Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to use illustrate and 3Ds Max, the right way.

No problem man!
    Happy to help.

Let me post this here to avoid multiple or cross posting:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...652#post229652
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Let me post this here to avoid multiple or cross posting:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...652#post229652
    I see it, thanks for the post.
    Thought i still highly advice laserboy to do optimization, sure its nice to leave images unnafected.. but whats the use if you can hardly see what is being scanned due to high pointcount?

If you are using a DAC other than a sound card, then you will want to use different values for some of the settings in LB. Waves are typically 48K pps.

Look in the [Tab] menu for items 3 & 4. These numbers designate the spacing of points added to long lines to control the scanners velocity. They are in points relative to the size of the entire space, which is based on 16 bit signed integers. In other words, from one side of the 3D cube to the other is 65535 points. Higher numbers will give you fewer points along straight lines. It will also increase scanner velocity. But that is also a factor of your DAC's scan rate in points per second.

You can also use added span points along long lines as an effect of art. Every new vector created by breaking up a line can be given a different color. As an example, there are ways to span colors of a palette through consecutive points to create gradient effects. So, these numbers might be set to just about any value for different effects.

Item 5 is in microseconds so it really doesn't matter what your pps is. But this number has to do with how many points get added to corners. The most points added will be for a 180 degree corner. That is a total turn around. Lesser angles will get fewer points.

When minimizing points, [Tab] items 1 & 2 come into play. Item 1 is the angle detected between three consecutive vertices. If that angle is equal to or less than this number then it is considered to be a straight line and is removed in the minimization process. Item 2 is purely a matter of proximity of consecutive vertices. If they are this close together in coordinate space, they are considered to be equal and all but one of them are removed. These things can be set in a way that will really mess up your art!

When minimizing vectors, they must be the same color to be considered redundant or unnecessary. If consecutive vectors are different colors they are considered to be distinct and therefor important elements in the art.

Also, item 7 has to do with dots. A dot is a vector with no magnitude or direction. It is two consecutive vertices at the same coordinates. Sometimes you want these! Like stars! Sometimes they are just left over artifacts from DXF imports. If you want them, then maybe you want to accentuate them by dwelling on them to make sure they are nice and bright. The combination of items 7 and 8 control this.

From the main menu, in menu x, there is a setting to remove equal vectors. This can also be useful for certain DXF imports.
    Last edited by james; 04-26-2012 at 13:10.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Red face

I actively use ILDA SOS in my work. Using the original "outlines" profile of Illustrate I had a lot of work with the original 3D model. Now I made a rough model for an hour and got a good result. Thank you Masterpj !
    Hello oleger, can you show me your ILDSOS settings?

Quote Originally Posted by bass1387 View Post
    Hello oleger, can you show me your ILDSOS settings?
    Hello! I do not use constants setting. I tune each file individually in a live preview mode.

Quote Originally Posted by oleger View Post
    Hello! I do not use constants setting. I tune each file individually in a live preview mode.
    In a live preview mode inside the ILDSOS?

Quote Originally Posted by bass1387 View Post
    In a live preview mode inside the ILDSOS?
    Yes. I put a signal to the laser. And optimizes picture browsing it on the laser.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sos.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	34334

Quote Originally Posted by oleger View Post
    Yes. I put a signal to the laser. And optimizes picture browsing it on the laser.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sos.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	34334
    Understood. But my DAC didn't connect to the ILDSOS. Although my Windows 7 can see it. What's may be wrong?

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

What DAC? Can you see it in the dropdown list?