Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 635nm C mount diode GB 10 slots available round one

i maybe going over old ground here but ive not read your other post about these diodes.

i could be tempted but what lens are you suggesting to use and what beam specs would you get?

or do you not know this yet and want people to test?

thanks
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock Mike View Post
    ME3 --- IIRC, there were a bunch who expressed interest in these diodes.
    I've always noticed a lack of committment in GB's here and on LPF. Everyone talks big until they have to show the cash.
    Come on you guys, commit and make this GB happen.

HMike
    isnt it up to people how they spend their money? just cos people are interested dont mean they actually want to follow through. they just had a general interest in the thread/ diode
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Andy ---
    Too many times I've seen comments saying that they will get one only to leave the organizer of the GB out to dry.
    When someone expresses interest, at least state that this is just a comment to raise post count.

HMike

i hear what your saying but they have not been purchased yet so no one is out of pocket.

all i can say is the gb ive done for diodes went well and simons GB seem to be going very well.

i think it comes down to price, a gb for £2.50 sleds is always going to go down better than a 280 diode. lets be honest thats not pocket money and alot of people want ready made modules not single diodes. you would be pretty pissed to pop a 280 diode.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I always use a 3-M ESD safety mat in conjuction with wrist strap, and ESD safe solder station on a 1 meg grounded table surface. Yes I take many safety options with any laser diode. Not lost one yet to ESD to my knowledge. The original feeler , if you will, was to see who wanted one for sure. Then after enough intrest was there.. the option to get aboard is now available if you so choose. The test results were in the post as I have not received the sample as of yet. Please look over the findings. It will be an 8*x 8* diverging beam off the FAC lens. One simple asphere will collimate it. The NA and distance required will be determined by how much you want to invest in a lens. I am also inquiring of a good solution with the engineers at the firm. They make the diode so I would tend to think they would know what would best suit the needs at this point. This is the smallest emitter available at anywhere near this power level...that is publicly available. Just think....1/2 watt of 635nm. Yes indeed for me. Use your favorite optics software and see the options that you can come up with. I for one am really tired of all the fiddling and tweaking of the multi set ups that go beyond 4 diodes. I want to build something I can install and use and not be servicing it every time I want to use my projectors. Not to mention the added costs of all the mounts and collimation optics in multiples. Have you priced any 500mw 635's lately? Then again if I were to hit the lotto...I would call Arctos and place an order.
    Last edited by MechEng3; 11-16-2010 at 15:08.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

If you're *certain* the FAC lens is not collimating the fast axis, but matching it to the slow axis divergence, I'm in for 2.

I have a bunch of the 1x1" aluminum blocks that I use to build fiber collimators with 9mmx0.5 threaded lenses which should work nicely to mount a lens in front of the diode. Like this, but black anodized and 1/2" thick:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110508786522

I'll sell just the block to GB people at my cost ($10 ea) and I'll throw one of my 3 element glass collimating lenses in for free.

andy_con ---

I see 7+ committed individuals here. Not just post builders or someone trying to look like an experimenter or an interested kid. This is from ME3's first post / poll about this

"-concrete intrest , funds at the ready : 7 53.85%
    -willing to smoke a CC for atleast one diode : 6 46.15% "

I only ask the 7 or more to stand up to your committment so ME3 can continue with the GB.

HMike

Hi mike,

interest was pending on the results of the test. these results are not comparable yet. the gb is for a 100um diode, the tests were conducted using a 250um diode. so no actual beam specs are available. isn't it rational to try to get a bit more information before offloading almost 300usd?

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    Hi mike,

interest was pending on the results of the test. these results are not comparable yet. the gb is for a 100um diode, the tests were conducted using a 250um diode. so no actual beam specs are available. isn't it rational to try to get a bit more information before offloading almost 300usd?
    i happen to agree im not willing to spend 280 on a diode which may not produce a usable beam.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    I always use a 3-M ESD safety mat in conjuction with wrist strap, and ESD safe solder station on a 1 meg grounded table surface. Yes I take many safety options with any laser diode. Not lost one yet to ESD to my knowledge. The original feeler , if you will, was to see who wanted one for sure. Then after enough intrest was there.. the option to get aboard is now available if you so choose. The test results were in the post as I have not received the sample as of yet. Please look over the findings. It will be an 8*x 8* diverging beam off the FAC lens. One simple asphere will collimate it. The NA and distance required will be determined by how much you want to invest in a lens. I am also inquiring of a good solution with the engineers at the firm. They make the diode so I would tend to think they would know what would best suit the needs at this point. This is the smallest emitter available at anywhere near this power level...that is publicly available. Just think....1/2 watt of 635nm. Yes indeed for me. Use your favorite optics software and see the options that you can come up with. I for one am really tired of all the fiddling and tweaking of the multi set ups that go beyond 4 diodes. I want to build something I can install and use and not be servicing it every time I want to use my projectors. Not to mention the added costs of all the mounts and collimation optics in multiples. Have you priced any 500mw 635's lately? Then again if I were to hit the lotto...I would call Arctos and place an order.
    ok just had a read of your other thread and the beam specs of the diode you tested are 5mm by 5mm @ 2.8mR.

to me and probably others that not a usable beam and i think this is why this gb isnt going well.

your also now trying to do a gb on an untested diode, maybe if you did some testing on this diode and a better beam could be achieved then people would be willing to spend the money.

i could build a 6watt 660 module with a beam spec of 5mm by 5mm @1mR.i think people were interested and were hoping for good results. but the results wernt good so they are now not interested.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat