Thread: Buying Holograms

El Paso, Texas USA and Juarez,Chihuahua Mexico

Default Buying Holograms

Hello Hologrammers!!! I would love to have a source for medium to great holograms for purchase as gifts. Any recommend brands, sites, names etc. you could recommend? Thanks-jimmy
    Wiki:The first visible wavelength laser diode was demonstrated by Nick Holonyak, Jr. in 1962.

FS: hi grade SEAL DUST

Hi Jimmy

Send a PM to John Sonley on this forum or the Holoforum. John is a good friend who makes some wonderful holograms. You could also try Holokidd (aka Dave) as he may have some for sale, Dave does some wonderful DCG work. Alternatively, just put a post on the Holoforum and i'm sure you'll get some offers of holograms for sale.

I'm thinking about selling a few more of my collection of commercial holograms, these are 'Light Fantastic' holograms from the early 1980's. They won't be cheap though as they are collectors items, probably looking > $100 each.

Why don't you have a go at making your own? Holography is a great hobby

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Thanx Jem
    I'm gonna try some of those sources. I wish I had the time/equipment to do my own. Really it looks fun. I'm building my projector now as well as working/learning my software. They still only put 24 hours in a day so I'm stuck trying to fit my entire life into those. 30 hour days really would work best for me . Have a great holiday season.-jimmy
    Wiki:The first visible wavelength laser diode was demonstrated by Nick Holonyak, Jr. in 1962.

What kind of imagery are you interested in? Mechanical things? Skulls? Lumia art? Pictorial art? Computer generated art?

Do those you want to give them to have lasers? If so, you might want to consider laser transmission holograms. Most holographers make those for use as "masters" to make "white light viewable" reflection holograms for sale to the general public, but nothing beats the magical depth seen in a transmission hologram. Yes, they're a hassle to mount for constant display, but who does that for reflection holograms anyway? For something to take out and show people, an 8x10" or larger transmission hologram lit by a few hundred milliwatts of expanded laser light is GREAT!

I like juxtaposition surreal things myself which would nice to own. I really thought these were ALL just whitelight viewable. I really thought the laser was only for creating holograms then you could make a million without need for laser. There is more to learn here. So you saying the better imaging with a laser to illuminate it. Can 1 laser illuminate several holograms? The gift ones I was thinking of would be simple hang and light with maybe a spotlight. Oh and Jem, I saw some you sold from 80's collection you mention. They were nice. The good ones I liked sold very fast. Cool stuff. Thanks.-jimmy

Hi Jimmy.

For transmission holograms you need one laser per hologram, unless you are using fiber feeds from a centralised laser, but that's a whole new ball game. The idea is to pretty much recreate the light that was used to make the hologram. White light reflection holograms are much easier to display and for most purposes will be the type of hologram you are used to seeing on display. However, as Bob says, transmission holograms can be spectacular in terms of depth of image.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001