Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Amazing FPV R/C flight over New York.

I've got a collective pitch and a quad-copter on-order Chris. Should be here in about a week. My goal is to be able to hover inverted by the time next year's SELEM rolls around.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I've got a collective pitch and a quad-copter on-order Chris. Should be here in about a week. My goal is to be able to hover inverted by the time next year's SELEM rolls around.

Adam
    Awesome! I've corrupted another one.

I am going to hold you to that. I expect a demonstration next year.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    ...My goal is to be able to hover inverted by the time next year's SELEM rolls around.

Adam
    Dude, that is so NOT a scale helicopter maneuver...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka
    How so? Lots of guys with collective-pitch mini's can do it. I've seen youtube videos of people flying them underneath beds and stuff...

Or did you mean such maneuvers don't scale UP to the real thing? In that respect, I agree! Though you certainly have enough power to do it in a full-size helicopter - it's just a matter of whether you have enough pitch adjustment and whether you're willing to risk the bird (and your life) for a stunt like that...

Maybe you should have said "not a FULL-scale helicopter maneuver", since on a scale model it certainly is doable.

The real problem is that I don't know just how programmable the radio I'm getting will be. If I can program one of the toggle switches to invert the cyclic controls (in both X and Y), then once I get the beast flipped over onto it's back, I can flip one switch and the cyclic will behave normally. True, pitch and the tail rotor will still be inverted though... (Wonder if I could invert all 4? That would make it real easy!)

But without a fully-programmable radio, once you go inverted, ALL the controls are exactly backwards! That's probably when I'm going to crash the thing...

Adam

Not scale, as in 1:1 scale ...

If you're going for the inverted flight, I would definitely recommend a programmable helicopter radio with invert programming. They're actually pretty reasonable in price these days, although like anything else you could max out and spend a fortune.

Not that extravagant spending is a tendency of folks from this forum!!
    Last edited by Stuka; 09-13-2013 at 07:07.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Hey Randy......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYbx5H5e9Es

I saw this guy live at Sun n Fun a few years ago. He is the only person in the US certified by the FAA to fly a helicopter inverted. The heli is highly modified with titanium blade grips and carbon fiber rotors among other things. If you were to try some of the maneuvers he does with a regular helicopter you would likely cut the tail off from rotor flex when you went inverted. Most of his maneuvers are positive G or 0 G though. Very little negative stuff but he does do it.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    Hey Randy......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYbx5H5e9Es

I saw this guy live at Sun n Fun a few years ago. He is the only person in the US certified by the FAA to fly a helicopter inverted. The heli is highly modified with titanium blade grips and carbon fiber rotors among other things. If you were to try some of the maneuvers he does with a regular helicopter you would likely cut the tail off from rotor flex when you went inverted. Most of his maneuvers are positive G or 0 G though. Very little negative stuff but he does do it.

Chris
    Now that I can post without battling a jihad...

Yeah, that's some pretty cool maneuvering for a copter, no doubt.
    I've had the chance to see quite a bit of test footage from both current and past (never produced) birds from various military fleets, and it's pretty amazing to see what some of those machines are capable of doing!

Of course, what I was really referring to in my initial post was the inverted hovering ~
    Now THAT would be a 1:1 scale maneuver that would be something to see!!!

Randy
    RR

Sweet.....

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I'd like a ride in a BO-105 some day, which is the bird Red Bull uses. Or the very similar MD500 family. This is the stock BO-105 without the Red Bull modifications. All the maneuvers in this video are within the normal envelope of a stock, well tuned, BO-105. Pilot in video is "Charly" Karl Zimmermann

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ZUXNeBoHo

And then there is the Lynx with its very rigid rotor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-piEL58hsg

The scary part for the pilot, must be learning to depart from his training. Ie learning to do moves outside of the normal envelope.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-13-2013 at 08:16.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Pretty sure the pilot in the first video is a former Air Cav pilot ~
    The NOE maneuvering looks familiar...

I'm betting the Lynx pilot spent some time as an experimental test pilot -
    Awesome flying for a pretty heavy machine!
    Seems pretty good at walking the fine line between extreme aerobatics, and helicopter self destruction!

Definitely recommend some hands-on with a MD500 series of you get the chance.
    They are fun to fly, but very different than the Bell birds I logged most of my time in.

The MD's remind me of a really light, fast, maneuverable sports car without power steering!

Apologies to the OP for the numerous thread detours...
    RR

Sweet.....