Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Chat System :(

Default New Chat System :(

Sorry to say this Robert but I have to say I don't like the new Facebook style chat system at all.

With the old system you could see the content so it was both informative and invited you to jump in if the topic was of interest. With the new system, everythings hidden away and very private.

Its kind of like a private messaging system without the need to go to a private messaging page.

You never know whats going on so theres no way to join.

I don't know what to do with regard to "live" chat... Some people like the IM/picture/file transfer thing, others don't.

I honestly thought that the chatbox system before would not be used yet people pumped about 2000 messages through it since it went live. This one: 366 in <24 hours.

Honestly: There are a couple of these messenger apps floating around and none of them are "cheap" - Since they are apparently used and generally well received I will keep looking even if my wallet absolutely abhors the idea.

This one was $129 and was the "best" one that I could find and the small peer group tests from IRC were generally well received... But then again it's hard to quantify. Had you asked me a month ago if this feature would be utilized at all I would have laughed.

Heres what I'll do... I'll poke around in the templating system again and see if I can fix the picture lightbox thing you brought up and just give this chat thing a "fair shake" for the time being. K?

Im not that long with photonlexicon yet, but I like it (must be because I use facepoop.. I mean facebook that much )

Personally I'd rather you just went back to the original public chat box at the top of the screen.

I certainly wouldn't go wasting anymore money on this when you're short and when the original worked perfectly well.

I personally prefer the low profile of this compared to the previous chatterbox, FF was jumping all over the place at each page load which was really annoying

sure, I will ;3

See... I refer to this as the politicians quandary:

A politician gets elected.
    A politicians vote can do one of two things: keep an existing voter in his corner or turn away an existing voter.
    Cross conversions are, statistically speaking, non existent.
    Given that best case scenario is that he keeps all his constituents it then follows that the best thing to do after getting elected is to do absolutely nothing, at all, ever.

Some people like this chat widget... others don't... I can't make it a conditional argument where the user gets to select which flavor is run(if any) - I just have to go with the data presented... Right now the usage data shows that this chatbar widgetamabobber is "oddly popular" after 24 hours. Time will tell if the popularity is skewed because it's "new and shiny" or if people really do like the instant message thing.

But hey, at least we can all agree that vbulletin 4 sucks.

You can please some of the people all of the time...
    This space for rent.

... but you can drink yourself into a coma absolutely all of the time.

The only problem I have with the system is not its prominence but the fact that its private.

Its a bit of a boys club not a discussion medium. You don't know whats being said unless you're invited into a conversation. Its just really a docked live PM system not a chat box.