Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM V in Newton, NC August 19-21; Need input (and volunteers) now!

MasterPJ,
    That would be great if you can make it to SELEM. I'm sure you have the furthest to travel.

Chris
    Last edited by Lazerjock; 04-12-2011 at 05:23.

So is there an possibility to sleep on the LEM during the time it is held?

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    So is there an possibility to sleep on the LEM during the time it is held?
    Sleep is a waste of time and besides, they start putting breakfast out around 4am at the Holiday Inn.

-J

Quote Originally Posted by platinum View Post
    Sleep is a waste of time and besides, they start putting breakfast out around 4am at the Holiday Inn.

-J

GREAT! Sounds like my lem.

Question 2: is there cola?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    I'm assuming the stage will be set up similar to last year's SELEM - scrim in the center, projector scaffolding left / right.
    it would be nice if the top platform of the scaffolding went all the way across so we could put a projector dead center top this year

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    \
    Question 2: is there cola?
    Yes, but I believe it's only served with Baccardi, Captain Morgan, Myers or some other brand of rum!

Smile

Wow! Great responses so far! Keep them coming people!

First off, SOUND: I hereby nominate Bradof69 and RagDoll to be in charge of audio. I encourage you guys to cooperate with Stuka and others to ensure we have enough equipment (mixers, etc) present. But it sounds like RagDoll has everything we need!

Speaking of this, hey Ragdoll, I see you're in Illinois... Can you really bring all that audio and truss equipment all the way to North Carolina? Gonna be a heavily loaded truck! But if you can, that will be the largest sound system we've ever had, and it will be *GREATLY* appreciated!

Stage Scaffolding: I hereby nominate RGB-gas and Platinum to be in charge of setting up the scaffolding and trusses. Jeff (RGB-gas) still has the scaffold from last year, but if Ragdoll can bring some trusswork, that would be a nice addition. (Especially since Johnathan's 3 watt green projector is traditionally hung from a truss that will be hidden behind the curtain this year.) Hopefully you guys can get together and coordinate all the gear we'll need ahead of time.

POWER: I hereby nominate DJMatt and Platinum to be in charge of on-stage and back-stage power distribution. I'd like a pair of distro's on-stage with 110V power for the projectors, computers, and the sound system. This should eliminate any ground loop problems. I have the breaker we'll need to connect it to the lighting panel. (I have a 60 amp and a 100 amp breaker, but we'll probably only be able to use one.) Regarding 3 phase power, we'll need to discuss that some more, as I don't know yet how much 3 phase gear will be present. (Jeff can also help with this...)

Nametags: Chris, this one is your baby... Run with it! I love the idea of lanyards with tags. Much more durable, and you only need one. Very cool. (Laminated?)

Network: Frank, I'd like you to handle that if you can. Just remember to bring the wireless bridges with you this time! But yeah, if we can have a LAN on-stage for show synchronization, plus a drop from the router in the front office for Internet access, that would be ideal. (Everyone will be expected to bring their own network cable; I'm guessing it should be at least 30 ft long.)

MasterPJ: If you are willing to make the trip across the Atlantic, we'd love to have you there! (That invite stands for any other PL members in other countries who would like to attend, by the way.) SELEM is not a continuous event, so yes, there will be time to go back to your hotel to catch some sleep each night. The event lasts from 9 in the morning until around midnight each day, with Sunday being the exception. Sunday we have to shut down at around 5:00 PM so we can pack up and clean up. (We have to be out of the auditorium by 7 PM on Sunday.) Normally people stay at the Holiday Inn Express hotel in town, which is about 4 miles away from the auditorium. Also, there are a couple Bed and Breakfast Inns in town that are fun to stay at, but they fill up very fast. (I've already booked my room at The Trotthouse Inn, but I don't know if any rooms have been booked at the Peacock Inn yet.)

STUKA: Regarding the general layout, I expect it will be similar to last year, with the exception that all the scaffolding will be FORWARD of the main curtain. Also, I like the idea of having some trusswork set up. Since Ragdoll has some he can bring, I'm thinking maybe we'll put it up above the scaffold... As far as where the scrim will be, we could either put it on the edge of the stage (~ 5 ft in front of the projectors) or set it in the first row of seats if we wanted it further away. Remember though that my scrim stand only extends to 12 feet. If we need more than that, we'll need a different set of stands. Jeff may have a larger scrim section by then, and if so, we might need to look into a different mounting arrangement.

Finally, if anyone would like to put on any kind of presentation: Be it a class in how to use a certain software tool, or a demonstration of a product, or just a "Hey, look at this cool thing I did!" (Randy, I'm looking at you and your Keytar here), please let me know now so I can start building these things into the schedule. My guess is that most of these presentations will be in the lobby area or upstairs in the classroom, but if you need the main auditorium to do your thing, we can work around that. Also, I can supply at least one DLP projector for people wanting to do power-point presentations or software demos.

Adam

1 problem though, how in the heck am I going to take my projector with me by plane?
    it's too heavy for hand lugage

Default Scrimmage, etc...

Adam -

I think the 12' scrim is plenty big enough;
    my concern is the distance between the scrim and the projector(s) that will make use of it.
    I would like to get a full-scrim image, if possible, without having to use extreme scan angles (a HATE the noise the scanners make when you do that!!)

Will there be room to perhaps put a smaller center scaffolding section towards the back of the stage to support the scrim projectors? If it's high enough, that would still leave room for a setup table in front of that center scaffold section.

Cable routing -
    ALWAYS a big issue, and increasingly hazardous as we add more "stuff" and people to SELEM!!
    Everyone needs to plan to bring plenty of LONG cables (audio, ethernet, power) so cables can be routed a little neater and safer than they have been at previous events.
    Last edited by Stuka; 05-16-2011 at 15:51.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I'm in... it'll be great seeing everyone again! I'd help with sound reinforcement, but it seems like that will be taken care of (so I can probably leave the truck at home!!!).