Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AKAI APC 40 midi controller and Quickshow?

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post

I have ben tasked with getting the APC40 communicating well with a few Pangolin products, specifically LivePro, Quickshow, and BEYOND. Before I recreate the wheel, can someone give me a few pointers, ideas, anything that would be helpful in completing my task. I have assigned the sliders in all three programs and have been able to get to almost everything in BEYOND using the scripting features but I am having a hard time getting setting the "clip launch" buttons up to acces cues in QS and LivePro.
    The clip launch buttons send each button on a different channel.
    You must make livepro to natively support the APC40. assining midi channels only it's not possible.
    With current livepro and quickshow you still need programs to convert the midi channels.

btw, my son also loves the the APC40. especially the light when pressing the buttons ans the lasers goes on when he moves the slider
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0682.JPG  

DSC_0674.JPG  

DSC_0672.JPG  

i use a korgkontrol for quickshow, seems to do the job well but as for your question, not sure if it helps your situation but i do have a pm25 im selling which will do the job you want without the need for any other software. its good for single colour analogue lasers ect...

I made a Bome's Midi Translator template for the apc40 and quickshow.. follow the link on http://fb.me/triplebeamz . please like and share as a thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by psycon View Post
    I made a Bome's Midi Translator template for the apc40 and quickshow.. follow the link on http://fb.me/triplebeamz . please like and share as a thanks.
    Thanks for the share on FB. I also registered that Alain Futen has commented, and that he also have made a mapping for QS using Bomes midi translator.

What version is required for using your mapping? Classic or Pro?

Alain also have made the led in the buttons work, and hopefully he will share his knowlage in how to do that, so that you are able to implement that as well.

I still find it kind of strange that Pangolin themselves is not willing to provide support for the APC40 towards QS. There are still quite a leap upgrading to Beyond. I was able to get my hands on a nearly unused APC40 for just a handfull of USD, and wish to explore what can be done with QS/APC40. If the results are what i expect them to be, i guess the upgrade to Beyond are soon to come. But first I want to be able to do some "live" LJ`ing to see if that is my thing, and move on from there without investing into Beyond.

It is nice to see that enthusiasts like you are willing to spend time making the impossible available for us who don`t have the skills.
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

Quote Originally Posted by Datsurb View Post
    I still find it kind of strange that Pangolin themselves is not willing to provide support for the APC40 towards QS...
    Unlike Beyond, which is a highly-programmable software package (which can be very complex as you dig deep), QS is more straight- forward, with limited programmability (although still quite powerful), and seems to be geared towards those more interested in cost-savings and ease of use. QS doesn't support the bi-directional MIDI communication that is required to take full advantage of a hard-wire controller like the APC40 (such as the two-way LED cue status indicators), and I doubt very seriously if it would be enhanced to support that capability.

After all, that capability - and MUCH more - is already included in Beyond

We have a fairly in-depth discussion thread about the APC40 here:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...024#post299024

And here's the APC40 map for the default Beyond template, if you want to take a glance at the controllability you get with the Beyond / APC40 combo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beyond APC 40 advanced map.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	45345

Very cool, VERY powerful!!

Randy
    Last edited by Stuka; 11-11-2014 at 06:26.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post

We have a fairly in-depth discussion thread about the APC40 here:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...024#post299024

And here's the APC40 map for the default Beyond template, if you want to take a glance at the controllability you get with the Beyond / APC40 combo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beyond APC 40 advanced map.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	45345

Very cool, VERY powerful!!

Randy
    Yeah - that thread was one of the reasons i got the APC, but I still want to make QS work. I have tested the mapping possibilities that are build in QS, but as Andygarcia writes, there are some essential functions missing. And of course, it would be nice if the leds would work as well. Using a software midi translator might be the way to go, but the stability of that solution still remains to be tested. And a good mapping config file.

Sooner or later i know that I will have to get Beyond, but my budget is not there for quite some time.

Espen

Just got to love lasers!

Alain still has not gotten back to me to see if he can share his template. he did give some insight.. instead of mapping the pads to keyboard keys, i should have mapped them as redirectors to midi commands in a note sequence as QS expects... i assume setting up a redirect from QS back to the leds will make the leds work.. a lot of work. im probably going to see if i can get it working later tonight as i want it working for my show tomorrow.

I did hear back from Alain. he sells his template for 50 euro.... im too poor for that so I updated mine so it lights up the LEDs properly now and some other slight changes..

To answer a question from earlier i use the latest version of bomes.. 1.72 i think.

go to fb.me/triplebeamz for my template

Quote Originally Posted by Datsurb View Post

Sooner or later i know that I will have to get Beyond, but my budget is not there for quite some time.

Espen
    Watch out for the Christmas Holiday Specials and don't forget that you can take an upgrade package, you don't need to buy the full package.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Watch out for the Christmas Holiday Specials and don't forget that you can take an upgrade package, you don't need to buy the full package.
    I know, just waiting for the Pangolin holiday specials to be announced.

I hope Bill will enlighten us soon.

Just got to love lasers!