Thread: New guy from Canada

Default New guy from Canada

Hello all,

This is my first post to Photonlexicon so I’ll start with a little introduction. My name is Chris and I live in small town central Alberta, Canada. I’m 35 years old, I’m married to a wonderful girl and I have one beautiful daughter with another baby on the way. For the past 13 years I have worked my way up the ranks at a small oilfield production testing company. You could say I put on BIG pyrotechnic shows out in the middle of the prairies.

Up until fairly recently I was a very active member in a local modern/classic rock band. I took care of all the band’s lighting and still have most of the equipment down in the basement. Strangely, this wasn’t what got me interested in lasers in the first place. Another hobby of mine is astronomy and on a whim I bought a “cheap chinese” green pointer to mount as a finder on my telescope. When it arrived I was amazed at the beam you got for the buck! The Chauvet , American DJ and ebay dot on the wall stuff has never really impressed me much but this pointer got me thinking.

Since then I’ve done some reading here and on other forums such as LPF and have extended my technical knowledge of lasers somewhat. I’ve also extended my laser collection a bit picking up a few more handhelds in different wavelengths. While handhelds are great for fun their purpose, a scanner really appeals to me. Unfortunately it seems that buying or building a quality scanner would still be a little out of my price range. I have been kicking around the idea of buying a “cheap chinese” scanner as an entry level platform so I can upgrade as wanted / needed. I may have found one that is well suited for my needs but I think I’ll leave its details and questions for another thread.

I do have a couple questions for this thread though. Is there any kind of LEM event in the Western Canada, Alberta area? I think this is something I'd really enjoy seeing. Are there any members here from central Alberta? Also I've yet to find exactly what regulations apply in Canada regarding class 4 laser projectors. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Cheers,
    Plan
    Last edited by PlanB; 04-20-2011 at 03:51.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	welcome.gif 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.2 KB 
ID:	24565 to the Forum....
    There are a lot of Laser/Projector knowledgeable members
    here that I'm sure can answer any questions that you can
    throw at them....

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

wellcome to the forumz chris!

too much studying to do here and prepare your wallet... it is going to get thinner and thinner with your (and our) hobby

at least we can all comfort you when the wife locks you out of the house until you stop spending
    "its called character briggs..."

Smile

Hi Chris! Welcome to Photonlexicon!

As Jerry said, there's lot of help to be found here on PL. Just start asking questions! We've even got a few amateur astronomers among our members, if you'd like to talk about that hobby as well.

With regard to a Canadian LEM, so far that hasn't happened. We do have a few members from Canada, but they're rather scattered about. I'm not sure if we have any in western Canada; I was under the impression that most of them were located more towards the eastern end of the country.

Unfortunately, most of the regularly scheduled LEM's would be quite a long drive from you. Still, if you can plan ahead, a road trip to a LEM might be doable. Then too, you might be able to score a cheap airline ticket if you search around on the Internet... It might seem like a lot of effort, but attending a LEM is a great way to jump-start your entrance into this money-pit hobby.

Looking forward to hearing more from you in the future!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    [FONT=Calibri]
    [FONT=Calibri]I do have a couple questions for this thread though. Is there any kind of LEM event in the Western Canada, Alberta area?
    Plan
    Depending on your definition of 'area' there is a LEM coming up in Portland, Oregon June 10-12th.. NWLEM.

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Thanks a bunch for the welcomes and information fellas. I didn't figure there would be to much for activity in my neck of the woods, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Looks like Portland would be my closest option to attend a LEM, but it's still a little far for a weekend road trip. For now, I think I'll have to just ogle the pictures posted from members that do get to attend these events.

I did set up a thread regarding the cheap scanner I commented on in post #1 if any are interested. http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...-Laser-Scanner I'd love to hear any comments on it as I think I'll be purchasing one.

Anyways, thanks again folks.

Cheers,
    Plan

Hey welcome!

Enjoy your stay, plenty of good people here.
    This space for rent.

Red face Texas size WELCOME

good to see you here!
    about LEMS- the drive will be worth it. JUST do it.
    the China DJ lasers??
    some here will tell you to save the money spent and DIY and in most cases they are right.
    The cheaper ones do not have actual galvo scanners but a stepper motor scanners ,which IMO is not what you really want. Also when it come to modulation of your lab lasers you want analogue, not just TTL.

I am just a beginner myself who has just recently gotten most of the parts I need to make a 'real' projector. Without having attended SELEM this would not be happening. What ever road you choose- always post what you are about to buy so the Pros here can advise you. Attendees at LEM bring not only thier knowledge to these events but also thier extra gear. Bargains are at every one. G L

hak

Default A hearty west Coast welcome to yah!

welcome to the hobby thatll suck away your money faster than a gambling problem!
    Last edited by Vidal Wolf; 05-17-2011 at 19:14.
    Will there be three phase!!!!

Default Welcome neighbour

It's good to know there's 1 other person in Canada into lasers. 2 years ago I tossed and turned over the decision to buy a laser power meter (why would i need one of those $1500 very specific instruments, i only have 1 projector!). That is exactly what all the manufacturers of cheap laser projectors and some of the not so cheap manufacturers rely on to sell their units. They know that the average joe does not have a way to test the power output so they can offer inflated power levels and you "the customer" is no wiser.
    Unfortunatley for me, i waited until the 2nd to the last day for the warranty on my 1500mw Laserworld Pro RGB .........i really didnt want to part with all that cash for something i might only use once ( I even checked with the local universities around Vancouver and they didn't even have a LPM). My projector was only putting out 895mw of whitelight at the scanners with only 15 hours total on the projector.

If you are thinking of going to Portland, you can catch a ride with me from Vancouver. And if you need to borrow a meter..............i'm only next door!

Welcome Plan B

pete