Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM V in Newton, NC August 19-21; Need input (and volunteers) now!

Smile SELEM V in Newton, NC August 19-21; Need input (and volunteers) now!

Hey folks!

It's getting close to that time of year again, so I thought I'd start getting some input for the 5th annual South Eastern Laser Enthusiast's Meeting. The dates have already been set: August 19th through the 21st, and the venue is the same as always (in the Newton - Connover Auditorium).

Budgeting for this event is going to be interesting, as the cost has more than doubled from where we started back in 2007, due to inflation, the extended hours, the extra day, and the use of the upstairs classroom area. Even so, the event itself has also grown, so the entry fee will still be quite reasonable. I'm shooting for a not-to-exceed price of $50, including 1 shirt. (I should have that price nailed down here in the next couple weeks.)

As we discussed last year, for this year I've decided to extend the event by one day. So the load-in and setup will be on Thursday, August 18th, with the main event commencing Friday morning at 9 AM. We'll run 3 full days: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Unlike previous years, I'd like to keep shows running pretty much continuously in the auditorium for all three days, with other events (like seminars, presentations, repairs, etc) going on in other rooms (or even on stage behind the curtain) while the shows are running. We will have the upstairs classroom available for at least one day, and possibly all three days, depending on what our needs are. (This gets expensive, so I don't want to book the upstairs area for all three days unless we need it.)

I want to publish a show schedule in advance, so everyone will know which shows will be running at which times (and on which days). This year we'll have the main stage curtains closed on the main stage as much as possible (with the projectors and scaffolding sitting on the forward part of the stage, in front of the curtain), so we can be running shows in the auditorium even if the lights are on in the stage area behind the curtain (where all the computers are set up). However, in order to do this, I'll need a list of shows from people in advance so I can block out times and publish a list.

I've already had one request for an hour time-slot so we can run "The Best of Echos", which is a series of Pink Floyd shows that were created by Mike Dunn. (DZ bought these shows a while back, and they're a popular favorite at LEM's.) I'm also blocking out a couple hours for Frank (Flecom) so he can run some of his converted ADAT shows through his sound-card DAC.

But I'm sure we've got *TONS* more shows (both graphics and beams) that we'd like to run. So if anyone else has a bunch of shows they'd like to display for the group, please contact me (or reply here) with the show list and the approximate running time so I can add the shows to the master schedule. I plan to have a single dedicated graphics projector for graphics shows, and I'll also have my ILDA splitter present if we want to run a beam show on multiple projectors. (This will work no matter what controller you play the show on, so even someone with a sound card DAC can run their show on up to 10 projectors.)

I have been trying to line up a few guest speakers, but I don't have any firm commitments yet. Also, I've been considering having another safety-related lecture on the Monday after SELEM. That seemed to go over really well last year, so if there is enough interest, I think we could do something like that again. I considered having Greg Makhov from LSDI come up to put on a Laser Safety Officer course, but I think that would probably end up costing in excess of $400 per person. Not sure how many people would be interested in that... I'm also looking into having Casey Stack from Laser Compliance come back, which would probably be cheaper.

Beyond that, I need input from you people. I'd like to know what you think about the event. What would you like to see, and what do you want to do this year?

I'm also looking for volunteers to help organize and manage the event. At a minimum, I need people to help with food preparation, networking setup, stage / scaffolding setup, sound system setup, power distribution (on-stage and back stage), name tags & waivers, Auditorium show schedule organization and management, setup and management of the for-sale area, and daily seminar organization.

So if you've got ideas, let's hear them. And if you want to get involved with SELEM, speak up! I need all the help I can get, especially now that this event has become so large.

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

About damn time! I need to see some lasers. I have made sure to block out my calendar and haven't decided if I'm driving down Wednesday evening and being rested beforehand or, leaving Thursday morning. Already spoken with Holiday Inn Express. We've already spoken about sound but as a reminder, I can bring JBL JRX 125's, a 4000 watt amp and 16 channel mixer and cables. Being a caterer, I'm considering getting involved on the food end of things as well since I'll be there early enough to do something. Or, at least can supply all necessary paper products etc. As far as shows, I've got the same stuff everyone else does so, nothing new there. Marc seems to think my projector may be done in time for SELEM too! Who knows what all else I'll bring. Just count me in for assistance wherever necessary.

~Brad

Hi Brad;

We need to talk on the phone! I'll definitely take you up on your offer of the amp and the pair of JRX 125's. Though I'll probably bring my set as well. (Should sound really great with four of those monsters on stage!) The mixer will come in handy as well.

I might just put you in charge of the audio system, in fact. Thinking about a pair of mixers left and right behind the curtain, with everything going out to the amps/speakers from one and the other linked to the first. That way it's easy to hook someone up to the sound system no matter where they are on stage, and there's less plugging and unplugging of cables.

Regarding food - I think that will be it's own committee of sorts. Not sure yet who will lead that effort, but I'm sure Doug and Len will be involved again. I know they'd appreciate any help/advice you could offer though.

Adam

Default I'm in.

As a new PL member for the most part I can't wait to meet everyone. I own a sound and lighting company and would like to offer sound services. I can bring my new small rig. 6 Mackie HD 1531's, 8 Mackie 1801's. I will also be bringing my RGB projector from Marc which should hopefully be upgraded to 2.8W at the show. I also have lots of J23 trussing (triangle 1 1/2" tubing) if needed. There is enough to do an arch 12' high and 24' across. It can be arranged any way you want. If you think more is needed just let me know and I'll grab more. As a new member I really want to contribute. I will also toss in my Martin/Jem K1 Hazer for everyones use . I have a nice little Pace trailer so room isn't an issue.

Ciao,
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 04-12-2011 at 11:10.
    Mario

www.r3dj.com

1.5W RGB unit from Marc at CT Lasers!
    400mW RGBv mod based on Chinese unit

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Hi Brad;

I might just put you in charge of the audio system, in fact. Thinking about a pair of mixers left and right behind the curtain, with everything going out to the amps/speakers from one and the other linked to the first. That way it's easy to hook someone up to the sound system no matter where they are on stage, and there's less plugging and unplugging of cables.

Adam
    I can probably bring two mixers. The 2nd is a (if I remember) 24 channel powered mixer though, with 1,000 watt amp inside. I've got mics/adapters and other crap too.

Cool

Im always in!!!
    Let me know about, cords,spider boxes (distro to you) and anything else!!
    Also,let me know about 3 phase cables, and hoses for water. SO we can move the Ions to the "Ion room"

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

I have my small 12 channel mackie mixer... also have tons of networking stuff if you need someone to do the lan/wlan you know I'm down

Oh snap! I've been thinking about SELEM a little lately and here's the thread!

SELEM is easily one of my favorite weeks of my year and I look forward to hanging out with you all again.

I officially *show interest* in a LSO-course. RLI is coming to my area next month and they charge $1500, which I'm told is comparable to other companies like LIA and Laser Professionals, Inc. $400 would be a great deal! Any word on how many people would be needed to make it work? If it does work out, I think prepayment might be a good idea, given the cost and the need to make it all work out financially.

I volunteer for stage / scaffolding setup and power distribution. I think it's a given that we should do something similar to last year as far as using scaffolding on the front of the stage, left and right. It wouldn't hurt to move those two curtains on Stage Left out of the way to open up that area a little more too. A couple of spider boxes for projectors would be good also. These could be directly wired in, if needed.

- Jonathan

Default I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adam,
    Like last year, I can provide name tags again, although I was thinking lanyards this time since the stickers peeled off.

If everyone liked the layout last year with your screen name, real name and avitar, I'll keep it that way.
    I was also thinking of making them a little bigger. That way they are easier to read.

Let me know.

Chris

hmm I was asked if I would like to join this years SELEM.
    I'm almost certain that this will be a.....YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People I see you on SELEM!
    at the time SELEM is started my 2nd edition of motion capture realtime laser models is already done and working perfectly I'm most certain.
    Many other things likely too and Banana phone lasershow (as will be seen on the LEM in rijswijk (the netherlands) )

I hope that I would have my laser engine proto up and running too.. Which is currently far from usable.