Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Protective eyewear , where do I get it?

defnitly keep an eye on ebay, i paid us$30 for laserguard's a while back.

Bargin 8)

Default Eyewear for 473/532/660nm

Hi and greetings from Finland! Nice to see an active forum with fellow laserists.

I'm in the process of building an RGB projector with output power around 1.2 watts. Since I've got a single pair of eyes, I thought it might make sense to invest into proper eyewear. 8)

Initially I was looking for 532nm glasses, but those give no protection against blue and red wavelengths that are on my shopping list after the 500mW green laser.

Does anyone know if there are single broadband glasses that are suited for these most common DPSS/diode wavelengths? Perhaps it's too costly to create filters with such a narrow absorption spectrum..

I'm sure you could find someone that was willing to make an optical coating that would work for all three wavelengths, but then you woudn't be able to see anything! The coatings that they use are not perfectly selective. They absorb a band of wavelengths. (ie: red goggles may be rated at 632.8 nm, but they actually filter from around 580 nm all the way down well past 700 nm) So if you had goggles that were coated for 650 nm, 532 nm, and 473 nm, the overlap between them would mean that you wouldn't be able to see anything at all!

For detailed alignment, you want to try and work with only one laser, or at the most two lasers, running at the same time. (Example: Align the green laser to the blue one wearing a set of argon goggles. The shut off the blue laser, dial back the power on the green, and align the red laser to the green one while wearing HeNe goggles.) It's not a perfect solution, but it's about the best you'll be able to do.

Checking the final alignment of all three in the far field is pretty tough to do with goggles on. You can try using a neutral density filter, but you won't be able to see much of anything. Bottom line, alignment is dangerous! :!:

Adam

PS: Welcome to the forum... 8) We've got a good group here; hope you enjoy it!

That's what I feared, apparently it's not feasible to manufacture filter that is coated for multiple very narrow ranges. Maybe I find two affordable pieces of eyewear (argon/KTP and krypton).

By the way, Trinity Technologies seems to have some low-cost glasses available.