Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: First Annual SouthEast Laser Enthusiasts Meeting

More of a VIH thing (virtually impossible hobby)

As far as invitations go: basically whoever wants to go and can go. No "blacklist" as far as i can tell.

Im hoping to make this cheap/free by pulling owed favors from people, but I cant guarantee that it will be cost free at this point. I should hopefully know soon.

Just logistic problems at this point, ya know?

I agree with Spec - this is most certainly *NOT* an invitation-only event. We want *EVERYONE* to feel welcome. The whole point is to get laser enthusiasts together to swap ideas and knowledge. (Well, and to look at all the cool laser effects, of course!)

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble finding a place, Spec. You know though, we might be going about this the wrong way... Instead of trying to rent a ballroom or a convention center, maybe we should be looking for something like an empty office building or a warehouse. Maybe the back room in a restaurant or bar? It might be cheaper, and the restrictions on hours of use, noise levels, etc may be reduced... Just a thought.

Event insurance? Ugh. Please - no. If it gets that involved, we'll all be buried in paperwork long before this summer comes. I would feel quite comfortable without it.

I do think it would probably be a wise idea to have some sort of wavier form, however. Basically a simple form stating that if you come to the gathering, you understand the hazards involved and are attending at your own risk, etc.

I know that a waiver won't hold up in court against a charge of gross negligence, but something like that might save our asses if someone decides to spill their diet coke into the guts of an argon power supply while it's powered up and ends up doing "the 60 hz shuffle". (Oh I *HATE* it when that happens!)

The important part is the need for hazers/fog machines. Without that, we're pretty much screwed. So we really need to find a venue that doesn't have a militant fire detection system. (Fog machines wreak havoc on fire alarms!)

It would be better to have no windows, but we can always hang up some dark fabric if we have to. And if the room lights can't be dimmed, we'll simply turn them off and use a few portable table lamps to light the room. (That way we can switch them off when the lasers are on...)

I hope we don't need armed security, but Mecheng3 has a valid point. Some of this equipment is very expensive. If something did get broken or stolen it would really sour the whole event. But then again, if we can lock the room when we're done we should be OK. Still, it is a risk... (Wonder if my homeowner's policy will cover my lasers if they're out of the house? Probably not...) I guess we need to discuss this issue some more and see how everyone feels about it.

Another issue is guests. As in, non-laser people that might want to come just to see the show and geek out. How do we want to handle that? (My personal feelings are: if you want to bring a guest(s) that's fine, but it's up to you to supervise them so they don't get blinded, electrocuted, or burned.)

Great input from everyone so far... Keep it coming!

Adam

i will not read this thread anymore :evil:
    As i realize that I will miss this event anyway :cry:

Sadly i was in Boston\NY last year, and I dont have the money to go there this year also ..
    I was planning to wisit Las-Vegas (if not Disneyworld) in 2007 :?

But maybe i can send spec a DV-film and i HOPE that some of you will bring a DV-camcorder to shoot some film everyday
    Then send it back to me so I can se what I did miss :?

Filip
    NORWAY

and btw; if you had commed to my location where I live.
    I have the option to rent a HUGE indoor arena for FREE the entire weekend !!!
    It`s a typic place where the local kids use to have computer LAN

Yes, but driving my van to Norway is a bit too much of a challenge. I think crossing the nothern ice packs would be the tricky part.

James. :o)

Hey Liteglow;

I understand your pain. Tell you what - I'll be sure to take lots of pictures, and I might even bring my video camera. When I get home, I'll digitize everything and burn it to a DVD-rom for you.

What's more - I'm sure there will be *LOTS* of posts here on PhotonLexicon after the meeting. Everyone talking about the things they learned, etc. So you'll still get some benefit out of it! (But it would be really cool if you could actually be there... Sigh.)

Adam

yeah, same here, would love to see pics and video, so take loads of pics and up 'em

Really hope this meet will be a great succes, it already sounds very cool and I hate it that I cant be there

This is really getting exciting. I can't believe it is coming together.

I know the feeling! I'm getting pretty keyed up as well.

Keep talking about it. If you know other laser enthusiasts from other forums, direct them here and see if they're insterested in attending.

Spec - any word yet on a possible venue?

Adam

At some point, someone should drop the word in the laserist-list and alt.lasers.

James. :o)