Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: First Annual SouthEast Laser Enthusiasts Meeting

Default Welcome James!!!

Glad you decided to check it out!

I know I'd love to see your laserboy software in operation, and I'm sure others would as well. The whole concept of the first annual "SELEM" is to just get as many laser enthusiasts (hobbyists as well as professionals) together in one room with their hardware and just share ideas and information. Call it a "geek fest" for lasers...

We haven't really come up with any rules per se. (Heck, the whole thing is still in the planning stages!) But basically as long as the venue we choose has adequate power, we want people to bring as much of their equipment as they feel comfortable traveling with. (Not sure if water cooled argons are going to be a viable option though - stay tuned...) However, I also want to encourage hobbyists to bring their homebrew stuff - even if it's not high power or white light capable. I think we can all learn a lot from each other this way.

So mark your calenders everyone... June 17th and 18th this summer. (Assuming that we can get a room, that is...)

Adam

Just for the sake of keeping this thread active...

What are the rules when it comes to using a public space, rented out for a private event like this? Is it OK with the CDRH? It is my understanding that the rules are different between private and public property and the use of lasers. Can anyone shed some more light on this subject? The reason I ask is because I would really like to show my work to a large group. I am a member of a fine arts organization and a member of a local Linux users group. I think it would be a blast to bring these two groups together for a nice show and demonstration. But I really don't want to have to mess with my laser rig too much to do that. It's pretty weak anyway... only about 15mW of HeNe red and a very toned down 60X to go with it. It's probably less than 60mW total white light. Is there a way for me to get a nice room at the university and set it up for a private show, without breaking any CDRH rules?

James. :o)

Can`t you use one Red\blue\green laser from spec maybe...

And only bring your GALVO setup ? :roll:

Off topic, but do you only have 15mW red and totally 60mW white ??
    On the pictures of your system it seems like you got 1W white

Yes. I only have about 60mW of total white light output. And that is just a guess. I have no light meter. It looks pretty nice on a little slide projector screen in my basement with no other light in the room. I wish I had a lot more 477 blue. My colors are a bit washed out in the high end because most of my blue is coming from the 488 cyan. I send my blue control signal into both the 488 and 477 on the PCAOM. It's pretty amazing what a decent digital camera will do. It can capture images that you can't really see with the naked eye, because of the exposure time. But the reverse is also true. There are things that I can see that I can not photograph.

What I meant with my previous post was... Is it possible (legal) for me to set up my stuff here in my own home town of Akron, Ohio at the university or something like that, for a private show?

From what I understand, in a private-non public setting, as long as you don't have any monetary gains involved- it' OK. I will have to investigate it further....but I don't think, that you being the LSO , will have any problems. Good topic would be nice if there was a clear cut to the absolute yes and no - fines involved situation.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Default RE: CDRH rules governing private laser shows.

I had been wondering about this very question, and a few others, for a long time, so in October, 2004 I took the drastic step of calling the CDRH in Maryland.

For a government agency, they were surprisingly helpful and forthright.

The bottom line is this: The CDRH has *NO* juristiction unless there is some form of commerce involved. So, as long as you do not charge admission to your show, you are free and clear as far as the FDA is concerned. (Note that you can still be sued in civil court by members of your audience if you zap someone, and you can also be prosecuted by the local police for reckless endangerment if you do something really stupid...)

The two people I spoke with over the course of a week or so were quite clear to point this commerce clause out to me. They also reminded me that "indirect" commerce can sometimes count as well. This is that grey area where you aren't directly charging for the show, but there is some other form of "compensation" going on in leu of pay. It also includes cases where a club owner installes a laser show and then starts charging a cover charge. While the laser show is "free" in the sense that once you are in the door, all the light show effects are "free", you still have to pay to get in the door, and the club owner is still engaging in laser-based commerce. (Though even here, there are exceptions... It's a strange world!)

After speaking frankly with these two gentlemen, I asked them both the specific question about doing free demonstration shows in a school. Both men agreed that the CDRH had no jurisdiction whatsoever in that case. The second man I spoke with did remind me that some schools, and most universities, will demand that you comply with the ANSI Z 136.5 standards for laser safety - assuming that the school knows what a laser is and that the standard exists, that is.

And finally, I encourage others to make the call to the CDRH... They really were helpful! I plan on calling them again once I start working on my whitelight projector...

Adam

Excellent!

Thanks so much for the information!

Question of security issues....If one's laser[s] are set up at a location , and must be left overnight at this location, how safe will the equipment be? May bring some of my friend's equipment as well and I was confronted with this. Several $K of this type of equipment must be watched and guarded against tampering. Just wondering.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

I can get armed security if needed and instruct them "no badge, no security code, no entry, period."

Still looking up venue locations:

The places ive seen want a disgusting amount of money and a heavy deposit.

No smoking... no hazers... all rooms are "well lit" Basically worthless venues.

another thing: Ive run "event insurance" quotes and they are disgusting. One company whom I wont bother mentioning wanted over $1000 for a weekend.

If its allright with everyone Im going to skip the insurance thing.

So this is a VIP only event?
    Who's going to be invited?
    Who's NOT going to be invited?
    Is it open to anyone willing to register and pay for it?