Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: YAG head

Quote Originally Posted by hologeek View Post
    Good Effort...

What ever you do don't adjust the mirrors! I doubt those flexure mirror mounts are out of alignment.

You need more capacitance, way more. With 10uF you only get approx. 1 Joule of energy to the flashlamp, at 1500V only about 11 J. The original caps for these lasers are 75uF 1500V. At 1000V these original caps will provide ~37 joules to the flashlamp!

Capacitors for flashlamps seem unusually large and heavy if you haven't seen them before... In the back of your mind you'll think 'these must be dangerous' when they arrive in the mail...

How do you know it's not lasing??? At 2.94u you can't see it. I bet your lasing somewhat. Just get an appropriate capacitor and you'll be off to the races. Also, an easy way to check for lasing with a pulsed laser is Zapp-It alignment paper. Google it, then look for free samples.
    Yeah, 10uF ain't gonna cut it. Get one of these... http://cgi.ebay.com/Massive-Oil-Capa...item45f81f8acf

50uf will get you lasing.

Quote Originally Posted by hologeek View Post
    Good Effort...

What ever you do don't adjust the mirrors! I doubt those flexure mirror mounts are out of alignment.

You need more capacitance, way more. With 10uF you only get approx. 1 Joule of energy to the flashlamp, at 1500V only about 11 J. The original caps for these lasers are 75uF 1500V. At 1000V these original caps will provide ~37 joules to the flashlamp!

Capacitors for flashlamps seem unusually large and heavy if you haven't seen them before... In the back of your mind you'll think 'these must be dangerous' when they arrive in the mail...

How do you know it's not lasing??? At 2.94u you can't see it. I bet your lasing somewhat. Just get an appropriate capacitor and you'll be off to the races. Also, an easy way to check for lasing with a pulsed laser is Zapp-It alignment paper. Google it, then look for free samples.
    Oh wow!! Thats alot of juice to pump in to that small tube
    Cool!! Ill have to look for some!!
    I didnt see really any way to adjust the mirrors really, I just cleaned them and that was it.
    Im not sure if they will work but Ive got 4 250v 4000uf caps. They just look mean!!! The first time I messed with them, I blew a screw driver across the shop with just one...

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Good lord!!!!
    Hmm.. can we say rail gun?!

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by djmatt View Post
    Good lord!!!!
    Hmm.. can we say rail gun?!

DJ Matt
    Pfft, try this one... http://cgi.ebay.com/AeroStor-100-000...item43991ef6bd

I like this one..HEHEHE!!!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/HUGE-2000pF-300k...item4aa79dace8

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

I dont even want to be in the room when that thing goes off

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Get yourself a breadboard so you can quickly wire a controller like this...

Also, those aligator test leads really aren't rated for 1.5KV or many joules of current surge. Get some better wire and surely don't let them cross if you continue using. I can't stress enough that you can only make an accident once at these potentials.

A VERY solid design....

Quote Originally Posted by djmatt View Post

And is is. Your head is a little more complicated than an SSY1 however.

I'd suggest you do a little reading over at Sam's Laser FAQ on solid state lasers. Tons of good info.

Oh nice!!
    I hope to make a run out box for it
    Oh trust me,I get nevus working with high voltage suff, and Im a electrician!!! GO figure.. I mean I dont mind working on 480v and the rare 600v ac but when it comes to the DC stuff...man I dont like it!!!

Ounce I get it working, Ive got some HV wire that came off a neon sign thats says its good for 15,000v, but never trust the label..

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt