Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Front surface mirrors are go

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot;
    I once asked my supplier for 5x5 mirrors instead of 10x10 mirrors, his answer was:

the price of the 5x5 mirrors will be same as the 10x10 mirrors because
    of the high cutting cost (diamond wheels are expensive)
    Doesn't make sense, if he's cutting less material surely the diamond wheel is less used
    Sounds like maybe he had a load of 10x10's already made and in stock..

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot;
    So it think it would be good to ask for there cutting method, and not ask if the corner is clean, because they probably say yes.
    I'm sure these will not be cut-up bit's of bigger mirrors but have asked for the cutting method to be confirmed, also sent a macro picture of an example mirror so there's no confusion over what's needed.
    I'll report back as soon as I get a reply

The manufacturer confirmed today that these are not hand cut, he understands the intended use and said they will be "precision diamond cut with a very even mirror coating up to the edge".
    It would be hard to manufacture them to .1mm tolerance any other way.

So all good

Put me down for 20 of the 20mm x10mm mirrors as well :-)
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Please if I can increase my order to another 10 of the 10x10 mirrors. I will send you the extra money tomorrow night if its ok. Thanks again for setting this up.

2 pairs of 7x12x.8mm and 4 pcs of 10x10x2mm for me if possible. Thanks!

Can you do larger mirrors for me? I don't mind paying more, I just need decent Galvo mirrors that can handle 50w of pulsed avg power @ 532nm... Can pay in any form cash to paypal anything in between lol

Mirror Specs are here: http://www.camtech.com/images/produc..._pdfs/6860.pdf

Thanks in advanced...

Post #1 updated with numbers, thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by affe View Post
    2 pairs of 7x12x.8mm
    Affe, sorry only just updated the first post with detail that the thickness of the galvo mirrors has changed to .7mm - if they are ok for you?

Quote Originally Posted by prodjallenbackup View Post
    Can you do larger mirrors for me?
    Not doing custom sizes, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    Affe, sorry only just updated the first post with detail that the thickness of the galvo mirrors has changed to .7mm - if they are ok for you?
    No problem, I don't think it makes a big difference.

Red face Kinda off-topic, but good to know...

Just thought I'd interject something here that I remember Bill Benner of Pangolin talking about at one of the Florida Laser Enthusiast's Meetings a while back...

We were talking about how the mirror thickness affects the maximum scanner speed, and the point was that while a thinner mirror will have lower mass, and thus you would think it would be better for high-speed scanning because less mass = faster speed, it turns out that the rotor is much heavier than the mirror. So much so, in fact, that the weight of the mirror is almost inconsequential.

But there *is* a problem with using thin mirrors: Resonance. Turns out that at high scanner speeds, the mirror can actually flex and vibrate (especially if it's too thin), and this causes distortion in the scanned image. So having mirrors that are too thin can actually be a problem. Bill pointed out that some of the older Chinese clones of the Cambridge 6800's had very thin mirrors, and they suffered from this problem.

Fortunately, if you install thin mirrors and end up with a resonance problem, there is a quick and easy fix for this... Just apply some fast-drying 2-part epoxy to the back side of the mirror. When it dries, this will add stiffness to the mirror, stopping the resonance. And remember, the tiny bit of extra weight won't make any real difference in the scan speed.

Bill did mention that if you do this "Epoxy trick", you might need to re-tune the scanner amps slightly, as you may need less damping once you've stiffened the mirrors. But it's definitely safe, and it works. (I did it with an old set of DT-40 scanners that I had to replace the mirrors on years ago, and it worked great. Didn't even have to re-tune!)

Just thought it might be helpful to anyone buying new mirrors for their scanners... I'm not saying that these mirrors are too thin, but in the odd chance that they do resonate, there's an easy (and permanent) way to fix it!

Adam

Can I use the steering mirrors as galvo mirrors? since my scanners currently have 3mm thick mirrors on them... and also can it handle the power of pulsed 50w @ 532nm beam size 4mm when it hits the mirror...