Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heads up, possible free gas laser rig....

Default Heads up, possible free gas laser rig....

Just a heads up that Lowell Cross posted on the ProAudio mailing list that he has a Coherent 52G-MG with power supply (needs a regas) and some sort of beam table in Iowa City that is going free (but you have to remove it).

I am not going to post Prof. Crosses email address without his permission but he is not hard to find if anyone is interested in taking a truck and hauling it away.

Regards, Dan.

Id like to see the beam table!

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

The guy is one of the serious old school laser artists, and IF this is the table from his 1980s era stuff it is a cool blast from the past.

http://www.lowellcross.com there are some photos of his beam tables on there, but I have no idea which one he is giving away.

Regards, Dan.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

A 52-MG is a graphite tube and may have the older soft coated white light optics. Its not a choice for a refurb. Lowell Cross's gear belongs in the Smithsonian or at least some place where it will be preserved.

Phone call/email made to two persons who can attempt to get it in the Smithsonian or other museum One who will get it working for sure for preservation.

IF its the "table"

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 01-19-2011 at 05:44.

Lowell Cross (again).....
    This guy is amazing he never stops pushing us all forward

The big Daddy of laser shows

Fine dude

Cheers

Ok, I popped him an email to ask him to hold off on disposal for a day or two to give Steve a chance to try and get it into a museum (Clearly the right thing to do), and have forwarded Steve his email address.

IF it is THAT table it really wants to go to a collection somewhere, and not be broken for parts, we will see.

Regards, Dan.

And if it is "that" laser!

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    And if it is "that" laser!

We're working on it. Efforts are under way for preservation. Long shot, but we just might pull it off.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    We're working on it. Efforts are under way for preservation. Long shot, but we just might pull it off.

Steve
    I'd like to possibly throw up my services. I got a 12' diesel box truck with a liftgate and I'm about 220 miles from Iowa city. I have no clue how big this "Beam Table" is but I know how to properly pack and move laser gear. I'm not free but would definitely be interested in aiding to cause.

It is the six scan head Laser/Vision III. Yeah, "THAT" one. I have been on the Phone with Dr Cross. Wonderful gentleman.

Unit one was a sort of partial rental from some one else and is unknown at this time

Unit Two was destroyed after the exhibition.

Unit three was in use til 1985 and is the one mentioned above. It is the touring laser. Except for the graphite tube which will possibly have pressure issues, it is probably in working order and he has the show tapes on CD. In other words, well preserved.

Sharp as a tack.

He would like to see photons run through it, in its new home, on public display.

The I Beam is split, so it is easier to handle then it looks.

No road cases, I take it he dislikes them as much as the rest of us ion guys do. So it rode to the gigs on the floor of the van. Which is the classic pro way.

Whomever goes, be it me or Evil, needs to take a camcorder or voice recorder.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 01-20-2011 at 10:23.