manufactured with the capabilities of a stable 500mw. But that's still pushing the capabilities of the material. Those diodes are currently available for sample testing I believe, since they are "green enough" for some projector applications. 532nm is only a wavelength achieved through the DPSS units we see all the time.
    These 445nm diode can be used to generate red at 636nm. It has also been used to make green at 532nm. The output powers at 1000MW of 445nm generate roughly 70mw of green and can generate 200 mw of red. This is done by using the 445nm as the pump source through Pr+3 ZBLAN fiber for the red and Pr+3 AlF3 for the green.
    The other day we put our 445nm diode through a prism and it gave a nice violet color within the prism. That diode is absolutely funky to say the least.

I wish I had the time and patience to goof around with all this stuff. I imagine you need a nice breadboard and a lot of opto-mechanics on hand. There is a .pdf floating around that has all the lens and proper alignment techniques that where used for this experiment.

Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by ArcDevilz View Post
    The other day we put our 445nm diode through a prism and it gave a nice violet color within the prism. That diode is absolutely funky to say the least.
    Ivan
    Hi, a glow like that, see below? I guess it has to do with fluorescence happening in the glass, it actually happens with any (drinking) glass I tried home, some give better results than others. It looks much better and impressive in reality, just try. Red light from a blue beam.

A while ago I also tried with 473nm DPSS, and it also works well, see the other pic.

It's lot of fun to play with blue lasers and fluorescence. Try to shine it through all sorts of liquids, impressive e.g. is veg-oil which gives a bright yellow result.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6782.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	20257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	20258