Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amazing FPV R/C flight over New York.

Nice to know he is on our side.

I did not know that 13 pounds is the limit, but that's for EACH ONE, right? And if someone chose to push it a bit to say 20 pounds then who's to know until they weigh it?

Would it be practical for one to act as a repeater for another?

I know that these are frequently programed with a fail safe "return to origin when signal is lost", but what about proceed to T***gt when signal is lost or simply ceases?

Maybe I have too much imagination, but 10-20 of these acting on some IMPORTANT date, simultaneously in concert or independently at some highly vulnerable things is not good and the scenarios necessary to protect against this are also disturbing.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Eric, start with the open source "Arduinopilot" for a eye opening. Traditional model airplane fans are up in arms over what the DIY DRONE guys are doing.
    Especially the folks who build monster ships with cameras and sell video services. I'm not a fan of a 10-20 pound gas camera copter flying over the public.

Many people are not happy, and rule making is in progress. Enforcement does happen.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Eric, start with the open source "Arduinopilot" for a eye opening. Traditional model airplane fans are up in arms over what the DIY DRONE guys are doing.
    Especially the folks who build monster ships with cameras and sell video services. I'm not a fan of a 10-20 pound gas camera copter flying over the public.

Many people are not happy, and rule making is in progress. Enforcement does happen.

Steve
    You bet. I hope it is. Given the ease of making ricin and the light weight of it, anyone can be their own A-team if they want these days. I remember being scared reading a story by Philip K Dick about a flying bomb like a big insect that would sit on the middle of the spine of a soldier and terrify his comrades and him for the week before it went off, tearing out his spine. Attempts to defuse it just meant you didn't have to wait that long. We are days or weeks away from these weapons now. People are usually too busy not daring to think the unthinkable, too scared of being thought 'nuts' to actually do anything to prevent this. Anyone with an Arduino, a GPS, a hobby rocket engine and a bucket of fertiliser can build a stinger missile, with little more skill than a script kiddie. Lasers can now be weapons. Even little tiddly diodes can be capable of grievous bodily harm now.

The genie is totally out of the bottle, and governments can't hope to catch up and legislate for this. There is only one way to handle this, and it's not simple: We live and let live, we try to accept that not everyone wants to do it like we do, or think they should. And we share whatever info we have because to do otherwise can be used as justification for one group to attack another. That is the price we pay for the internet's privilege. I doubt anyone will ever hold a deciding ace in the form of money, power, or guns again.

Legislation might ease the transition so I'm all for it when it's well-considered, but it will only get us so far. It usually follows, and rarely leads.

Legislation might ease the transition so I'm all for it when it's well-considered, but it will only get us so far. It usually follows, and rarely leads.
    Right. And not the answer. Because, as in your example, the possibilities are too numerous with the redirection of materials and techniques. This whole forum consists of Macgyvers. The restrictions would be too onerous to be practical, so I agree with your solution. We need to be vigilant and support our friends as you never know when you might need them.

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    soon the TSA will argue for the need for tiny SAM sites to shoot down RC planes/helicopters... then when they get smaller they will need tinier SAM sites to shoot down mosquitoes and such...
    I know this an old thread but the laser mosquito killer is already here!
    Just watch for specular reflections :S

Default Technology, Hobbies, and Government

This is a subject that is really close to my heart and has the potential to infuriates me.

You see, lasering is a secondary hobby compared to my primary obession which is flying radio control model airplanes, helicopters, and multicopters. I am a member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, an active member of three local flying clubs, compete in aerobatic competitions, and served as a fun-fly committee member for years.

There are really two groups of R/C pilots in the R/C community: LOS (Line of Sight) and FPV (First Person View). LOS pilots generally go to an AMA sanctioned airfields to fly. These fields are sponsered by clubs, and sometimes cooperatively with forest preserves/park districts, have the benefit of socialization with like minded people, and are insured. SAFETY is always #1 priority in our activites (and, sometimes equipment as well).

Do I blame the FPV pilots? Absolutely not, they are simply taking advantage of the newest technology. Anyone can go to hobbyking.com and purchase very sophisticated wireless telemetery, video/audio, and GPS equipment. It is HOW they use this equipment that is important.

Just like Mixed Gas Stated... New laws are in the works. Steve's depth of knowledge continues to astound me. What I have a real problem with is big government (USA, Federal Aviation Administration) handing down sweeping new legislation that will have a devastating impact on so many R/C people enjoying the hobby just because of 'a few bad apples' have the potential to misuse R/C equipment. Its happening right now. AMA is trying to work with the FAA with limited success.
    Some of the things I have heard are limitations of maximum altitude (400 feet is not that much when flying a 108" wingpsan model), max airspeed limits (a real problem for racing events and kerosene powered turbing models that already incorporate speed governers for 200 mph), proposed registration for models, new weight limits, etc, etc.

Resentment toward FPV is growing among some of the line of sight fliers for this reason.

A similar argument would be to outlaw the sale of all lasers to unlicensed people because some kids are abusing laser pointers... Punish everyone to try and protect others from asshats engaging in malicious activity?
    ... Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage ...

In my opinion other misuse of technology is Red light camera systems for ticketing motorists.

What a shame when technology comes full circle and has the potential to negatively impact our quality of life !

Sheesh this subject gets my blood boiling.... Thanks to all of you who share your laser shows so I can go home, put some smoke in the air and enjoy some beams and graphics!

-Jason

JasonB,
    You and me both. Society has become so fractured that we see perfectly sane people advocating all kins of legislation and restrictions on freedom as long as it is primarily other people's freedom. I mean,well R/C model airplane thingys? How cute! "You know Mary,I bet only little kids play with those things I'm so glad they aren't allowed to fly above the trees. How about we take the Harley down to the beach?"

Lasers can be very dangerous. Let's restrict them to <3mw, really. Chain saws? Ban them. Big dogs, nail polish remover, nail guns... REAL GUNS??!! Gasp

How about we permit you do do largely as you will and punish you proportionally and in kind when you screw up? Drunk driving fatality? If you are allowed to live then support the victim's family, all of them, for as long as they live.

It isn't technology, I think you'd agree, it's relegating responsibility to others that underlies this growing problem.

Well said Jason!
    I agree with everything you said. Lasers & RC are my main hobbies as well.

I've been into RC now for 13 years. I'm the Chief Flight Instructor at my club and design custom aircraft & fly professionally for a small company when they need me. Usually once or twice a year. (Wish it was more) I've flown almost everything there is to fly. From small ready to fly electrics to my hand built 101" 22 lb C-130 Blue Angels "Fat Albert" to 15 ft long blimps to my 125 Mph Thunderbirds F-16. I am also an AMA member and have been for the last 13 years.

I am currently building a quadcopter camera ship. I've invested a lot of money into this machine. It uses an Ardupilot flight control system and carries a GoPro camera on a brushless gimbal. I was hoping to bring it to SELEM to show off, but didn't finish in time. In fact I'm still working on it.

The technology behind these autonomous flying vehicles is incredible. I really hope that the RC community is able to continue developing and enjoying it without interference from the feds. Like you said why punish everyone for what a couple people did.

Just my opinions,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    This is a subject that is really close to my heart and has the potential to infuriates me.

You see, lasering is a secondary hobby compared to my primary obession which is flying radio control model airplanes, helicopters, and multicopters. I am a member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, an active member of three local flying clubs, compete in aerobatic competitions, and served as a fun-fly committee member for years.

There are really two groups of R/C pilots in the R/C community: LOS (Line of Sight) and FPV (First Person View). LOS pilots generally go to an AMA sanctioned airfields to fly. These fields are sponsered by clubs, and sometimes cooperatively with forest preserves/park districts, have the benefit of socialization with like minded people, and are insured. SAFETY is always #1 priority in our activites (and, sometimes equipment as well).

Do I blame the FPV pilots? Absolutely not, they are simply taking advantage of the newest technology. Anyone can go to hobbyking.com and purchase very sophisticated wireless telemetery, video/audio, and GPS equipment. It is HOW they use this equipment that is important.

Just like Mixed Gas Stated... New laws are in the works. Steve's depth of knowledge continues to astound me. What I have a real problem with is big government (USA, Federal Aviation Administration) handing down sweeping new legislation that will have a devastating impact on so many R/C people enjoying the hobby just because of 'a few bad apples' have the potential to misuse R/C equipment. Its happening right now. AMA is trying to work with the FAA with limited success.
    Some of the things I have heard are limitations of maximum altitude (400 feet is not that much when flying a 108" wingpsan model), max airspeed limits (a real problem for racing events and kerosene powered turbing models that already incorporate speed governers for 200 mph), proposed registration for models, new weight limits, etc, etc.

Resentment toward FPV is growing among some of the line of sight fliers for this reason.

A similar argument would be to outlaw the sale of all lasers to unlicensed people because some kids are abusing laser pointers... Punish everyone to try and protect others from asshats engaging in malicious activity?
    ... Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage ...

In my opinion other misuse of technology is Red light camera systems for ticketing motorists.

What a shame when technology comes full circle and has the potential to negatively impact our quality of life !

Sheesh this subject gets my blood boiling.... Thanks to all of you who share your laser shows so I can go home, put some smoke in the air and enjoy some beams and graphics!

-Jason

Lazerjock,

Yet another reason to be sure I attend SELEM next year! We can mix up some multicopter/ultra micro flights with lasering.... What could be more fun?

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Lazerjock,

Yet another reason to be sure I attend SELEM next year! We can mix up some multicopter/ultra micro flights with lasering.... What could be more fun?

-Jason
    This years SELEM I brought two of my micro quadcopters and Adam (Buffo) brought his micro fixed pitch copter. We had a great time flying out back off the loading dock. Definitely bring something to fly if you get to join us at SELEM 2014.

Here are a few from my fleet.
    Chris
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F-16 1.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	794.1 KB 
ID:	39856

Name:	C-130 5.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	303.1 KB 
ID:	39857

Name:	F-18 2.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	39858

Name:	Stearmans 2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	39861

Name:	Quad Fleet.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	864.7 KB 
ID:	39860
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stearmans 1.jpg  

Last edited by Lazerjock; 09-09-2013 at 11:42.