Thread: fb3 and entec pro usb to dmx

Default fb3 and entec pro usb to dmx

hi all,

can you tell me if i am correct in thinking that if you have the flashback 3 xe (without the dmx daughter board), you can still get full in /out dmx control by using the above entac device ?

here are the words from the fb3 manual.........

.".........DMX to USB device needed
    Note that in order to use DMX for either input or output, you must first acquire a DMX to USB
    converter device. Currently QuickShow supports only the DMX USB PRO controller from the company
    ENTTEC. This is a very popular device which is freely available from many vendors on the internet.
    Pangolin also normally carries a limited stock of these devices as well.
    DMX daughter board on FB3-SE can not be used
    Also note that if you have a FB3-SE with a DMX daughter board installed, this can not be used for
    DMX input or output with QuickShow. The DMX daughter board on the FB3 is only used by the FB3
    for direct FB3 control and playback.........."

i presume ........"The DMX daughter board on the FB3 is only used by the FB3
    for direct FB3 control and playback......" refers to control by a dmx console and not through pc/laptop using quickshow?

dave321
    dave321

What they are saying is that the FB3 daughterboard does not turn the FB3 into a DMX interface of any kind - it simply allows the standalone FB3 to be controlled by DMX (pattern selection, rotation, size, etc)
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by dave321 View Post

i presume ........"The DMX daughter board on the FB3 is only used by the FB3
    for direct FB3 control and playback......" refers to control by a dmx console and not through pc/laptop using quickshow?

dave321
    Correct -

QuickShow can control the FB3 (any version) directly though its USB port, and control DMX devices using an Enttec DMX USB Pro.

As norty mentioned, if you happen to have an FB3 with a DMX daughterboard, you could control it as a "stand alone" DMX device using QuickShow-Enttec DMX USB Pro (or any other DMX console device), but you would definitely miss a lot of the FB3's functionality that way...
    Last edited by Stuka; 04-17-2011 at 10:57.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

thanks guys........much clearer now

dave321
    dave321

I have used an Entech DMX pro hooked up to a Chamsys desk where we crated a profile for the FB3 and could control (limted) areas of Quickshow from the desk. Does not have the power of using QS directly but you can intergrate lasers into a setup that is being defined by the desk - good I would say for a theatre production or touring live band application.
    I also used the Entech to control the pan and tilt mirror on my RGB from QS

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk