Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Preserving Laser Show History: Video/Laser III

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Its safe for now, but we need help, mostly by writing proposals, and making calls to Museums, to get it a permanent home.
    Some on needs to help with some Social Networking so we can find it a good home. PLers, this is a chance to get involved.

Steve

Default hmmm

Based on the image in the first post I think I have seen recordings of the out put from this system. Bill Benner invited me and another friend to a laserists spot in SF, think this was 1999? But someone asked if we wanted to watch some laser video output. The laser art work I saw that day was insane! Least I think it was out put from this sucker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19800000-SixColor.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	28100
    Last edited by Picasso; 10-18-2011 at 12:13.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Its safe for now, but we need help, mostly by writing proposals, and making calls to Museums, to get it a permanent home.
    Some on needs to help with some Social Networking so we can find it a good home. PLers, this is a chance to get involved.

Steve
    Yes, the entire system is intact and has been carefully packed and stored in a climate controlled environment. I was planning on partially restoring the system as in replacing the missing galvos, cleaning the system and getting it back to it's original condition but time and family issues have not allowed for this.

It is a truly awesome piece of history and is awaiting it's final placement in a facility where many can appreciate it's quality and legacy.

If anyone has an idea or can facilitate in getting this system into a museum or other public facility, please contact Steve or I so we can arrange a home for this system.
    Thanks!
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    The Exploratorium, up in San Fran, CA, here, would also be a great home, but alas, they're 'moving' inside of 2 years, and it's chaos, right now, for them...
    they said "call us in 2.5 yrs..."
    Have you tried the California Academy of Sciences? They have a wonderful new building in Golden Gate Park, and the Bay Area is very tied up in laser history, what with the first public laser show ever being in Oakland...

Thumbs up brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    Have you tried the California Academy of Sciences?
    OMG, Of-course!! How could I miss doing that math, and I was just there, this past-Monday! I will be talking to them, in the coming weeks, and I will most-certainly bring it up, at least... we're looking to (...possibly... no assumptions, here... bring-back, *ahem* 'certain laser-shows' to the Morrison...
    We'll see... but yes, I will mention to them, Thanks for the suggestion...

..and, ps, anyone who has not visited The Planetarium / Museum / Aquarium / Amazon Eco-Ball, there... GO - the place is awesome, I could spend an entire day in the aquarium reef-room there, dive-reminiscing... Undersea *is* outer-space...

Thx...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

the day i figure out how to make abstracts like that....

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
    Based on the image in the first post I think I have seen recordings of the out put from this system. Bill Benner invited me and another friend to a laserists spot in SF, think this was 1999? But someone asked if we wanted to watch some laser video output. The laser art work I saw that day was insane! Least I think it was out put from this sucker.

Name:	19800000-SixColor.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	28100
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post
    ...what can we do to make people feel the 'wow' effect again when a laser is turned on, instead of going 'hey, here's another one of those cheap Chinese gadgets again...'?
    ..we might have an 'idea or two'... Looking into (..no, not *now*, AFTER all my backlog is delivered... marketing a Laserium-branded / fx-library populated 4-port 'Mini Rail Projector, with up to 4x4x4x4 (..sorry, don't know how to do a 'superscript' power in PL-text.. permutations, for variety.. Think if it as a super-compact '4-port Mobolazer', with 4-high expandability - on each port - and zero 'wonkiness', due to very-HD construction, mashed-up with a mini-version of this system... NOT 'spamming', here, just sayin' - in part, the 'answer to your question' is having a such-like pj with 'variety' / flexibility, as it's foundation.. Then, as has-been so truthfully pointed out in a sublime sig-line, 'it's not what you've got - it's what you DO with it'..

Once the Exploratorium settes-in, a bit more, will be giving them a 'bump' about display / preservation consideration for this legacy-projector (the Cross-sys..).. and, CalAcad, also.. we'll see..

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    the day i figure out how to make abstracts like that....
    Oh, yer doin just fine, m8.. Like I always say - we just need to plug yer brain, thru LSX, into a 6B console...
    j

I just added to my collection a poster for the performance of this Video Laser III projector in Mexico City in May, 1976. If the system is in the way, I'm in a position now with the space to store it along with the rest of the collection. Also starting to get serious about putting together a permanent public home for them, likely in Silicon Valley.

Here's a pic of the poster:

Name:	Video Laser Poster.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	453.9 KB 
ID:	39480

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    Here's a pic of the poster:
    Hah! That's just great.. Love the 'new definition of LASER', lol.. It still 'works', actually.. "Light, Art, Sound, Electronics, and Beams (Rays)" ..'bout sums it up.. ..And, 'sponsored by the University of Iowa' - wow, I guess they had a few bux, back in the day..

Great touchstone, Bob.. thanks for posting..
    j