Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: KnoxLEM I || 12/18/10 || Knoxville, TN

Default was great

Thanks to all who had projectors there looked great saw some great shows and rigs see ya all soon jeff

Thumbs up First Knoxville LEM a big success!

I had a great time! Thanks to Brad for letting us use his facility; that was great. (I think the place has real potential for future meets!) Sure is a hell of a long drive though.

Made it home OK on Sunday evening, but was too tired to unload all the gear. Guess I'll do that tonight when I get home. But it sure was a lot of fun! (Looking forward to the next one...)

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 12-20-2010 at 05:55. Reason: typo

Like all you guys said, this was a real blast. Thank you Brad for the great place, it has a real nice potential. I liked how we had lasers flying in from everywhere. The shows were really good (Nice work Randy ), and a big hand to Shawn for his beastly projector. The guys I brought with me also enjoyed it very much, and will likely be interested in joining the next time we have another meet.

The setup and display was attractive and professional enough that Derrick is also interested in getting into the hobby (oops!).

Looking forward to seeing everyone again soon...

--DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

WOW!! Sounds like you guys had a blast. This thread is useless without pics.

I'm really disappointed that we couldn't make it this time, but just had way too much going on. Hopefully next time we'll be there in full effect.

Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    Dang, you're right -
    If anyone brought a camera, please post the pics and/or vids!!!!!

I think the "boys with the toys" were too busy / distracted to even think about photos this time!!!

My "unbiased" summary, in lieu of pictures -

For a one-day meet, this event turned out to be pretty incredible, and I think the participants and visitors alike were blown away by how well this all turned out!

The club's floor plan allowed for a VERY cool projector setup -

We wound up with one "permanent" RGB center stage for graphics & beams, along with a 2nd RGB for part of the evening.
    Those were shooting through a 10 x 10 full-screen scrim, along with a triple layer of partial scrim panels hanging from the ceiling.
    Flanking that left & right, we had Brad's pair of 2-watt 445 rigs providing a very cool mix of beams and atmospherics, run via QuickShow through a MIDI-enabled Wii remote control!!

Two more RGB projectors criss-crossed diagonally across the venue, providing not only 2 more layer of graphics on the far walls, but also adding an awesome display of "old school" (i.e. "1-2-3-click") multi-head synchronized beam shows.

The final contribution to the laser display was ShawnB's RGB power rig, which was placed overhead near the front entrance, and used VERY effectively with a cool array of bounce mirrors to pretty much cover the venue with beams. He had some issues with the blue channel, so we had to put up with a paltry 4+ watts of RGY...

The sound system was incredible, and certainly lived up to the namesake for the club's "Headroom" label, and Brad's online identity "Massivesound".
    I'm not sure of the actual total audio power available, but it sure felt like it was in the gigawatt range...

Pangolin ruled as the controller combos for the evening, and we managed to make full use of Showtime, LivePro, and QuickShow in various combinations throughout the evening.
    Adam is quite the LivePro "beatmaster", and Brad and Shawn's real-time QuickShow sessions helped prove that we can keep things fairly simple, and still pull off some pretty incredible multi-projector shows!!

All-in-all, this was one VERY cool event , and from a personal standpoint, I would have to say this was just about the most fun I've had so far "shootin' lasers!!
    I'm already looking forward to brewing up another one in the spring of 2011!!

My thanks to Brad (massivesound) for donating the time, expense, and venue for the event, and to Adam (buffo), Mo (daedal), Shawn (ShawnB), Jonathan (pianoman), and Jeff (rgb-gas) for making the trek to make it happen!

It rocked!!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I'm glad all of you guys had as much fun as I did with this LEM. It was certainly more geared towards putting on a show than SELEM was (my only other experience with a LEM). It definitely had a lot to do with the fact that even though it was a private event, we still had blocks of time set up for shows and "club time" where there were more people present than just us laserists. After 10 or 11 when we switched to club mode, we had a lot of people who were really curious to see what we had done. I've heard nothing but very high compliments on everything we pulled together. I had to keep telling people they need to arrive earlier next time so they don't miss out on the equipment that got packed up earlier in the night! Shawn and Jonathan's gear added a lot to the room and it's a shame they had to leave so early. Overall though it was a great experience. It was truly a blast messing around with the shows and live control throughout the night.

Here's a scan of a newspaper ad about our event. My business partner and I sat down with the arts and entertainment editor of the Metro Pulse (the main music/art magazine in Knoxville) to talk about the club and some upcoming events we had going there. I mentioned the LEM as an example of things other than typical dance nights that we're trying to bring in, and the guy went off on his own and made this advertisement! It kind of worried me at first since this is something we had actually discussed NOT doing, but we didn't have any problems as a result of it. I'm not sure it made much difference in the attendance since I didn't see many people I didn't know, but who knows! It was dark and foggy in there, so we may have had one or two extra people that just wanted to experience the laser show!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KnoxLEM.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	22492

Laser Warning KnoxLEM Photos

Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    Aaaaand here we go! A little excitement on I81 getting down there...

Name:	KnoxLEM-pre1431.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	426.1 KB 
ID:	22638 But got to Headroom, finally Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KnoxLEM1433-HEADROOM.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	490.5 KB 
ID:	22639

Name:	KnoxLEM1435.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	360.3 KB 
ID:	22647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KnoxLEM1440.jpg 
Size:	427.3 KB 
ID:	22645Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KnoxLEM1441.jpg 
Size:	432.4 KB 
ID:	22640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KnoxLEM1448.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	459.8 KB 
ID:	22648Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KnoxLEM1450.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	457.2 KB 
ID:	22646Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KnoxLEM1452.jpg 
Size:	395.9 KB 
ID:	22641Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KnoxLEM1470.jpg 
Size:	357.9 KB 
ID:	22643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KnoxLEM1473.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	358.8 KB 
ID:	22650Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KnoxLEM1480.jpg 
Size:	343.8 KB 
ID:	22642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KnoxLEM1485.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	22651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KnoxLEM1499.jpg 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	22644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KnoxLEM1507.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	22652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KnoxLEM1521.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	247.1 KB 
ID:	22649

The originals of these and more are at http://www.bobdbob.com/~graysoul/a100/20101218/gallery.html and if I took pics of your equipment feel free to use them.
    -Dan

Cool!!

Thanks for sharing those, Dan!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Default great time

this was a great time, and great set up. loved that red. may sell a gas rig to get one jeff