Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo
    MechEng3:

Great! So you're not that far either. OK, that's 6 people so far, scattered from Florida to Virginia... In my book that's enough to begin planning the event. Though it would be great to have more people, I think 6 different laserists might make for quite an interesting gathering. (And who knows how many others might show up...)

So, now we really need to start thinking about WHERE we should meet. I think Astroguy is the one furthest South (somewhere around West Palm beach, Florida I think), and Elgordito is furthest North (in Virginia), so the two of them ought to have a pretty large input on where we do this. (They'll have the furthest to travel...)

How about it? Got any suggestions guys?
    My preference would revolve around the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) as we would need to keep the kids occupied. Atlanta is good for me as my in-laws live there. Orlando could be another possibility.

[Off topic] Anybody heading up to the Vermont Maple Festival? Anybody been there before? It is in St. Albans VT http://www.vtmaplefestival.org/ anybody know if it is worth going to?[/Off topic]

Spec;

Great idea on the friend map idea. That helps a lot!

Elgordito;

I understand completely about the Wife Acceptance Factor!

I can be a little more flexible, because my kids are much older...

Atlanta, GA works for me, as it's only about 5 hours by car from Charleston.

Orlando, FL works too. Although it's closer to 7 hours by car, I have family in that area, so that's cool. I could make a weekend out of it. Not sure how Spec and MechEng3 feel about driving to Florida though.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Spec
    FWIW: I have set up a "frappr" to find out where everyone is.

http://www.frappr.com/photonlexicon

Its pretty easy to add your location, maybe this will help.

I'm all for a get together!
    added

How did it go?

Hey Steve-o...

Actually, it didn't go last year. ops: We had a lot of problems getting a suitable venue in Atlanta, so we decided to postpone it until 2007.

In the mean time, we've set up a gathering in Florida for the end of January. If you feel like making the trip, you're more than welcome to attend. (No cost to attend, but you'll spend a small fortune on gas getting there I'll bet!)

This year we *WILL* have a SELEM, even if we end up moving it to another city. But we'd really like to do it in Atlanta because it's such a great transportation hub. Stay tuned to PhotonLexicon for details...

Adam

Greetings and salutations themadscientist! Welcome...

Hey adam... you forget about me, here in florida... :roll:
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Adam said that you were going to bring the everclear :P

allthat;

I didn't forget you! (Though the reference to the everclear is actually in another thread.)

This thread is actually an older one that was started in January of last year. It actually was the *first* thread where we started to talk about the whole concept of a "South Eastern Laser Enthusiast's Meeting". This was long before you joined PhotonLexicon.

Steve-o was asking about SELEM in another thread, then noticed this thread and posted to ask about how it went. Unfortunately, as everyone now knows, SELEM 2006 didn't happen. But this year things will be different!

Adam

Yeh I'm gonna have to start checking the thread dates b4 i post ops:

Nah... Don't worry about it. Sometimes it's good to bring up older threads like this. And in this case, you had a valid question about how the 2006 event actually went. Unfortunately, the event never happened.

Adam