Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: YAG head

its hard to tell its kinda a orangeish color

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by djmatt View Post
    its hard to tell its kinda a orangeish color

DJ Matt

Most likely Nd:YAG and 1064nm. Look at the resonator mirrors for numbers written on the edges.

Oh, also, one of those wires that go near the output coupler is most likely an intra-cavity shutter. If so, you will need to engage it before the laser will fire. Can you get a closer pic of where all those wires are running? And be freaking careful. It only takes a millisecond for a YAG to blind ya.

Hey, that looks really hazardous and dangerous.
    Better send it to me....
    I can *take care of disposal* of it for yah.
    Will there be three phase!!!!

Thats why I never really like them..and why Ive got some YAG glasses
    Ok I was looking at the head and I took the head off the mount and found that the purple and red are the trigger that goes to a cap under the head, so now it might lase! And Ive got a old water TEC cooler and pump that should work great
    lets see if it wil fire for me
    Thanks!

DJ Matt
    Last edited by djmatt; 01-10-2011 at 20:16.
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Thats why I never really like them..and why Ive got some YAG glasses
    Ok I was looking at the head and I took the head off the mount and found that the purple and red are the trigger that goes to a cap under the head, so now it might lase! And Ive got a old water TEC cooler that and pump that should work great
    lets see if it wil fire for me
    Thanks!

DJ Matt

Hmm... Are you sure those are for the trigger? I was thinking thermistor but I may be wrong. Are you actually seeing a trigger coil? can you clearly see through the optics and the cavity to the other side? if not, you have a shutter to deal with.

Yes that the coil..sorry not cap.. I got it to dimmly flash useing a 15w strobe light I had,but I know its not enoght to make it lase.. I was able to see and the bore is orangish-pink with I held it up to the light. The 2 wires go to the coil with then has a wire the runs under the water block to a contact,that goes in the cavity. I has a cool truning shutter in the front, that might be useful on another laser
    They still scare me a little but over all Im starting to like them
    Thanks for the info, and help!!
    I hope with this ice storm,Ill have some more time to mess with it

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Yes that the coil..sorry not cap.. I got it to dimmly flash useing a 15w strobe light I had,but I know its not enoght to make it lase.. I was able to see and the bore is orangish-pink with I held it up to the light. The 2 wires go to the coil with then has a wire the runs under the water block to a contact,that goes in the cavity. I has a cool truning shutter in the front, that might be useful on another laser
    They still scare me a little but over all Im starting to like them
    Thanks for the info, and help!!
    I hope with this ice storm,Ill have some more time to mess with it

DJ Matt
    Yeah, sounds like you got it now. SS lasers are dangerous but if you use common sense around energy storage capacitors and invisible high powered coherent photon bursts, you'll be fine. Once you pop a hole in a razor blade with the aid of a lens, you'll be hooked.

I'm not sure if you have enough voltage in your strobe to correctly fire the lamp but you could try a larger capacitor and see if it will lase then. Find something rated for at least 400VDC and like 50-400uF and replace it with the current cap. That may just do it if the voltage is high enough. What is the length of the lamp? wire to wire? That'll give me an idea of the arc length and rating.
    Last edited by 300EVIL; 01-10-2011 at 20:57.

Yeah..I found out the hard way about caps when I was 13...I took home some HPS lights for a warehouse and stated messing with them, fixed 2 and was messing with the 3rd when I put my knuckles across the 48uf 480v cap...so yeah.......
    Ok the flash tube is 6" long form tip to tip.
    the most I could make was about 825-850vdc in the shop and the last try I got it to dimmly flash, but still not enough..
    I do have a 800watt flash pot (just a huge strobe) that can pulse up to 1500watts and the tube in that is about 12" long,not sure if this tube could take that much or not? But I can turn the power down along with the pulse rate,so if you think that would work Ill give that a try?

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

I have one of those heads, I am fairly sure that it is an Er:yag head, which will lase somewhere between 1500-3000nm depending on which optics it has in it. Keep this in mind when selecting googles...

I haven't been able to power mine up yet, but i would expect it to take a good 100J or so before it will threshold. The tube should be good for a kW or so with water cooling.