Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser Alignment issue?

Quote Originally Posted by phillD View Post
    Thanks again for the help. The laser is at my work right now as I'm building a show for them. I will take a look inside tomorrow and look at the mounts.

I will also double check the sizing but today (at work) I upped the size to 100% (if that's what your reffering to) it cleared up the letter R and G in one of the test patterns. I have tested the laser on the garage door and on a painted drywall surface. Both the red and green beams have a fuzziness to their edges (unlike the blue which is thin and sharp). I had assumed that it was because the beams were thick because of the power but I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I am using quick show with the Flash Back 3 controller. I seem to be able to product each individual color but the animations seem to lack the blue, purple and even orange. I also seem to lack the ability to intentify the beams. Could this be a DB 25 cable issue? I took one from our computer room.

Thanks again for all the help. I will get back with everyone and let you know what I find.
    I doubt it is a cable issue as you have all RGB in the test pattern. Thinking it is just with the high power green you don't get the other colors correct IE not balanced.

I have no experience with the FB3, in the LD2000 you can account and fix the balance. I assume it is possible with FB3 as well is there a pallet tunning?>

Also Thinking with 30K scanners you'll run more around 60 on the size scale if it is anything like the QM.

They could look wider due to power, the red is most likely a fat beam, Try to project onto a black surface small circles pinpoint (if there is an abstract generator in FB3) to see beam size and quality. Black will show the true size better as it reflects less.
    leading in trailing technology

The projector is 7 colour, so therefore TTL. You won't be able to balance the pallette unless you switch out for different power lasers.

Not sure about the fuzziness, but your red will be big because it is 650nm which uses a multimode diode. Typically they are 5mm diameter with higher divergence than a 532 for example. This means you will see red fringing in beams which might be the fuzziness you talk about.

One quick question, do you wear spectacles?

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    The projector is 7 colour, so therefore TTL. You won't be able to balance the pallette unless you switch out for different power lasers.
    The advert he linked to says analogue: http://cgi.ebay.com/1000mw-FULL-COLO...item2a0a8cca3c

Did you set QuickShow up correctly ie for Analogue?

I suggest you re-set it to check.

Start the programme then in the main window go to "Settings"

At the very top you'll find "Quick Set Up"

Click this.

You'll then find the splash screen you saw when you 1st started the programme for the very 1st time.

Click the next button.

At step 1 choose "Advanced User" (just to make sure you have access to everything) then next

At step 2 choose "30k" then click next

At step 3 choose "3 Laser RGB Projector" then next

At step 4 choose "Analogue" then click OK.

Try your tests again.

If you still only have 7 colours then check your actual purchase auction off ebay to make sure it said "analogue" and not "TTL". If it did and you still only have 7 colours then contact the seller as maybe you got TTL by mistake.

You need to check your QS settings though to make sure you didn't set it up as TTL.

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    I have no experience with the FB3, in the LD2000 you can account and fix the balance. I assume it is possible with FB3 as well is there a pallet tunning?>
    Yes he should be able to pallette tune if it is analogue.

Its in "Settings" > "Projector Settings" > "Colour Settings" tab.

Last edited by White-Light; 10-06-2010 at 02:36.

Yes, I do wear spectacles but I was showing a friend at work some of the things that I had done and he also commented about the red laser. When I create text in red, it has a slightly out of focus appearance to it.

Ok, just be aware that (assuming short sighted - thats the only experience I can talk of) when viewed through spectacles, it can cause shift of the respective wavelengths when viewed through the side of your lenses.

Look straight on at a white projection, then turn your head each way so you view out of the sides of the lenses. See how the colours shift.

This is something you need to be aware of when aligning your lasers as it caught me out a few times before I worked it out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0107.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	20155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	20154
    I guess this means I am in for some pain?

Quote Originally Posted by phillD View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0107.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	20155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	20154
    I guess this means I am in for some pain?

ouch i would replace those whenever you get a chance.

if you can't move the dichros, you can usually move the laser heads themselves. I've had decent results with non-adjustable dichro mounts by using thin metal shims to adjust the position of the laser heads as necessary.

Is that a focus ring on the front of the one laser? which color is it?

Also i'd get some 3 position mounts, dichros and drill and tap the table plate for them. It will be much easier to then align.

Is the beam bounced off a mirror to the scanners? or is height set with the lasers.
    leading in trailing technology

I thought it looked like a focus ring too but I tried turning it and it wouldn't move. I intend to have a much closer look later after business hours. I have to admit I'm a little scared to mess with it. Not for the fact I'm going to break it, but for the fact I have to produce a presentation for my work within the next week and also, a halloween party at the end of this month. If a trash something, it's probably game over for October.