Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: For the record..

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default For the record..

If I ever post over at LPF for any reason other then safety of life, please shoot me.

Many futurists and SF writers argue that a bodyless "collective conscience", is our future. LPF is a prime argument as to why that situation would be a terminal future for human kind. LPF is also proof that the American science education system is shot to hell in a handbasket.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-06-2010 at 07:28.

So, you're loving the resource they got going over there then?

I..., I...., I..., and..., and..., .....................

I agree. It's because the owner is a limp wristed technocrat and the place is "moderated" by a prick on a power trip with >11K "me too" posts.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    So, you're loving the resource they got going over there then?
    No, I'm scared to death of never being allowed to retire, in order to care for that generation. It is clear they have no grasp of basic economics or government either.

Bob is right:
    I.... I..... I think...... me, me, me, me, me, Gimmee the laser, Now!!! for freeeeeeee. NO that requires work, study, or (Gasp!) thought, I I I I IIIIIII I III II I IIIIIIIII I^2, I^3, I is (I x10^E+06)

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-06-2010 at 08:17.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    If I ever post over at LPF for any reason other then safety of life, please shoot me.

Many futurists and SF writers argue that a bodyless "collective conscience", is our future. LPF is a prime argument as to why that situation would be a terminal future for human kind. LPF is also proof that the American science education system is shot to hell in a handbasket.

Steve
    The universe began as a "collective conscience" before the Big Bang; now that "collective conscience" has expanded for the purpose of all of us lil bits of "un-collective conscience" to experience a unique life relative to all the other lil bits of "un-collective conscience". One day we will all come back together as a "collective conscience" to reflect on our experiences...

For now I say "Fuck em Steve; you can lead a horse to water..."
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

This is very true. How many youth can revert to one of these when you have no new batteries and you need to finish a problem?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PANA0101.JPG  

You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    This is very true. How many youth can revert to one of these when you have no new batteries and you need to finish a problem?
    Not sure how I take that statement... I haven't got a clue how to use one of those; not that I couldn't figure it out... I am happy to be called a youth though. That doesn't happen often these days; I get giddy when I am asked for my ID at a resturant to buy a drink.

No. It isn't that bad. The difference between there and here is over there you have a bunch of average Joes that know enough just to be dangerous. Over here you have a large collection of engineers and technicians who have the background to understand what is going on. Therefore, there is more correct information here and when it isn't correct, people get called out for it and it is corrected. Over there, the resident experts are Eletrofreak and Andycon. I'm not saying either of those don't know what they are doing but I hardly consider them to be the experts that they are made out to be over there. I know of at least one case over there where a guy who posted quite a bit was considered to be really knowledgeable. I happened to know the guy had not even graduated highschool, yet. It makes me roll my eyes.

So, no, it isn't the fault of the educational system. It's just that it seems to be a collecting place for those who really don't know what they are doing. But, where else are they going to go if they want to share ideas and speak freely? Over here, if you come in here and want to have an open discussion you get chastised if you don't know what you are talking about. It isn't pleasant for newcomers unless they want to suck up a bit. Over there, it is more forgiving but it does end up resulting in a lot of misinformation and experts who aren't really experts.

In other words, LPF is like a bunch of redneck motorheads hanging out and working on their cars. They might not know how everything works but they manage to get their cars running OK and have fun doing it. Over here it is more clinical. I'm not saying either one is good or bad. Just stating how I see it. I don't look down my nose at anyone if they don't know as much as me unless they give me grief.

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    I have one in a drawer. A gift from my now long deceased father, it has a note on it, "Batteries Not Required". A copy of a book on how to use it (300 pages) is next to it. I would have to read the book before use, because you have to practice with them, often.
    Its a emergency backup I hope I never have to use.

Besides, other then logs and roots, everything else can come out of trig tables and scientific notation. I still have trig tables, someplace.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-06-2010 at 09:02.

Over here, if you come in here and want to have an open discussion you get chastised if you don't know what you are talking about
    I don't agree. I came here a total n00b, and asked a lot of questions quite openly, and got a lot of assistance.

I think the manner in which you present yourself when you appear here has a lot to do with how you are treated.

I can see how someone 'graduating' LPF to learn stuff here, may come to blows with others precisely because they already have some knowledge (which they're happy to shout about) even though it may be wrong