Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Extreme Lasers... good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis
    I was turing it a lot. In 5 to 10 turn increments. I started slow, but nothing seemed to happen. I turned it back and no good... The day before it's beam looked like it was separating into a beam and a smear anyway at about 8 to 10 feet. :? I'm not nearly as impressed with my green from there as I am the blue. :roll: I may just try to find a little 50mW green, hopefullly analogue to replac it with. It WAS too much for the projector I am building. Would've been nice to have intergrated it into something I could have sold though...
    You could still sell it for parts.
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

Yea, but for what parts? I threw the multimeter on it and I'm still geting voltage sent to the head. I am going to pop a connector on it's ttl and hope I threw it into blanking before I give up on it. It really sucks because i just got my dac to run the scanners... My red and green died before I got it going... Now I only have blue. Atleast I have it huh?

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis
    I was turing it a lot. In 5 to 10 turn increments. I started slow, but nothing seemed to happen. I turned it back and no good... The day before it's beam looked like it was separating into a beam and a smear anyway at about 8 to 10 feet. :? I'm not nearly as impressed with my green from there as I am the blue. :roll: I may just try to find a little 50mW green, hopefullly analogue to replac it with. It WAS too much for the projector I am building. Would've been nice to have intergrated it into something I could have sold though...

It was probably maxed out already and you pushed it over the edge and blew the diode. The housing, lens are still good and maybe the power supply as well. I have one just like it and that pot is the current control to the pump diode. If you want to sell the head let me know.
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

I hate to kick a sleeping dragon here ....but....... I have a number of stories I could tell of this year alone of the bad rep that CNI is going to have because of this. Almost every laser I get for repair is from extreme. Wonder why? They take a nice 50mw 473 laser and crank on it until it meaks out over 100mw......sells for profit...never mind if the pump power is too much for the mode volume of the crystal set....or that the diode is way above the current it was made to handle. The list goes on and on. Burnt crystals....dead diodes.....TEC's going out or wide open...driver failures on both ends.....when will the hurting stop. Trouble is that they could care less......giving out an overdriven laser for new and will hopefully make it just beyond the warranty period so they won't have to deal with it. Too late for neg feedback. I just wish they would stop tweaking them...sell them as they were designed to ....lase for more than 150 hours. Rant over. This needs to be kept in view......so others may avoid the hard lesson.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    I hate to kick a sleeping dragon here ....but....... I have a number of stories I could tell of this year alone of the bad rep that CNI is going to have because of this. Almost every laser I get for repair is from extreme. Wonder why?
    That's funny, because I have found CNI to be amongst the most reliable Chinese lasers. I think this just reinforces the fact that diode currents are being adjusted by extreme..
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Yes, extreme lasers buys lasers from CNI and just ramps up the current as far as they can, and sells them off at whatever power they happen to be doing after the mod. Every person I have heard of buying from extremelasers has had to send it back.

Cool

This also speaks to the quality of the CNI lasers. Clearly they have to be quite robust if they can be over-driven to 200% of their rated power and they still manage to run for a couple hundred hours before dying...

So yeah, CNI makes a quality product, and Extreme Lasers takes advantage of that for profit. The end result is that Extreme Lasers' reputation suffers, but so does CNI's reputation, and that's not fair to CNI.

Adam

quite honestly, its CNI's fault. Axiz pointed extreme out to CNI and they have not quit selling to extreme.

I have lost 3 lasers with less than 100 hours, all high dollar items. Mike, give me a call when you get this no rush

CNI's reputation shouldn't suffer much. And compared with the sales they get from extreme lasers, it seems to be in their best interest to continue selling to them. The people that know extreme lasers sells CNI lasers (is it listed anywhere on their site/auctions?) usually also know they're modified.