Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who has an Ipad to test this?

Iphone to laser is already done before:

http://www.pangolin.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549

I think it will work similar for a Ipad

Lightbulb

I use VNC to control Showtime and Auto play at FLEM and SELEM all the time. I just got an iPad and it seems to work much faster on the iPad. I believe this is because the iPad has a faster processor than the iPod. I will test LivePro in a bit and report back.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Lightbulb

VNC works much better with LivePro on an iPad than an iPod. There is no delay that I can see. It also seems apps stay running in the background better; I can be reading a book, running VNC to run my desktop, and be able to bounce over to a web page and back through all three without them having to reload and still be exactly where I was in all three apps. The iPod would have to reload or reconnect when trying to go back and forth.

I just typed the above paragraph with VNC running in the BG and then jumped back to VNC, changed frames in LivePro, no reconnecting, and jumped back a here with no issues, delays, or anything...

I already made some tests one or two years before with my windows mobile 6.5 smartphone (RDP and VNC), but that's not really usable with a 3.7" touchscreen, that was just for fun.

Now that some tablets with bigger screens are available, it could be interessant to know if there's a software reactive and reliable enough to control remotely a laser software running on a distant computer...

BTW, android tablets are nice too, and way cheaper (Archos 101 for example). If there's a suitable solution on android I'll rather go with it

Lightbulb

I didn't and wouldn't pay what this thing costs to buy it myself. My Dad won it in a raffle and gave it to me for Christmas. I wouldn't have it otherwise. It would be nice to see something similar in capabilities go for $300 or so; I still see it as an iPod with a big screen. I am hooked on it as a gift though. . I seem to be whipping the battery's ass compared to my iPod... Maybe it does do more.

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post
    Iphone to laser is already done before:
    Yes, it will; because that is VNC...

RDP has significantly less overheads than VNC.
    RDP sends commands of what to render via the TCP/IP stack, and the local device renders them. VNC sends bitmap data for the display over the network, and updates the active area. You can usually get away with VNC over a WiFi connection; but is like pulling teeth / unusable over slower connections.

What I was meaning was a native iOS app that interfaced with the hardware for settings up zones + whatnot
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Default fb-3 quickshow

i pad works well with quickshow and fb-3. got the idea to try it from allthat
    jeff

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    Yes, it will; because that is VNC...

RDP has significantly less overheads than VNC.
    RDP sends commands of what to render via the TCP/IP stack, and the local device renders them. VNC sends bitmap data for the display over the network, and updates the active area. You can usually get away with VNC over a WiFi connection; but is like pulling teeth / unusable over slower connections.

What I was meaning was a native iOS app that interfaced with the hardware for settings up zones + whatnot
    Someone that has a mac and can build an iphone / ipad app should make one.
    Lasershow companies won't make software for a device like an phone because if the hardware becomes outdated or replaced then the software development is wasted effort.

But likely most people/everyone knows this already

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    Someone that has a mac and can build an iphone / ipad app should make one.
    *cough* Will do
    I just need to get the SDK from Pangolin at some point...
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    *cough* Will do
    I just need to get the SDK from Pangolin at some point...
    can't help you with that.
    what you can do is an program that allows you to press buttons and send out keystrokes / commands or a mouse macro's.
    then you don't need an SDK and can customize the interface yourself.
    Or try asking for an SDK.