Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creating a laminar airflow?

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Since there are US, Euro, and Japanese patents, it looks like if you use a home made one and make money with it, your setting yourself up for a lawsuit.
    I think renting one would be more economical for a large scale show.

Furthermore, if I decide to build one as a proof of concept and go on the road with it, I doubt the manufacturers will notice or even care. If I start producing units on a large scale it's a different story.

Hey Stoney,

Last year I did a project for school and we tried make such a air flow to use in a blade-less fan design. We used another product from Dyson (http://www.dyson.com/fans/), the air multiplier, which has the shape of a wing with a very narrow output. You could say we had some results for a laminar airflow, but only for a few centimeters.

What MIGHT be an idea.... use the shape of a wing as in the air multiplier, put that in the air, and use a a low-fog machine. The 'nozzle' of the wing will put the smoke in the right direction. And with low-smoke you can use gravity to get it down...... (Not really sure here, but I thought this was just a smoke machine with an addon to cool down the smoke, so it stays on the floor)
    Last edited by FLoWLASER; 09-22-2010 at 06:03. Reason: typo

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Yeah, I know, one offs are OK until your on "Europe's Got Talent" and the whole world sees you on Youtube.

We Americans have to do CYA some times, I would not want to get sued for "aiding and abetting".

Look at the Japanese patent referenced in IC2s patent, it has the nozzle design in cross section.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Default Fog screen?

Don't they all ready make fog screens? or is this not what your talking about or looking for?
    BEAMANN (GODSLIGHT SHOWS)

Aside from the patents, there are a lot of great DIY tips out there. Search for DIY fogscreen on youtube, & there's lots of fun stuff to watch. This guy also has some good pictures of his DIY build: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lodefin...7608079641137/

I exchanged emails with the guy in romania before & he seemed receptive to knowledge exchange for non-profit endeavors.