Thread: Open Source Laser Driver and TEC combo

Default Open Source Laser Driver and TEC combo

I would like to start a project for an Open Source Laser Driver Analog (100kHz) with a TEC combo based on Arduino MP Board, something like a shield, where we could get messuring point for temp sensors as well for the current and/or voltage on the LD Driver Part. They should be able to power up to 4 x 445 and 8 x 826. Please let me know if people here are interested. I have about $300 to $400 that i would like to donate too the project. Not sure if it is better to power each diode by itself or have them in parallel or serial.

Great would be if we can make a SMD version as well as a Thru the Hole version. Not sure if i got all the specs, but please chip in with ideas. Also someone has a idea where to host or put a project like this so we can work together. Please PM me or leave a message here.

Quote Originally Posted by hivelaser View Post
    I would like to start a project for an Open Source Laser Driver Analog (100kHz) with a TEC combo based on Arduino MP Board, something like a shield, where we could get messuring point for temp sensors as well for the current and/or voltage on the LD Driver Part. They should be able to power up to 4 x 445 and 8 x 826. Please let me know if people here are interested. I have about $300 to $400 that i would like to donate too the project. Not sure if it is better to power each diode by itself or have them in parallel or serial.

Great would be if we can make a SMD version as well as a Thru the Hole version. Not sure if i got all the specs, but please chip in with ideas. Also someone has a idea where to host or put a project like this so we can work together. Please PM me or leave a message here.
    I believe that this is in progress, dnar and solarfire are leading this project currently I am sure that your support could speed things up. Of course a few beta boards for you to test might come out of it

reference: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...046#post195046

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    I believe that this is in progress, dnar and solarfire are leading this project currently I am sure that your support could speed things up. Of course a few beta boards for you to test might come out of it

reference: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/showthread.php/6434-The-big-TEC-driver-thread!?p=195046#post195046

-Adam
    Is that an analog "classic" style driver or is it a digital version that you can control and read status from, e.g. through SPI?

I'd be interested in a digital version that would eventually save up on a set of DAC channels and gives some detailed information about the laser's status, temperature, actual output power, etc...

correct i would like to create a DIGITAL one as you said... based on PIC or Arduino...

Also i am pretty good with Adobe Air (AS3.0) so to make a interface that works on MAC or PC or Linux is not problem to read these values or even write them if possible...
    Last edited by hivelaser; 06-23-2011 at 09:43.

Well, there are enough circuits out there that will allow an AVR (Arduino) to function as a current source or even a full-blown switch mode power supply. Since you have ADC's on board, you can use them to read anything like current or voltage, and regulate towards a (software programmable) set point.

The big trick (for laser drivers) is to get a current source which has absolutely zero current ripple. So full switch mode buck converters are pretty much out of the question there, unless you can find a way to get rid of the ripple they produce. They are the most efficient way to get a current source though, and can be built with the AVR's internal PWM.

In theory, such a circuit can also be used to drive galvos and you can eliminate analog connections in your projector altogether. Galvos might even be better off using a Delta-Sigma modulation scheme driven directly.