Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3ds to Laser question.

Question 3ds to Laser question.

Ok...i am pretty new to this conversion thing, so bare with me.

I own 3ds max 2010/illustrate! plugin/ILDA SOS/Quickshow 2

What i want to do is take a simple 3d object (for instance a vase/book) and covert this object so that i can use it in Pangolin Quickshow as a true 3D object, so i can spin it around/zoom in...etc.

Can anybody point me to a tutorial? or something. I tried to search the forum, but all i can find is a tut about converting them to a static ILDA frame, and i need a true 3D object.

Thanks in advance

As creation within QS is somewhat limited you'll need to create it wholly in LD then import it as ILDA into the workspace. You can then save it in QS format after that if you desire by opening it in the QS editor.

I can't offer any help on the creation side of things other than to say that QS can't do it itself unless you use 2 frames 1 start and 1 end and the animate button.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    As creation within QS is somewhat limited you'll need to create it wholly in LD then import it as ILDA into the workspace. You can then save it in QS format after that if you desire by opening it in the QS editor.

I can't offer any help on the creation side of things other than to say that QS can't do it itself unless you use 2 frames 1 start and 1 end and the animate button.
    I don't have LD.

OK.

To animate in QS, you need a start frame, then an end frame ie 2 frames at completely different ends of your desired animation.

eg If I take my Trillobyte frame and rotate it around to create a different position as if the animal had moved, I get this:

A start frame and an end frame where the Trillobyte has turned round.

Click the animate button, select the number of desired frames (I chose 40), and what it gives you is what you get:

In this case 38 medium frames between the 1st image and the 2nd image:

This works well for this example but obviosuly a vase where the pattern may be the same start and finish will create problems. So you might need to create in an ILDA editor if you want the extra control.

QS's creation side is deliberately basic to ensure it doesn't compete with Beyond as QS is semi professional and obviously Beyond will be the full blown professional product.

I should have said there is a frame rotate control in the animation editor itself that might help with creation of the end frame.

For something like a book, I think you'd have to animate it in several sections from face to edge on then, from edge on to back face, from back face to edge, from edge to face.
    Last edited by White-Light; 03-01-2011 at 03:58.

Lassie, the best way to do exactly what you want to do, is search on here for my post about using google sketchup and ILD SOS to create true 3D frames. To do this you'll need google sketchup, the plugin from that thread, and to turn processing steps off in ILD SOS, and import as vector data.

EDIT: found the link
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...-3D-ILDA-files
    Last edited by drlava; 03-01-2011 at 10:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Lassie View Post
    Ok...i am pretty new to this conversion thing, so bare with me.

I own 3ds max 2010/illustrate! plugin/ILDA SOS/Quickshow 2

What i want to do is take a simple 3d object (for instance a vase/book) and covert this object so that i can use it in Pangolin Quickshow as a true 3D object, so i can spin it around/zoom in...etc.

Can anybody point me to a tutorial? or something. I tried to search the forum, but all i can find is a tut about converting them to a static ILDA frame, and i need a true 3D object.

Thanks in advance
    Yessir I can help you out, just a moment I will upload the neede file for your illustrate plugin.

Hmm not sure if you want to know this but here is it anyway:

Ok I'm going to guide you through it brief and quick, so pay attention.

Open 3ds max.
    Click the illustrate tab and make sure you start the wizard.
    Now most of the settings in this wizard can just be clicked next.
    But except 3 things:
    - Choose black as background in the wizard.
    - Choose for .dxf where you are able to
    - make sure you do save image sequence from !within! the wizard (NOT IN THE NORMAL RENDER SETTINGS THAT ONE SHOULD BE LEFT Empty/unticked

Make sure that you make a seperate map because you will freak out when seeing a huge amount of .dxf files in sequence messing up a map and you might not want that.

- ok now download this and leave the illustrate window open after your done with the wizard:

http://www.mediafire.com/?n14ekfbm9425srh
    This should be imported which can be imported in the illustrate dialog window.
    Import all these settings and overwrite. (click yes)

If you done well you see something with colour outline added to the list.
    if yes: great
    If not: you did something wrong, try again.

Now click this one and assign to all objects *this can be found in the tabs from the illustrate dialog window*

Make sure you do this everytime you add a new object, else It will not do a correct hidden outline.

Then open ildsos and click the first file of the .dxf sequence.
    Then let ildsos do it's work on the importing and the rest of the functions from ildsos should speak for itself

There your done.
    Repeat this everytime you want to do something new (a new project that is)
    It looks hard and tedious but the steps above go faster then you think.
    Now....... go forth and experiment!

Oooooooh...thanks guys for these great tips and tuts!. I hope one day i can return the favor.

/Dutchmode on

Dank je Masterpj! je bent een held.

/Dutchmode off

Quote Originally Posted by Lassie View Post
    Oooooooh...thanks guys for these great tips and tuts!. I hope one day i can return the favor.
    Don't mention it.
    We help eachother, and In my case I don't expect anything in return.
    I neither think the others think so.

Btw I see you live in the netherlands.
    Care to join a LEM once ?

Yes, maybe...although it depends on when it is. Most of the time i am to busy doing things.