Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Eastern NC Laser People

i think i was alone first , about 1976 and 3 mw HeNe. what power that was then.
    jeff

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Welcome to PhotonLexicon, Denial!
    Check out the SELEM threads in this sub-forum and you'll be able to read all about it. But yeah, this is the one you don't want to miss.
    Thanks, that sounds great and entertaining. I'd be more interested in getting together with a couple other tinkerers and play around/geek out some.

Has anyone in the Raleigh area ever been to this place, kind of a co-op machine shop? I was thinking about taking a lathe class there which would allow me access to their machines:
    http://www.techshoprdu.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rgb-gas View Post
    i think i was alone first , about 1976 and 3 mw HeNe. what power that was then.
    jeff

I was only 3 :-) However, I did spend a lot of time back in the day buying up old copier tubes at ham swap meets and burning them up using ballasts from neon signs... which were of course procured in a completely legal and totally safe fashion...being a responsible teenager :-)
    A roommate of mine come up with the idea of gluing mirror bits onto dc motors that we fed ac into (for a jittery effect), and voila, instant, and for the time, awesome laser light shows.

-Dan
    Re-plunging into the world of coherent light.

I have not heard of that tech workshop you linked to but it sounds pretty cool. I am going to look into it more. I have a small mill and lathe in my garage but it would certainly be nice to have access to a large versions so taking the class might be worth it. I'll also interested in learning to metal cast and other freaky stuff like that. So, thanks for posting the link!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Not even alone in the Triangle anymore.
    Hey let me know sometime your free

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt