Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member

Smile New Member

Hi PL!

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself as a new member.
    I've been poking around the forum a little bit over the past few years and thought I should finally join.

I love all kinds of lasers (I first got into the laser hobby through LPF) and first started building handheld units, but very quickly realized that what I really love is the RGB/RGV setups. So I built my own cheap RGV laser system and absolutely loved it. Eventually I decided to make a 1 watt RGB setup, with which I learned a lot about building more involved systems. In doing so, I designed own RGB driver, which I might eventually try to sell here on PL. I thought I should formally introduce myself and get to know my way around a bit more before I actually make a FS post though.

I'm currently a student at the California Institute of Technology so if anyone is in the Pasadena/LA area and wants to get together to get together to show off lasers or to have a LEM I would definitely be interested I really wish I could make it out to SELEM this year, but unfortunately will have to finish up my research project that weekend.

Glad to be here!
    -Alex

WELCOME Alex- you will fit in here just fine- you have a lot to offer and so do the great guys here- You should tell them about your new driver-- I think they will really want to hear about it. It sounds like it has a lot of features for the price and will be a room saver inside of those DIY projectors---And you def. should try to make SELEM VI next year and the LEMs nearer to you. glad to have you here----Len

We'd definatly like to hear more on the driver.

What controller and software are you using for your projector?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Currently I am using my custom driver as controller/software. It has an IC programmed with something around 32 different effects that I use. The driver was built to be used with smaller portable units and as such, I did not hook my first RGB up to a computer. It runs completely independently. I'm currently working on building another RGB setup (with the funds from selling my drivers) that will still use my driver, but will accept input from the computer. I'm still working out the details, but it will definitely be digital, not analog modulation - that's just the nature of my driver.

If you want the quick and dirty details of my driver you can see them here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/aw...ved-65086.html

Keep in mind that that post was directed at LPF members, I will make one directed at PL members hopefully later this weekend. Some of the things I stress will be different.

-Alex

Looks like a nice PCB set up; it looks like I would even be able to solder the parts on.

What would it take to make it analog modulated? Orange is a color that is close to my heart and you can't get orange with a TTL driver.

Hi, welcome to PL Alex.
    This space for rent.

Welcome to PhotonLexicon, Alex!

You just missed a LEM on the west coast. But don't worry, there will be more of them! And I agree with Len above; do you best to make it to SELEM next year. I promise you it will be the time of your life. (In fact, it's not too late to make it to this year's event, assuming you can either snag a cheap airline ticket or carpool with one of the other PL members from the west coast...)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Looks like a nice PCB set up; it looks like I would even be able to solder the parts on.

What would it take to make it analog modulated? Orange is a color that is close to my heart and you can't get orange with a TTL driver.
    Unfortunately for you this one is digitally modulated. I might try to make another one that is analog modulated, but I will have to wait until I pay off the startup costs of this first driver

Quote Originally Posted by Awlego View Post
    Unfortunately for you this one is digitally modulated. I might try to make another one that is analog modulated, but I will have to wait until I pay off the startup costs of this first driver
    Thanks for the response; I am curious though, what would be the changes you would make to that driver? Nothing that will compromise your intellectual secrets, just the dummies version of what would be changed.

I was mistaken about this driver being great for a projector- but still I like it for a " lumia projector, or an old-school lissajous projector maybe, but it won't work for a scanning projector connected to a controller."( this quoted from Buffo).
    If your next verrsion includes ILDA input many more would find it even more useful.

Its a great start and I will put one into a rgb Lumia for sure. Payment coming your way ASAP> thanks Alex.

cheers Hak