Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM V in Newton, NC August 19-21; Need input (and volunteers) now!

Default Multi-projector show planning...

It would probably be a good idea to go ahead and establish some technical guidelines for multi-projector show planning.

For example, I'm assuming a base projector arrangement of Audience left / Center projectors / Audience Right. For the left and right projectors, if we want to plan on mirror-image beam effects, do we need to plan on setting that up using separate tracks in our software, or will one side of the projectors be set up with an inverted X-axis?

Also, I would once again recommend that we go with assigned IP addresses, since all the .NET boxes will be there already anyway. With assigned IP addresses, it would be really easy to chart each projector by name, IP address, and location as it is put into place, which should help take some of the guesswork / delays out of the picture while the multi-projector shows are being fine tuned after we start setting up.

Just my $ .05 worth...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Sooo anyone got an idea what I should do about the laser handlugage weight problem?

Smile

Randy;

I like your ideas re: stage setup. Maybe you, Jeff, and Jonathan (Platinum) can get together and figure out the best way to assemble everything. Remember, we plan to run both graphics and beam shows, so we need a "hole" in the middle of the scaffold arrangement so that we can see the screen behind it for graphics shows. (The auditorium just installed a large 20 x 14 ft screen that rolls down from the ceiling right at the proscenium, just in front of the main curtain. I plan to use that for graphics shows, with the main graphics projector up in the balcony.)

Maybe we should think about moving the scaffold to the left and right more? Remember what Casey Stack said about crossing the beam paths? Something to think about anyway...

Regarding the network and assigned IP addresses, I have no problem using a router and DHCP to assign addresses. That's how we always do it at FLEM, and it works great. Assigned IP addresses seem like overkill to me. But maybe Frank would be the better person to answer this...

The scrim I have is only 9 ft square, but I can lift it 12 ft off the floor. My concern is that if we put the scrim in the audience, it won't be high enough. (The stage is nearly 4 feet tall, so the scrim would only be 8 ft off the stage, and would hang down below the stage.) Maybe RagDoll can set up some truss work on the floor in the audience and we could hang it from that. (That would get it up higher.) What do you think?

As far as left-right projectors, if we set them up using Pangolin's network tool, we can flip the X axis at will if we need to. And if we're using the buffered ILDA splitter that DZ built for me, it has switches to flip the X axis on half the outputs. So we're golden either way. (Bottom line - program your show however you want, and we'll make it right at the event.)

Brad;

Will be great to see you again. (We never did set up a second Knoxville meet, did we? Dang...) And yeah, looks like RagDoll has a bunch of nice subwoofer cabinets that he can bring (along with a ton of other gear!), so we should have decent bass for a change! (Now that I think about it, wasn't it you who suggested we get some folded horn subs for the next SELEM? Looks like you got your wish dude!) Get with Bradof69 and RagDoll and see if they need any assistance re: the sound system. Also, please bring your wii controller and your two blue projectors at a minimum! (Those things are so cool!)

MasterPJ;

I sent you a PM about it, but regarding your projector, you could pack it in a flight case and then check it as baggage on the plane. It would have to go in the cargo area, of course, and that means you'd have to wait at the terminal to retrieve it, but that's one way to get your projector here safely.

The other option is to box it up very carefully and then ship it via DHL or FedEx or something. But that's probably going to be very expensive. You'd probably be better off buying the flight case and taking it on the plane... (The airline might charge you a fee for having additional baggage, but I'm pretty sure it won't be more than $25 or so...)

Adam

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stage layout.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	24446

This is sort of what I envisioned -
    Not to scale, and I don't know where the new auditorium screen would fit in the mix, but it gives the general idea.

Given the option, I DEFINITELY want to use the scrim whenever possible.- - and I think a 9' scrim would be plenty big enough!
    In fact, if we set aside "show blocks" as we discussed previously, I'll probably plan on running all my shows through the scrim, since SELEM is about the only opportunity many of us will have to really set up for a "proper" scrim display. (Personally, I think most shows look better through a scrim, if there's enough room to set it up properly!)

As far as the IP addressing recommendations, that is based on issues we've had in the past getting all the router issues worked out. I'm all for a good router setup, but I would still recommend charting all the projectors / controllers as they're added to the network, and keeping that as a reference everyone can easily access while adjusting their multi-projector shows for the SELEM layout.

Going along with that, I think everyone should have the opportunity to use their own computers to run their shows, including the multi-projector productions.
    While I would agree it's easier to have "master computer", that usually leaves out a lot folks who never get the opportunity to get the hands-on experience managing the shows using all their own gear.

That is all - for now...
    Last edited by Stuka; 04-12-2011 at 16:15.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Cool

You got it!
    Also Ive got a hazer too
    Ill give you a call soon!

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Mine and Mystrys's time this year are scarce. At this point, we're not sure if we'll even make one full day at SELEM --- which really sucks. sucks on many different levels; both for us and our collective laser community.

We feel really bad since we *really enjoy* what we do for the group.

We're not bailing on the event but it depends upon alot of things out of our control right now. We really want to shove pig meat down all yall's throat but we need: a couple weeks to figure out our final schedule, how many folks are showing up and what we can do with the equipment we have. We aren't pro cooks, we just cook for folks we enjoy spending time with (which is this group right here at PL).

I'll know more with my work schedule in a couple weeks. Maybe Mystrys will chime in too soon (she has a plate full too right now - no pun).

I'll call you soon Buffo.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Maybe we should think about moving the scaffold to the left and right more? Remember what Casey Stack said about crossing the beam paths? Something to think about anyway...
    I still think it would be nice to have something in the center... like have a platform on the top level of the scaffolding between the stage left and stage right scaffolding... then have the scrim in the hole underneath??

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Regarding the network and assigned IP addresses, I have no problem using a router and DHCP to assign addresses. That's how we always do it at FLEM, and it works great. Assigned IP addresses seem like overkill to me. But maybe Frank would be the better person to answer this...
    no reason we can't do both... I can reserve a space outside the DHCP scope for people to have static IP address devices

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    I still think it would be nice to have something in the center... like have a platform on the top level of the scaffolding between the stage left and stage right scaffolding... then have the scrim in the hole underneath??
    Well, my laser barely clears the scrim as it is, but I can just put it somewhere else if you'd like.

We'll look into all of the options.

-Jonathan

is that the green only one?

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    is that the green only one?
    It should be more of a Cyan color by August, but yes, that one.