Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coherent Purelight

gashead is offline Admin Verified: Best Accent Ever(Tm)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisleslie7 View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm having an issue with my purelight star at my nightclub with analog PS and control
    It was working fine for a year, water light would come on and blink every 30 seconds but never turned off.
    Now as soon as you "start" the laser, the water light blinks on and off every second. than as soon as the laser turns on, 3.5 minutes later shuts and fault light comes on.

Nothings changed in the past year, I've been told the water light blinking is normally a way of displaying problems. Any Help or manuals would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    We know.. :P

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Hey Chris -

Ok, this is a 'better place' to discuss this.. yeah, it's still 'someone else thread', but, it's mo bettuh cuz it's about PL issues, etc, etc.. Anyhoo..

..I'm having an issue with my purelight star
    Can you just verify it is a Star, and not an older "Spectrum"? Essentially, same head / tube / PSU, but there are-differences in certain reg-cards / V-sense settings, Info in the manuals, etc.. etc..

Also, assuming this is a mixed-gas whitelight, and not just an Ar? Makes a difference as-to proper tube V-ranges..

It was working fine for a year, water light would come on and blink every 30 seconds but never turned off.
    Now as soon as you "start" the laser, the water light blinks on and off every second. than as soon as the laser turns on, 3.5 minutes later shuts and fault light comes on.
    Was this at *all* ranges of Current? In other words, when you turned the 'Current' knob all the way 'up', did the light still blink? Either way, the blinking water-light is Low gas-pressure... Too-bad you 'waited a year', if it's been being run this whole time with a blinking water-light / low gas-pressure... But, let's see what we can do, here..

When I took it into a shop a month ago, they did "replenish" some of the gas with the ampoules, but didn't use the right tool, i know the voltage did go up to 212V.
    Ok, a) how do you know they 'used the wrong tool' - did they tell you that? b) At what Amperage (Tube current) on the Remote Meter is the system telling you '212V'? And again, is this a WL or just an Ar?

Also, do you possess a DMM (Digital Multi-Meter)? If-so, I can talk you thru checking the *actual* tube V, w/O having to open the head and get near the danger-danger voltage, inside.. There are nice safe 'test points' on the back of the PSU we can ref.. This will help us determine if this is an actual tube-pressure issue, or, just a V-sense card issue (..rare, but possible..)

Lemme know..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Sorry I'm new to all this. I'm a lighting guy (don't hate me lol) but have also been fascinated with lasers, I normally only work clubs if I have a laser, preferably table This is my 2nd mixed gas laser. (1st one 10 watt sadly went down in a fire)

Power supply and head both only say "purelight star" no versions and it is a mixed gas (white) I'm not near it right now, but I will be tomorrow. its like this one
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PS.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	417.1 KB 
ID:	31799Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waterloo-20120105-00145.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	31800
    When he showed me instead I know its a newer tube to, probably got replaced dates inside on it.

Correct does this in ALL ranges in current, as soon as I start the laser it blinks even before the beam is on

They didn't have a tool, the ampoules are in a weird location hard to reach places (I can open and get a picture if you want)

Yes I do have a DMM

Lightbulb

Hi Chris -

Sorry I'm new to all this. I'm a lighting guy (don't hate me lol)
    No 'apologies' needed - and, any LD with a Purelight = free Hall Pass..

This is my 2nd mixed gas laser. (1st one 10 watt sadly went down in a fire)
    Oww, that's gotta sting.. Well, if you're ever 'in the market' again.. http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...054#post213054 We do also have a source for a Sabre, which'll do 16+ Watts of WL, though you need either 480V 3Ø or 208-240, but, @ at least 150 *dedicated* Amps, to run it full-bore.. Yeah, she's a 'hungry gal', but she delivers, like no-other... Anyhoo, back to Earth..

Power supply and head both only say "purelight star"..I'm not near it right now, but I will be tomorrow....Correct does this in ALL ranges in current, as soon as I start the laser it blinks even before the beam is on
    I call Low gas-pressure, (most-likely) a quickly-resolvable condition... Why don't you call me when you can 'be in front of it' for awhile, and we can talk thru checking the range of tube-V, via the Remo, and the Test-points on the PSU... 818.358.8716 ..Bring your DMM..

They didn't have a tool, the ampoules are in a weird location hard to reach places
    Hmm, then it sounds like they didn't know what they were doing and / or didn't actually 'fill' it for you.. though, will be keen to find-out where the '212V' reading / number came-from.. again, we can chat this all, live..

cheers, and ttys..
    j

Awesome! Thank you'll, I will actuallly be infront of the laser in 50 minutes to an hour so be expecting a call, thanks again

Lightbulb

Hi Chris -

Here's the board I need you to 'pull' / send to us.. http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...chmentid=31815 - If you need any 'coaching', call me again, when you're in front of it, and we can chat thru it.. Please send in an 'anti-stat' bag (..one of those 'silver' ones'..) if-possible.. If you cannot, please wrap in kraft-paper, at least, before you put into 'bubble-wrap'..

..As long as you're 'at it' / gonna be 'down', please also send this one http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...chmentid=31816 for checking a couple possibly-related components...

..IF 'downtime' is not-a-good-thing for you guys, I can again encourage consideration of at least looking at the 'in better-shape' of the two of these pups...
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...054#post213054

..would enable 'seamless uptime', with a decent-power PL, and, 'built-in back-up' for your PSU / all components, etc.. And, we've got a new air-freight shipper that is just crazy-cheap, (ie: like, ~$975. for 2x PL-heads / PSU crates, insured, to Scotland.. yeah...) and they take real-good care of the goods.. we've been very-pleased with them, so-far...

Lemme know the thoughts on that.. we could 'box 'er up, right quick-like, and you could 'suffer no downtime' whist we suss the cards, there...
    (..Yes, I am a shameless ion-pusher.. much worse than a smack-dealer..)

cheers..
    j

Does the light regulator board doing anything when not in light regulation mode?

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
    Does the light regulator board doing anything when not in light regulation mode?
    Yes. The boards interact, Coherent uses a voting system,so that whichever input command voltage is greater, light or current, rules. So the light card is busy all the time. Its also driving the power meter on the remote, if one is installed. Users thus do not have to flip a switch between modes, like you would do on older SP or on Lexel. Whichever analog knob is set greater, that is what the laser follows.

The supply has multiple feedback loops. It gates SCRs so the filter caps are charged at no more then 8 volts over what the tube needs, so the linear passbank can be just 4 transistors.

That Eprom in Jon's picture stores a simple map of tube current vs voltage and checks the system for low pressure.
    You change address jumpers around the prom to match the psu to tube size and gas fill in the head.

Steve

Hi Chris
    Give me a call and email me pics of the laser head and Psu with the covers removed.
    I can help
    Clive

Already on it.. It's low-pressure, and/or gassed-out (the ampoules, if they were, indeed, cracked-properly, which I don't think they were..).. cards are fine... He just needs a site-visit... I, for one, will have no-part of 'explaining over the phone' measuring tube V and properly discharging ampoules, @ 40A, for someone that's never actually done-it, before.. Jus' sayin'...

cheers..
    j