Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: For the record..

@laserman-yikes. gasp.

@allthat - I appreciate that.

@Yaya's - I used to make a weapon out of a bent open paperclip, open side out, sharpened, taped and used rubberbands to fire them. I could have put an eye out with one of those things......lucky I didn't.

@laserfreak - You mean I can't use my laserpointer as a lightsabre anymore? Dammit....

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[QUOTE=Laserman532;170110]what steve (not speaking for steve) and i are saying is what you posted in your last sentence of your previous post "unless they give you grief.

End quote.

Thank you for being able to express what I could not.

I went over there to try to encourage safety. I think I got a small safety culture started over there. Even if it is goggles oriented, which is not exactly the way your supposed to do it.

I've been trying to help newbies since I was a newbie. Its a tradition in technology, the folks who know mentor those who do not. People mentored me in ways that I will never be able to repay. Like Laserman532, I've invested thousands of hours and tens of thousands of dollars learning lasers. Including seven years of college and thousands of field/lab hours over two decades. But this week things went just a little too far.

I'm human, I make mistakes. However I've had it with the abuse.

What I got this week would be the equal of my telling "Straight, No Chaser", that they do not know how to do A Cappella. For the record, I have not been able to sing since my voice changed in Jr High choir.

And yes, I did some very stupid stuff when I was 17. I spent a week rebuilding the garage door glass after one interesting incident with gas state "energetic" materials. However I have 10 fingers and 10 toes and two working eyes, because I at least did the prep right.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-06-2010 at 15:56.

there is this ancient guy, socrates, who 2500 years ago said something wise

"i know one thing, that i know nothing"

to me, this is the begining of all learning. if one can not understand this simple thing, then there is no chance of actually learning anything. so there is no point trying to teach if the "student" thinks he knows it all, or is bulletproof or has dielectric mirrors built-in in his eyes

good try though mixed gas, at least you are ok with your consience

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    No. It isn't that bad. The difference between there and here is over there you have a bunch of average Joes that know enough just to be dangerous. Over here you have a large collection of engineers and technicians who have the background to understand what is going on. Therefore, there is more correct information here and when it isn't correct, people get called out for it and it is corrected. Over there, the resident experts are Eletrofreak and Andycon. I'm not saying either of those don't know what they are doing but I hardly consider them to be the experts that they are made out to be over there. I know of at least one case over there where a guy who posted quite a bit was considered to be really knowledgeable. I happened to know the guy had not even graduated highschool, yet. It makes me roll my eyes.

There are plenty of people over here who are just your "average joe" too, so that argument is null and void. And even the people that start out as your average joe end up quite knowledgeable because they put in the work. Over there they just want everything handed to them on a spoon.

Andy and ElektroFreak know *much* more than many of the people over on LPF do, but they also know much more than many of the people here do. That's not the issue, the issue is ignorant people that don't listen to a word of advice you give them - even when you know better than they do. Over here if someone acts like that they get booted out for being an asshat.

Whats your point? There are people who haven't graduated high school who have built their own fusion reactors or won rewards for pointing out security issues in software ( that happened recently with Firefox ). Just because someone hasn't graduated high school doesn't mean anything. I'm still at high school, even though I have the grades to go to Uni and study a degree level course.
    Last edited by Diachi; 11-08-2010 at 08:26.

Everyone needs to start somewhere. If the learning curve is too steep at the start, many a good mind would go elsewhere. LPF is not PL and PL is not LPF. There is a reason that both exist. I would not want them to be the same.

Many who begin at LPF will mature to the level that is needed here. You can look around you to see how many here have spent some time there. On the other side of the coin, not everyone here could take the environment there. You can read this thread alone to see that fact.

There are tens of millions in the K-12 system. There are millions in the Bachelors system. There are tens of thousands in the Masters system. There are thousands in the PhD system. There are hundreds working in the field.

Students in the K-12 system could not survive at the Masters level. Students at the PhD level could not stand the environment of the K-12 system. Should the PhD students deride and call for the ostracizing of the students in the K-12 system? Should the students in the K-12 system be required to study with the PhD's?

LPF and Pl represent different levels of education and involvement. They both serve a different purpose for the hobby. Let them both work. There is no reason to talk either one of them "down."

If you do not like the environment there or cannot adjust to it, leave it to those of us who can. LPF will continue to operate as an entry point and a filter for "young" enthusiasts. Enjoy the fruits of its labor

Peace,
    dave

I think the posts of Chip-whatever that was banned on his first day here, as well as the following thread, are perfect examples of why LPF gets a bad rep.

It's not the lack of experience -
    It's the BS attitude, immaturity, and public displays of outright stupidity that maintains that reputation:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...Award-Nominees
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Looks like the entire thread was sanitized. All posts from Chip's first one are gone, except for daguin's above. Behold, for obviously the Admin has spoken...

And that's got to be a record. Guy got banned after only being here a couple hours! Just wish I had the sense to ignore him from the start... Sigh.

Adam

You mean I missed a good opportunity to trash The Great And All Powerful Daguin of LPF?!?!?!???

Here .... let me catch up ...

threads bitching about other forums are lame... sorry

LPF != PL and PL != LPF

when I started here at PL I am sure I asked some stupid questions, but then again, I also did a LOT of reading, searching, researching, etc

LPF is full of people that fall all over the spectrum... to try and categorize the entire userbase is really pretentious and not very nice...

there are the pointer-tards that just want the biggest brightest piece of chinese crap for $20, there are the tinkerers that found out there was a LAZER inside their DVD-Burner from a youtube video... then there are more adventurous types etc... just like here really... but in a different set of circumstances...

also WHY do people call them "laser scanners"? what the $%^* is a "laser scanner"

its a laser projector... projectors project things... scanners scan things... like barcodes

Dave is also responsible for the "bait & ban" policy at LPF that creates much of the drama there, pushes experienced people away, and fosters the sophomoric and ignorant tone of the place. Driving a long way to attend a meeting is not much of a reference for someone's character. Unethical manipulation of their unfair "rep" system, misrepresentation of facts, and malicious "stirring of the pot" as he practices is. There's nothing wrong with the vast vast majority of the membership of LPF. It's the childishness of this nerd, the actions of his crew of cackling idiots, and their support by the owner that's responsible for the reputation of the place.