Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Casio RED Led

Blob ----
    Don't worry about the thermister --- That WAS for control of fans etc in the complete machine. You can use it to watch the temp of the unit.
    Don't be afraid to use your DMM in diode test. That's how I figured out the wiring. It even lights up the diode a little when you connect it. This is a BIG LED array -- not a n LD.

The switching power supply is a monster but won't fire up. Anyone know how to give it feedback or whatever? I've tried a bunch of stuff.

HMike

The switching supply from the projector you mean?

I'm using a small flashlight reflector, with about a 5mm hole for a 5mm LED. It lets just the light straight from the die come through.

On top of the reflector, you can put a short focal length acrylic magnifier optic like I'm using- it makes a nice circular beam.

Interesting about the round beam.

Mine puts out a square circle! I thought only God could do that!!!

Ok, I hooked the thing up with a flexdriveV5 and 2xAA batteries. It received 550mA and a total of 2.6v from the batteries which were a bit weak. Bit it lit up!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phatred400-1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	22562 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phatred400-2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	22563 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phatred400-3.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	22564

..and the pinout- I hope it can be seen.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phatred400-4.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	22565

Thanx for all your help and encouragement HemM and MeatB. I took the plunge!
    ----------------------------------------
    Peace, the Blob

Remember! If it works, fiddlewith it till it don't!

Blob ---

There you go man... We knew you could do it!!!!! Now you need to turn up the current
    My small bench supply maxes out at 3.14 Amps @ 2.6 Volts. I haven't tried it yet on my BIG supply!!!!

@MB ---- Yes, I refer to the PS in the K@s1o device. There are two boards. One is the main switcher supply and the other has Buck supplies to provide the other circuits. I can't get the main supply to run and it's likely a feedback condition needed to turn on like a computer supply. I've tried several attempts.
    I would like to gather the entire square beam into a lens assembly but even colluminators seem to fail with this huge square beam.

HMike

Wish I could help with the PS issue, but you've seen what I just came thru!

So, how do I get that many amps to come from only 2 1/2 volts? I guess next step is tear into some of these old computer PS's and find out. But meanwhile, back at the ranch, Blob decided to catch up on his LD half finished projects for awhile and wallow in 2day's accomplishments, ending on a good note . Don't want to go against my own sayings and on my own parade. I'll look around to see who's got this thing in a handheld by now!! I mean, rip that heatsink in half and only run 7 or 8 (or 10 or 12!)watts into it. Use all copper and get almost twice the thermal conductivity. Looks like focus will be the main issue.
    --------------------------
    Material/Substance - thermal conductivity
    Silver 429
    COPPER <-------> 401
    Gold 310
    Aluminum <-------> 250
    Beryllium 218
    Magnesium 156
    Iridium 147
    Molybdenum 138
    Zinc Zn 116
    Brass 109
    ---------------------------
    ----------------------------------------
    Peace, the Blob

Remember! If it works, fiddlewith it till it don't!

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hey Kats -

Sorry if this comes-across as

...but I'm posting it as more of just an 'fyi', cause it might not have been 'obvious; in the thread - Got one of these, complete, with ALL the other goodies -
    *EXCEPT FOR* the diode-blok - that is SOLD
    - from an A-140... Info is seen in 'Item #3', here: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/showthread.php/13267-SAVE-THE-WHALES!...-(jk...-)-N%FC-Goodies-4-Sale...?p=174134#post174134

I feel '1/2-way ok' with mentioning this, too, cause I'm continuing to give 10% of anything that sells, from that thread, back to Admin, so...

But if this post is offensive / irritating, please just lemme know and I'll gladly delete it and go crawl-away under some dank dark rock...

peace
    j

PS - just to 'add *some*thing potentially-useful to this thread, I think a really-cool application, related to PL, for these, would be to get a Blue and a Green one, and combine with the dichros in the XJs, to make an 'emulator', ie: the old 'High End Sys' ones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTemQibTY7Y Why? Well, think: 'regulationless / totally-safe audience-scanning' for the 'typical' dance-party 'flash n trash' fx... ...just a thought...
    j
    WTF... I think it's time to ease off of the Christmas cheer a bit...

What does that have to do with this thread about the Casio LED..
    and who is Kats..????????

Or did I miss something again....

Jerry
    Last edited by lasersbee; 12-26-2010 at 17:06.
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Officer Jerry -

Quote Originally Posted by lasersbee View Post
    WTF... I think it's time to ease off of the Christmas cheer a bit...
    Interesting, but I guess I'm ing your WTF, cause...

What does that have to do with this thread about the Casio LED..
    I had thought it would be 'obvious', that posting a link in this thread (about the Casio LED) to another thread, where I am offering one (of these very same LEDs), along with all the 'other goodies' from an A-140 carcass (except for the diodes), would have been seen-as 'helpful info'...

...you know, like if, say, someone 'accidentally fried-one' in testing or decided they wanted two of them, to like, 'build a 'DarthMaul LED-sabre', or wanted another-one of the OEM-supplies to test / experiment - you know, just as a 'pointer to a source' for one, 'on the cheap'...

I mean, if this had been my thread, I would have simply been like, 'hey, thanks for the 411', and just tucked the info-away for a rainy day....

...But, you're right - it ain't my thread, so - I have deleted the post, and I ask the jury to strike all mention of the offense from the record... Sir HMike, 1000-apologies...

and who is Kats..????????
    Yeah, I guess also mistakenly forget that likely most peeps, around here are probably not old enough to remember 'slang-refs' from the 60s / 70s... My bad...

Sorry, again, HM... All the best to you...
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 12-26-2010 at 20:13.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

OK, LIKE - You Know, I too was a bit confused but LIKE SB just needed LIKE basic hookup info You Know. SO Like I was looking for connection info for this jazzy power supply. The Cool Kats might need this for like -you know - the snazzy voltage regulator board.
    SO- now you Dudes know where to Like grab up a chassis like I got.
    HMike

Lol. Mike, are feeling alright?

So does anyone know if it would be illegal to mount one of these beneath of car to shine on the ground as a tailight?

I guess if you don't point it into anyone's face, it might be OK. You need to drop ~14 volts to ~3 volts @ 10 Amps. The buck circuits in the power supply might prove most efficient for that.

@Blob --- You can connect an Ohm meter across the thermistor and watch the Ohms drop as it heats up. It runs in the 5 k to 15 K Ohm range.

HMike