Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: my projector fell....whats wrong with it now? please help..

Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    i have yet to test with the multimeter and im to afraid to screw the plate loose to check there for broken solder joints.

I do have ordered the PT-30k from phenix and a new PT-ITRUST set.
    hopefully they will be enough to make this thing work, and make it even better

and on a side offtopic note: there are really not much moderators around here
    You shouldn't be afraid to undo the circuit board.

If you are worried about putting it back again take a close up photo and mark each connector and it's mating socket with coloured cd marker pens. Use a different colour for each connector or make 1 line, 2 lines, 3 lines and so on. Just mark one side so you know which way around they go.

He who dares wins and there are plenty of helpful people here if you get stuck.

There are no moderators though as only members with good manners avoid the mighty 'Cluebyfour' of admin.

Don't give up there is help here, but you must also help yourself; consider this to be a learning opportunity
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Damn dude,

In a few weeks time you

- broke a dichro
    - broke a galvo mirror
    - broke the complete projector

You really need to be more careful with this delicate equipment.

Maybe its better you wrap it bubble foil, put it in gently in a box in leave it there and take it to the miniLEM in two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post
    Damn dude,

In a few weeks time you

- broke a dichro
    - broke a galvo mirror
    - broke the complete projector

You really need to be more careful with this delicate equipment.

Maybe its better you wrap it bubble foil, put it in gently in a box in leave it there and take it to the miniLEM in two weeks.
    i am careful with this equipment thats why i take masterpj's advice and, indeed, put it away and leave it there until its time to bring it to the mini lem.
    There i hope to see how its done
    so sorry @doc but i dont want to take any riscs that i might fuuk something up

and again, im sorry ive put this topic in this section. i think its kinda weird though that there are no moderators here.
    What if someone starts to spam or something...
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

online communities consisting of mature individuals (where many even know each other in person) and are joined together by a common cause/hobby/interest, tend to self regulate quite efficiently

"its called character briggs..."

i dont want to take any riscs that i might fuuk something up
    I suspect that unless you start to be a bit more adventurous, this hobby will be quite short lived, and very expensive because you'll have nothing of value to sell on to recoup money, as it'll be broken anyway.

I would say that given the current state of things, there's not much left to f*ck up anyway, so you don't have much to lose.

I agree with mccarrott, it reads like a tale of woe from start to finish, from initial buying decision, to every mishap thats happened since, but hopefully the good that may come from it are:
    a) you get to the LEM and get it sorted with the help from the good folk there (until the next accident or failure), and..
    b) other people like you may learn from the story without having to go through the same process

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I suspect that unless you start to be a bit more adventurous, this hobby will be quite short lived, and very expensive because you'll have nothing of value to sell on to recoup money, as it'll be broken anyway.

I would say that given the current state of things, there's not much left to f*ck up anyway, so you don't have much to lose.

I agree with mccarrott, it reads like a tale of woe from start to finish, from initial buying decision, to every mishap thats happened since, but hopefully the good that may come from it are:
    a) you get to the LEM and get it sorted with the help from the good folk there (until the next accident or failure), and..
    b) other people like you may learn from the story without having to go through the same process
    i do not have any regrets if you ment that.
    i knew when purchasing that i would probaly had a low end projector and needed to upgrade it sooner or later. That will happen the 30th i hope. then it will be a descent projector, not a crappy projector.
    i am happy to become adventerous and mess with things. but if you never touched electronica before wouldnt you want to to see somebody do it for you as a example so you can follow?
    i messed up the projector but that was a unfortunate event, not something that could be prevented unless i had eyes to see in the future. and its not messed up completly, i suspect the only thing broken is the dmx board.
    what i AM sad about, is that the dichro's were not aligned properly by the company.
    That could have been better service no matter how expensive a projector is.
    in that sight, i could wish i bought another projector maby 30 dollar more expensive from another company.
    i got 100 dollar back from CASA because the trouble i was having, i dont call that bad service.
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post

On the other hand, he is learning (the hard way) that mirrors/dichros are delicate. He is learning you get what you pay for (the hard way).

I think that considering he is young, new to the hobby etc. he has learn t some valuable lessons. And what better projector to learn on. No he needs to slow down, take stock, make some notes and diagnose the fault and fix it. Especially before the new galvos arrive.

BTW, we need a Klutz award.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    BTW, we need a Klutz award.
    hey, that's a good one! imagine what all the rest could learn from all the "klutz award nominees" !

i for one, would be trying hard to get this award

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    hey, that's a good one! imagine what all the rest could learn from all the "klutz award nominees" !

i for one, would be trying hard to get this award
    You might have to fight Andy for it!

I think a great name for this award would be the "Golden Love Fingers Award".

Awarded to those that fuck everything they touch!
    This space for rent.

i don't want to, he looks like a nice guy, but i am a real sucker for awards... so bring it on mr con

there was this mythical king called midas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midas) who had some sort of unlucky coincidence with a genie and after that, everything he touched turned to gold
    so we could establish the MIDAS awards and maybe someone could come up with a clever idea of what m.i.d.a.s could stand for