Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who has 445 diodes for sale?

Well, I got my diodes today (thanks Daguin!) but now I don't know how to fcking focus 'em .. It's alllllways sumptin' ...
    btw/ .. where's the cathode on these 445s? (yes.. it's toddy-time) ..

-edit-

Also I don't understand this:
    * 405-G-1 glass lens - 608mA's
    * AixiZ 405 glass lens - 530mW's

Was the 1st line supposed to be mW not mA?

.. And who is the mfg of the 405-G series, Thorlabs? They're about 10X expensive as the Aixiz and O-Like ..
    Last edited by steve-o; 03-15-2011 at 16:30. Reason: Wine .. time ..

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Well, I got my diodes today (thanks Daguin!) but now I don't know how to fcking focus 'em .. It's alllllways sumptin' ...
    btw/ .. where's the cathode on these 445s? (yes.. it's toddy-time) ..

-edit-

Also I don't understand this:

Was the 1st line supposed to be mW not mA?

.. And who is the mfg of the 405-G series, Thorlabs? They're about 10X expensive as the Aixiz and O-Like ..
    Yes. That should read "608mW" Sorry.

The pinout is the same as the 405nm diodes
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blu-raypinout-1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	24093

The case is neutral. Just FYI, in case you didn't already figure it out, the salmon colored "spacer" is not necessary

If you are looking for better beam spec's (with just the collimation lens), go with the O-Like/AixiZ. If you are trying to squeeze as much output from it as you can (I guess for bragging rights?), go with the G type.

I don't remember who makes the G type lens. I can ask Jay or Will.

Peace,
    dave

Thumbs up

Thanks Dave!

And who is the mfg of the 405-G series, Thorlabs?
    You *can* buy them from Thorlabs, they are a reseller of Rochester aspheric stock; but expect to pay >$90 per lens.

The actual lens manufacturer is Rochester Precision Optics.
    And the lens is the A-671 (from memory...). That is where Will et al. buy them from.
    Pricing is in the region of $20-25 for medium quantities <100.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Hmm, well.. food for thought.
    Are both O-like and Aixiz having the 2 different models floating around with the brownish tint or bad AR coatings, or just one of the 2 companies?

Are the Rochesters avalable for $20-25, Daniel?

Hmm, well.. food for thought.
    Are both O-like and Aixiz having the 2 different models floating around with the brownish tint or bad AR coatings, or just one of the 2 companies?

We have not found any consistent predictor of when one or more of these will show up. Based on returns, I believe that AixiZ is now "filtering out" at least the "blueish" ones. Keep in mind that it is very difficult to visually discern the difference when looking at only one of them. Even if the reseller is aware of the difference, "spot checking" a large incoming order would probably not catch them.

Bear in mind, that the ~$50 price I mentioned includes a machined lens nut that allows the lens to be used in the standard AixiZ module (and some "middle man" profit ). The G type lenses have a much shorter focal distance than the stock acrylic lens does. If you are going to mount the lens yourself, it would be less $.

Peace,
    dave

I doubt it for single sample orders...
    I only talked with them about quantities of 100.
    $50 is expensive, yet probably the cheapest in an odd way at the same time, for low quantities.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Ok, I get it now (took me long enough, huh.. ) The olike/aixiz chops off part of the beam (hence the pwr-loss) to make a nice round beam; the 405-G does not. That should however be able to be corrected w/ an anamorphic prizm pair or DrLavas cyl lenses, right? I think I'll go w/ the G-1's . About $55 each .. I can afford about 1 right now.
    Good to be back in the $pit .. :/ I'll be leaving soon again right after completion of this RGB. (j/k) ..

Ok, I get it now (took me long enough, huh.. ) The olike/aixiz chops off part of the beam (hence the pwr-loss) to make a nice round beam; the 405-G does not. That should however be able to be corrected w/ an anamorphic prizm pair or DrLavas cyl lenses, right? I think I'll go w/ the G-1's . About $55 each .. I can afford about 1 right now.
    Good to be back in the $pit .. :/ I'll be leaving soon again right after completion of this RGB. (j/k) ..
    I don't know if "chopped off" is how I would describe the process. However, since the O-Like/AixiZ is a three-element lens, there is better beam shaping, with the loss associated with three lenses. It also sits farther away from the diode window, so more of the light is bounced around before it is collected by the lens.

Yes. The anamorphic prisms and/or dralva's cylinder lens set goes after the lenses we are speaking of. I'll pop you a link with Jay's contact info. I simply do not know if he is or wants to be active here <shrug>

Peace,
    dave

Thanks again Dave.
    I guess that is his choice (?)
    What I was referring to above is that some lenses cannot collect all of the fast axis output of the diode due to the spacing of the diode from the lens. (If it's too far away some of the light might spill over the lens, making an apparent better beam circularsation at the expense of power output [wasting some of the beam]. I don't know if I'm explaining this correctly, but I've seen it happen. I don't know if this is the case for these LD / lens combinations or not.. I guess I'll find out shortly!
    Have a good one!
    Thanks everybody!