Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: For the record..

I am sorry Allthat...not directed at you or anyone here for that matter...it is just the lag time of me typing and the time of me reading Steve's post. After all most things we have and use were from the basics of I need something that will do this.....lets get started. Not many of these types left that want to know why and how. Now lets build something interesting to behold.........
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post

In other words, LPF is like a bunch of redneck motorheads hanging out and working on their cars. They might not know how everything works but they manage to get their cars running OK and have fun doing it. Over here it is more clinical.
    Kind of like the difference between taking your car to the dealership vs. the shadetree mechanic down the road.

Problem is: It is coming winter here in the northern hemisphere and the trees have lost their leaves.....

Sorry, I'm really not LPF bashing, I just **had to** jump on that analogy--It's my line of work.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    I am sorry Allthat...not directed at you or anyone here for that matter...it is just the lag time of me typing and the time of me reading Steve's post. After all most things we have and use were from the basics of I need something that will do this.....lets get started. Not many of these types left that want to know why and how. Now lets build something interesting to behold.........
    O no, please direct that at me; lets me call myself a youth for a bit. I was lucky to recognize it as an abucus... I cherish my ignorance most of the time.

@Gary
    I have to disagree with the statement:
    "Over here, if you come in here and want to have an open discussion you get chastised if you don't know what you are talking about. It isn't pleasant for newcomers unless they want to suck up a bit. "

Just look over my posts and you will see most of my ignorant posts were not chastised, adn most of my post are ignorant. It helps if you state you are a dumbass to begin with. While not truly being a dumbass, my lack of knowledge sure allowed me to fake it. If the dumb buffo can't make you feel welcome I am not sure if anyone could. Even now I am not nearly as experienced as most of the members here, but I have never felt like I had to suck it up to discuss things I knew nothing about.

my son recently put the wrong lug nut (mag nut on a standard rim) on his car and the stud was spinning and he couldnt remove a tire with a slow leak. The dealer was going to charge us a small fortune to repair it. I took it to a local shade tree mechanic, he jacked it up, took a torch to the back of the stud (using a very small hole in the brake housing) brilliant! (about 1 hour) He wanted $25.00 I gave him $50 and a 12 pack of mirror pond ale.

I view LPF as a bunch of lug nuts that dont "fit" in.

Disclaimer - as i have always said there are about 5 and at the most 8 people that I have any respect for over there...and they know who they are.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

To back up what I was saying, you have to look no further than the fact that this thread was created.

I think the way LPF's community acts is inherent to the laser pointer hobby. Every kid and their sibling wants a huge, powerful laser pointer they can swing around and pretend to be a lightsaber. The opposite is true here, where the maturity of the community is inherent to lab lasers and laser shows.

In other words, laser shows and lab lasers attract a more mature audience while laser pointers attract a more immature audience.

Especially with all of the unnecessary drama over at LPF, I'll be spending most of my forum browsing time here

Laser pointers are a lot more accessible, financially, than laser scanners. So, you will see much younger people messing with them. I was pretty reckless as a kid. I really don't like how the kids over there are labeled stupid just because they are young and inexperienced and doing the things that many of us did as kids. When I was a kid I was making gasoline powered potato guns, setting the woods on fire, and all sorts of foolish but fun things.

As a noob-I have seen both occur on this forum. Personally, I have never been chastised for my lack of knowledge, everyone has been extremely helpful and welcoming. However, I have seen some other newbies kicked around pretty badly. So, I am not sure if it is just a matter of how questions are asked, or if the person just acts like a tool when they come here.....I just think respect should be shown and not act like a know it all, if you don't know it all.

BTW-I have a bad starter in my car, so I tap my starter with a tap hammer to get it started.....just sayin'

Thumbs up

I agree with that Gary, I did some stupid shit as a kid, teen, and on into my 20s. I think I heard somewhere on some news clip about teenage drivers that the human brain isn't fully developed untiil your early 20s and the last part to develop is the area that assesses risk and consequences.

It isn't just those at LPF doing stupid things that are dangerous; we were all doing stupid shit when we were young, dumb, and full of cum... I even did stupid shit when I was young trying to get girls to take care of the excess cum problem. According to the boss I still do stupid shit even though I am fully aware of the risk and consequesnces.

@Laser-chik
    You are a... chik; geeks try their best not to kick chiks, especially if they are willing to hang out with us and play with the same toys as us.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    To back up what I was saying, you have to look no further than the fact that this thread was created.
    what steve (not speaking for steve) and i are saying is what you posted in your last sentence of your previous post "unless they give you grief. I assure you that i have received NOTHING but grief from LPF especially when trying to educate others on a subject which i have spent a lifetime attempting to master (going on 36 years now of many laser related disciplines). From now on...if I want to educate children...i'll open a daycare center, or hang out here with my peers. Other than that...eff em in da a.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.