Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resources

Default Resources

Hi,

Can anyone share any links, book titles or something that would help someone with zero experience with holography get an understanding?

I think it'd be cool to do but don't know where to get started so this seems like it'd be the place to ask.

Saxby's "Practical Holography" is the best book. Edition 1 or 2 will be just fine if you find them cheap, and supplement with questions about new films to use here. Or try "Shoebox Holography". I'd link to Colin's site, but watch here for info on where that archive ends up.

A much easier to understand book which is based around building a sandbox is the 'Holography Handbook' by Fred Unterseher, Bob Schlesinger and Jeannene Hansen.

If you can get hold of Saxby's book and this one they you'll be all set to go

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Default Holography site

Thanks for the help. I just got the Holography Handbook that Jem suggested and Shoebox Holography as well. Saxby's book is on the list but I'll see if I can find a cheaper one than what I found so far.

A few questions...
    I see a lot of people mention the Coherent C315 and others talking about using 5mw laser pointers. I have a few 650nm from the LPC815 sleds and wondered if these would work.

Also, any thoughts on the kits I've seen from Integraf? Sometimes kits are the way to go and other times, not so much. I guess if the 650nm diode I have pressed in a module would work, I could skip the kit and buy plates and developer so I'm not sure.

Last question...for now...

I have a RPL-260 from Optotronics that was a bit of an impulse buy that now just sits in it's case, and wondered if I could use that somehow. It averages 290mW so I don't know if that would shorten the exposure time to too short a time to do by hand accurately.

Anyhow, sorry for all the newb questions but I like to supplement my reading by picking the brains of those that are actually DOING what I want to.

Howie:

The LPC815 and other high power red diodes are unsuitable for holography since they are not in single longitudinal mode, and therefore have a short coherence length. They are also prone to mode hop. You may be able to use them and get single longitudinal mode (SLM) out of them, but then you need rigorous temperature (0.001 degrees) and current control, like described here.

For holography experiments with laser diodes you can try low powered (~5 mW) diodes or laser pointers since they are often SLM. The Integraf diode is a proven one.

The C315 is a good laser for holography, but only worth to buy if you want to continue with holography.

Hi Howie

As has already been pointed out you'll struggle with getting a higher power diode to run SLM without lots of control. I've got lots of decent lasers here that are good for holography, if ever you need one let me know. You could try to pick up one of the small JDSU Microgreen lasers (532nm) or perhaps a ~10mW Linear Polarised HeNe (632.8nm), either of these would be a better bet than the diodes. You don't actually need a load of power for holography. The only benefit of higher power is shorter exposure times.

I got some of the intergraf photopolymer to experiment with. My conclusions were that you'd struggle to get a good hologram with it using a low power laser due to the long exposure times.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Hi,
    Can anyone share any links, book titles or something that would help someone with zero experience with holography get an understanding
    Holowiki is a very good, on line reference source.
    http://holowiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

The HoloTalk podcast:

http://www.holoworld.com/holotalk/

Thanks for the links and suggestions.

I was going to order one of the Integraf kits this past Sunday but apparently there was some fraudulent activity on my card, so I'm not buying anything until the new one arrives.

It looks like I'll be starting with the lower powered laser pointers and go from there. The HeNe and C315 options seem like the way to go for those that are really into it. I don't know if I can justify it right now though. I will however be keeping an eye on ebay just in case.