Thread: Gadget Show Laser Danger?

Default Gadget Show Laser Danger?

Don't know if any of you saw the Gadget Show last night but Ortis performed the Final Countdown to the NEC at Birmingham.

In the set up before the shows (15 in total), it was stated that the laser was 12 WATTS!!!

At around 2 mins 8 secs you can see the performers walk into the beams.

At 2 mins 19 secs and others Otis is side on to the laser in the beams.

Another view here:

12 WATTS from 15-20 feet, that can't be safe especially with pupils dilated through sunglasses unless of course they're laser glasses disguised as sunglasses but then I wouldn't have thought they could have seen on stage and especially to view his ipad as surely 12 watts requires quite a high OD level from that distance.
    Last edited by White-Light; 04-19-2011 at 05:55.

Safety of lasershows can't be judged on basis of youtube movies alone. We've been there, done that. You'll need specific details provided by the laserist in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    Safety of lasershows can't be judged on basis of youtube movies alone. We've been there, done that. You'll need specific details provided by the laserist in particular.
    Yeah I know but I'm sure on the Gadget Show itself they said it was 12 watts.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Yeah I know but I'm sure on the Gadget Show itself they said it was 12 watts.
    if those were 12 watts the performers would do some new dance moves when they got struck by the beams..
    Last edited by swamidog; 04-19-2011 at 08:08. Reason: caveman grammer
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I don't know if you can watch this in the US:

(there's 90 secs of advertising before you can watch the video, I surfed elsewhere for a while)

http://fwd.channel5.com/gadget-show/...-15-episode-10

But at 28mins 40 secs he states "I have a state of the Art 12 Watt laser set up at the back of the stage"

The laser was controlled remotely from an ipad using a free dmx app.
    Last edited by White-Light; 04-19-2011 at 10:01.

questions of safty aside that was one of the most retarded things i have ever seen ion my life wow i will never get that time back from watching that video

I saw this last night and I did wonder how it got past HSE...

On the title screenshot of that second video you can see the laser standing on the floor at the back of the stage in front of the video screen. During the program, he did point to it and declare it was a 12 watt laser. However, this does not mean it was running at full power during that show, it looked bright in the video but we all know that old chestnut It looked like an RGB Lasersystems unit with the scanhead attached by an optical ring. The thing that concerned me was that it appeared to be just standing and not fixed, so if it fell over things wouldn't have been so pretty... But again, I must state that although it looked dodgy on TV, it may have been safe as houses. Could have been fixed from underneath...

The other interesting thing was PollyAnna (Shhhwwwwiiiiing) Woodward. She used a length of fibre fed with an RGB laser. They briefly showed the laserist making the colour cycle in LD2000..
    On stage, PollyAnna (Shhhwwwiiingg) and her troupe of dancers swung the fibre round like a skipping rope with the colour cycle running. The effect was pretty cool, but by no means stunning. I would have thought manhandling live fibre like that could also result in something unfavourable...

The name of the showco was displayed when they were explaining the technology and they are a reputable company, so I'm fairly sure it was safer than the TV camera's showed us...

By the way did I mention?

Shhhwiiiiinnnggg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n52sv0fxjp6ws20w.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	24570

Just my 2p

urrm, polly anna, indeed

I also noticed the laser flashing past the camera and presenters faces, and yes it looked a bit dodgy,
    I also know that the venue have normally hired an independent LSO,
    The laser was clamped to a stand or pole from under the back of the stage, and it appeared to be a Laser image OPSL, most likely from laser grafix, just like the Fibre system fed from a RGB OPSL, very nice,

I would be sure they did a safe job. things aren't always what they seem as we know,

Yep, if it was a 12W RGB laser then the green would've been nowhere near that on its own - but as we all know, the big numbers make for good TV!

I expect there was a flux capacitor involved somewhere along the line too
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.