Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Another Laser Pointer Idiot

According to the Aviation Herald, the plane was at 8000 ft; I've no idea how you could aim a laser into a cockpit window when the plane's at that height, especially considering how far back the pilots are from the windshield; the perpetrator was either in an aircraft or was a long, long way off.

It does seem a bit bonkers. The actual incident is odd too - feeling unwell rather than flash-blindness or anything else laser related. I wonder if someone had a panic attack

Either way there were people ready to jump on the ban-everything wagon. I doubt it'd deter these people at all
    Dynamics/EasyLase LC/FD820/RGB 400mW Homebrew w/EMS4ks

Quote Originally Posted by NobleGas View Post
    According to the Aviation Herald, the plane was at 8000 ft; I've no idea how you could aim a laser into a cockpit window when the plane's at that height, especially considering how far back the pilots are from the windshield; the perpetrator was either in an aircraft or was a long, long way off.
    Dead easy mate! ...U just bounce the beam of your macro pointer off the mirrored base of a nearby low altitude flying saucer!
    Cheers
    I vote to ban flying saucers,...not lasers !
    Last edited by catalanjo; 02-15-2016 at 19:02. Reason: voting !

I talked to a friend on this one and one theory we had was a possible specular type illumination of the window, like what you would get if the window was dirty? rather then a direct hit to face, i just wish we could ban idiots, it's not the laser's fault that it was operated by a moron.

God i hate the "ban" mentality, it totaly takes away from personal responsibility, at a smoking cessation group i am in i went off on some when when they blamed the cigarette, it did not get bought, opened from it's pack, flew into the guy's pie hole and then light and smoked all on it's own
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

All they have to do in Uk is stop sellers listing as 1mW and but actually selling 200mW , cmon , 1mW lasers described as beam visible for 5 miles , burning lasers etc .. its blatent abuse and circumventing of ebay rules ..... ive searched there's no websites in UK selling high power lasers to general public , amazon is strict and you need to upload CE certification before listing whereas ebay is the wild west , when they crack down , the crazy idiots wont have access , there will be less idiots with powerful lasers and the issue will diminish .... instead the UK govt will debate and discuss for a couple of years , might get sent to EU for approval and millions upon millions of pounds of tax payers money will be wasted bring in a law specifically for lasers when the existing laws do the job but eBay aint policing their listings. Yes the odd person will risk their card details on an offshore website but it wont be in the tens of thousands like they are purchasing on ebay

I believe 99% of high power lasers in publics hands the last couple of years have all been through ebay ... when they crack down the problem will reduce
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

no it wont, you have the ban, ban ban ban ban attitude and that mentality will not work, these are already out in the public, you need to set up some simple training programs to make people aware of how dangerous these can be, you will never convince me that banning an item will fix an issue, training and maybe a registration system that the FAA does for drones would prove more productive and teach people that have no intent on harming people the safe operation of there pointer.

in astronomy a high power laser is great to show your friends an object of interest so the whole group can move there telescopes to that location, i do this my self and i my self always check for aircraft first, banning the fu#king things will solve nothing, education is the only way to fix this and i post this second analogy, so laser pointers being banned, then what happens next is people build them, then what happens next and this would effect all of us, banning the ability to buy laser diodes above a certain power lever and other components to make a laser system of that power.

I still don't understand why if some one believes banning a thing will make things better, it does NOT. pardon my language but FU#$ the NANNY state where they take away anything that can be remotely fun because one idiot aimed it at an aircraft. they blame the laser, not the meat bag using it.

people have seem to have forgotten what Personal Responsibility is, my personal feeling is that you should be-able to own and operate a class 4 laser pointer any way they want to in there home or in the yard but when they aim at an aircraft, then a felony and years in jail for endangering the people on the aircraft . in the end it was not the laser's fault it was aimed at an aircraft.
    The progression i am seeing will directly effect us in getting parts and laser diodes down the road, so you may want to think a little more before you get on the ban bandwagon as you might get run over by it's wheels in the process
    Last edited by Draco; 02-20-2016 at 03:06.
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

I am sorry i used less then PC terms but this is something i feel very strong emotions on and am very passionate about, it directly effects our hobby and our ability to make our own projectors among other experiments.
    and before some one chimes in on how useless these high pointers i must state that some of my designs originally started with some high power pointers, they are easy to reverse engineer into a working system. and we already have laws dealing with the people that use them in an unsafe or illegal manner.

I swear if i had physical scales they would be up on end right now with my teeth bared in full view

I dont want to attack a certain person and my past post may have unintelly did that, that was not my focus to do that but to just bare my teeth at people that think banning an item would fix anything, now it makes me want to buy one before they are taken away or at lest repair the two that i have
    the ban mentality just pisses me off
    Last edited by Draco; 02-20-2016 at 03:08.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thinking2.gif 
Views:	34 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	49496 I don't spose U are wanting to ban banning ! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shootself.gif 
Views:	35 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	49497
    Cheers

i would support banning, banning things but that's as far as that would go, punishing people that use lasers as weapons is the direction i think i would support, like drones, they did not ban drones above a certain size they just have to be registered and it's very cheap to do so, in the united states i was reading that there are now more registered drones then there are airplanes