Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: YAG head

Quote Originally Posted by djmatt View Post
    Well I have a new head, and the PFN and trigger for it as well! So now Ill have to see what it can do, ounce I figure out how to hook it up...lol
    DJ Matt

Like this.... http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/sgsp4sch.pdf

What I have looks more like this:
    http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/ssy1/1/400_3362.jpg
    Ive got the metal thing with the cap,and charger, and the trigger.

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Hi,
    I also managed to obtain one of these Er:Yag head, and I cant seem to trigger the flashlamp, eventhough the trigger wires(purple/blue and red) still present.
    I used an ignition coil as the trigger, and each time I ignite, the spark will tend to run frm the aluminium mounting the flashlamp's ends, back into one of the electrodes of the lamp.
    My connection of the coil is, one of the coil's lead attached to anode of flashlamp's circuit as ground, and the output of the ignition coil connects to the red/purple lead.
    Is still sparking outside the ends of the lamp...how can I rectify this without having to take apart the cavity and lamp and rewiring the trigger wire?

Thanks
    Daniel.

Default More info on these please

Quote Originally Posted by hologeek View Post
    That's an er:yag head, I have a bunch of them. The capacitors that were used with these are 75 uF 1.5 KV. These lasers have a built in trigger module, so they are externally triggered. For long life you will have to 'simmer' the flashlamp as was originally done...

I'd be super careful with flashlamp power supplies as they are absolutely lethal

I recently acquired 2 of these heads and I'm not able to figure out the tirgger wires, without having to take apart the head.
    So the two wires(red & blue/purple) are the trigger wires I noticed.
    You mentioned these laser heads have "built-in trigger module", if I got this right, the two leads(red & blue) connects to a power supply for the trigger module built inside the cavity block?
    If not, can you tell me more about the original wiring of the trigger for this laser head, eg.did they use the cavity as triggering to flashlamp or is there a trigger wire around the lamp?
    I wanted to do external triggering with my own trigger coil, where do I connect the coil's output? cause when I connect to either the red/blue, the spark goes to the sides of the lamp electrodes and the aluminium near the lamp...looks like the ignition spark not going inside ionizing the flashlamp.

Regards,
    Daniel.

Quote Originally Posted by arcsenal View Post
    I recently acquired 2 of these heads and I'm not able to figure out the tirgger wires, without having to take apart the head.
    So the two wires(red & blue/purple) are the trigger wires I noticed.
    You mentioned these laser heads have "built-in trigger module", if I got this right, the two leads(red & blue) connects to a power supply for the trigger module built inside the cavity block?
    If not, can you tell me more about the original wiring of the trigger for this laser head, eg.did they use the cavity as triggering to flashlamp or is there a trigger wire around the lamp?
    I wanted to do external triggering with my own trigger coil, where do I connect the coil's output? cause when I connect to either the red/blue, the spark goes to the sides of the lamp electrodes and the aluminium near the lamp...looks like the ignition spark not going inside ionizing the flashlamp.

Regards,
    Daniel.
    The DI water that envelopes the lamp during normal operation acts as an insulator directing the trigger pulse to the lamp. Though, If you are unable to get the lamp to ionize even with the arcing, I'd assume the lamp is toast. If the lamp is still good, you could use a HV (40KV) rectifier on the pulse coil and inject the pulse directly into the anode. This would solve your arcing issue but the laser would have to run at a very low duty cycle if you don't use the water cooling.

Default Flashing but not lasing

Managed to get the flashlamp flashing, but no output. I suspect the voltage input not sufficient for threshold, looking at the fact the arc length of these flashlamp is over 3".

Im currently using a photo flashgun that rns on 4AA batt. I connect 3 electolytic caps at 450V 500uf each, but stil insufficient for threshold.

Any advise? Also im thinking of using a 2KV 30uf Aerovox caps, butI dont have a power supply to charge it...anyone can give me an idea like what type of chargers/power supply(eg. NST) can be used?