Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laser Safety

Yup , laser safety is of deep concern especially when playing/aligning open DPSS units and short pulse yags.
    The problem is when the OD gets up there the visibility is nil , nothing , nada .
    My solution that has worked out quite well is the use of video goggles.
    This allows viewing of the invisible and visible outputs and has maximum visibility with no chance of eye damage no matter what the wavelength or power output.

They look stupid but work superbly !

Full head enclosure video goggles great alternative !

Dave

Yes, Thats a very good idea..

I often use an old CCD camera and a monitor to align DPSS units
    or anything that is IR...
    Altho somewhat bulky and cumbersome during aligment
    It sure saves the eye's from accidents.

I'd rather take-out a camera than my only set of peepers,
    Hehe, If that happened .. My lasers wouldnt be any fun anymore.
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Yes , I was doing this but as with the dark goggles , I was always tempted lo lift 'em or look past the monitor :?
    So , to the junk box and I built a cheat proof set ,

Big tin can with shoulder cutouts , beat up portable DVD player sereen stuck on the inside , cheap B&W hi res PCB camera stuck on the outside . Put on the wife's reading glasses , sling this thing on my head and I am good to go !

Face front and center in the work and eyes wide open and no urge to cheat while both hands free to work and make focus/filter adjustments.

Ive been meaning to get a nice full face motorcycle helmet and build a nice professional looking one but the one I have now has been great.

My biggest fear for the newcomer to lasers is the safety for the eyes. With the large amount of high power laser diodes becoming available for short money and the urge for the newcomer to attempt to build/modify a DPSS unit, this spells trouble.

Everybody wants more power , MORE POWER :twisted: but with this power comes the risk .

Why does it seem that laser goggles are harder to find than the lasers we need protection from ?

No 2nd chances Keep those eye's safe !

Dave

Big tin can with shoulder cutouts , beat up portable DVD player sereen stuck on the inside , cheap B&W hi res PCB camera stuck on the outside . Put on the wife's reading glasses , sling this thing on my head and I am good to go !
    I'd love to see pictures of that :lol:

Jim

:idea:

We should do a poll for the "best" all around pair of goggles and try and work a group buy...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo
    I'd love to see pictures of that :lol:
    I was thinking the same thing! I've got visions of a lame 1950's-era TV space-robot-looking thing. "Danger Will Robinson! Danger!" (Of course, with the voice suitably muffled since it's coming from inside a trash can!)

I don't mean to poke fun, but seriously - this thing sounds like it looks goofy as hell. I have no doubt that it is *quite* safe, and it's not really fair to laugh about safety, but - damn dude... You have *got* to post a picture of this thing on your head.

Turning serious for a moment, if I ever got the urge to play around with the innards of a DPSS laser, I would probably set up something similar. It's a great way to make sure you are safe, and when you are dealing with a high power IR pump diode, it makes good sense. (You don't get a blink/brightness aversion reflex with IR like you do with visible light, so you can cook your eyes without even knowing it.) But I'm basically a chicken-shit at heart, which is why I'll probably never tear into a DPSS unit in the first place. (I've had a couple high voltage power supplies sitting on a shelf for several years now. I snagged them on E-bay for next to nothing, but I've been too worried about shocking the shit out of myself to ever even power them up!)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Yea man... The CDRH really mucks up good displays... If im not miskaken, over in Europe they have just have "guidelines" to fallow... And they are not even 1/10th as insane as US regulatory requirements.

Saw a great video from a club Epsilon in Poland...

http://www.download17.vel.pl/letsmix.mpg

Thats how shows should be
    Damn, those are beautiful--oh, and the lasers are nice too..

Quote Originally Posted by weakstation View Post
    Yup , laser safety is of deep concern especially when playing/aligning open DPSS units and short pulse yags.
    The problem is when the OD gets up there the visibility is nil , nothing , nada .
    My solution that has worked out quite well is the use of video goggles.
    This allows viewing of the invisible and visible outputs and has maximum visibility with no chance of eye damage no matter what the wavelength or power output.

They look stupid but work superbly !

Full head enclosure video goggles great alternative !

Dave
    where did you get them ?
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts