Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Nerd Bar Set?... Lab Glassware?

Making your own beverages with your glassware is truly awesome. Here's 10 gallons of some mighty good beer I got fermenting in the bathtub.

Oh, and screw bottling, go with kegs!

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    yes was thinking of getting some graduated cylinders... not sure yet...

as far as the separatory funnel what would I use them for? I was thinking maybe for common stuff like cranberry juice or something but was thinking maybe you had a better idea?
    I was thinking you could use it to fill your shot tubes. It's also great for mixing things and since it drains from the bottom you can easily separate ice from liquor.

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    you think it will be an issue in this setup?

the flask sizes are 2L for the one on the left 1L for the one on the right
    It might be. You can see that the condenser is not built for distillation because the inner diameter of the condenser is smaller at the ground glass joints than in the middle. Since the condenser is usually held at a relatively small angle this causes a volume of distillate to accumulate inside of the condenser. While it might not sound like a serious problem it actually makes the separation of products worse. You then have to collect a bigger head fraction, leading to a lower yield of distillation.

So even though the graham condenser might look better than the liebig, I'd still recommend the liebig for distillation any day. You'll be surprised of how good it is at cooling. Should you find that you need a higher vapor flow you can always get a longer liebig condenser.

Talking

Hey Dr SL....

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Here's 10 gallons of some mighty good beer I got fermenting in the bathtub.

..Boy, I am *really* glad you explained that - this photo - w/OUT an explanation - would be preeeeetty frightening, otherwise, dude!!!

Looks like it will rock...
    peas..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by tocket View Post
    I was thinking you could use it to fill your shot tubes. It's also great for mixing things and since it drains from the bottom you can easily separate ice from liquor.
    hrmm, will give that some thought...

Quote Originally Posted by tocket View Post
    It might be. You can see that the condenser is not built for distillation because the inner diameter of the condenser is smaller at the ground glass joints than in the middle. Since the condenser is usually held at a relatively small angle this causes a volume of distillate to accumulate inside of the condenser. While it might not sound like a serious problem it actually makes the separation of products worse. You then have to collect a bigger head fraction, leading to a lower yield of distillation.

So even though the graham condenser might look better than the liebig, I'd still recommend the liebig for distillation any day. You'll be surprised of how good it is at cooling. Should you find that you need a higher vapor flow you can always get a longer liebig condenser.
    crap

Two things come to mind. A beaker with a handle...
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/...6/?cpg=froogle

And a klein bottle...
    http://www.kleinbottle.com/bigclassicalklein.htm

I have a 1000ml beaker that I put a handle on but I couldn't keep the whole thing hot enough and got stress fractures where the handle meets the beaker, so that failed. A 250 or 500ml would probably be a little easier though but for $10, I'd just buy one already made and I've got a torch, kiln and about 100 pounds of boro. If you want any different sized rods, let me know. I think I have 6,8,10 and 16mil and some ~1.25" tube.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    ..Boy, I am *really* glad you explained that - this photo - w/OUT an explanation - would be preeeeetty frightening, otherwise, dude!!!
    Oh, did I say beer I meant raw sewage. Yeah it does look bad but it's starts to clear up after the secondary fermentor. Seriously though, beer is yeast shit.

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Seriously though, beer is yeast shit.
    Nooo, Beer is 'liquid bread'....it's good for you! Any of that brew gonna be ready by this weekend? ...'member, we're gonna be over yonder in McFarlflafm
    or however it is you say it... ...I'll hafta give ya a shout...

...Oh, sorry Fle... one more 'suggestion' - get at least one 'exotic' - ie:

[Hey! what are you doi....hEy, wAit, NO!! I.... >pap< * >pap< * >pap< * _________ _ ]

... nothin like a XXXXX-XXXX glass 'XXXXX' filled with some frozen margie-mix, to start a roaring conversation! ...actually, hah- UV Vodka and a 445 - now there's an 'ice-breaker'!

peas..
    x
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 09-29-2010 at 10:56. Reason: TERMINATED
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

When you are done drinking, you can cook meth!
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    When you are done drinking, you can cook meth!
    LOL thats not even funny

I am probably on a list now after buying all this stuff lol

were all probably on a list after daves comment there hah.

great idea here, i see alot of imitators springing up