Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts for FOOD

Smile

If you guys are worried about missing out on too much fun at SELEM, why not plan on going to Zambras on Sunday evening after SELEM is over with? Or maybe even going the following Monday? Just a suggestion...

Speaking of the Monday following - I've been talking with several people in the hopes that I could arrange some sort of special training class for that day. So far, I haven't had much luck though.

Also, a couple people have asked about setting up a trip to the Carowinds Theme Park for the Monday after SELEM. That may be an option if the training idea falls through.

I'll keep everyone posted as this pans out.

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I've got 500+ miles to drive Sunday night after this shindig is over with. If there was a reason to stay for Monday, I might be able to consider it but, as it stands, leaving the minions unattended for 5 days with a big church dinner Friday and a Sweet 16 party Saturday, I can only imagine what I'm headed home to and will want to survey the damage Monday morning!

Sounds like all the fun will be over with by the time you get there anyway, Brad. So there's nNo reason not to extend your stay in Newton by one day. After all, the mess will be the same on Tuesday morning as it is on Monday morning, right?

Seriously though - I'm still working on a possible class for Monday, but so far it's not looking good. Then again, if we don't have a safety class, that means we can all go to Carowinds and ride roller coasters all day until we puke!

Adam

BUMPITY BUMP;

Maybe the trip to Zambras can happen both nights to accomidate more- hell I might want to go both nights- Any place that gets those kinds of compliments HAS to really be great.

I will be putting up a new thread as SELEM nears to solicit a few volunteers to put in one hour each in the kitchen helping Brad, Lenny and myself with the chores involved in feeding the attendees.
    Feel free to volunteer your guests. lol

I will be putting out a tip jar on the food line and any extra we have can go towards some grub on Sat and Sun. Lunch. Who does not like a nice meatball sub slathered in Mozz chez?

In lieu of tips, anyone who wants, can bring your fav salad dressings from home as well as Parm chez- red pepper flakes and salt/pepper etc. So clean out that frig and bring it!

cant wait hak
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 05-21-2011 at 11:10. Reason: added info

Default Less than 60 days til SELEM

46 days

Friday Menu_____________
    Brad's Famous Meatballs in Haks (sorta famous) Marinara Sauce.
    Pasta al Dente.
    Tossed Salad (anyone who can-plz bring your fav Salad Dressing)
    Fresh Made Garlic Bread.
    Last year some picked up some deserts-- do that again if you can.

Very little cooking will need to be done there.

But we really would appreciate a little help with the serving and clean-up
    during and after-on Friday--- grubbing stops at 5/6 PM( starts ~noon-thirty)
    Just one hour offered by several will be plenty. See Brad, Lenny or me to lend a hand.

Please Chime in with your suggestions..

the foody folks
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 07-03-2011 at 15:00. Reason: addition and correction

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Meatballs/salad/rolls/etc. still a go. Didn't you say something about spaghetti? I can cover the sauce for the meatballs too if your mariana should be reserved for the spaghetti. Do we know if the kitchen has a large pot available for use? Not a residential one, a regular commericial one like the size you fry turkeys in. I can bring one if necessary.

I'll want to get a reasonably accurate count from Adam about a week before to get a good handle on how much to bring.

Wow...less than 60 days. Finer words were never spoken. :0)
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 06-24-2011 at 05:56. Reason: spelling

Smile

Don't count on having any pans at the venue. If they have pots, they'd be the sort you'd find in a household kitchen anyway. But last year I remember the cabinets being mostly empty.

Still not sure how many people will be there this year. Will probably have a more accurate number by around the 10th of August.

If you guys are sure about the time for food, please comment in the schedule thread so I can update it.

Adam

Guys, just from experience: Bring *everything* you think you will need. Don't count on the venue having anything except a counter, fridge, sink and stove. We bought some cheap utensils to leave there and by the next year they were gone. Most of the cabnets are both locked and full of useless items.

Default I will bring

I have the pasta and pot for it covered . As well as serving utensiles. Cutting board-chef knives-etc. Having been on a cook-off team for 12 yrs has made me aware of what all is needed to do this. My plan is to have food fOR ~100 and any leftovers can be made into meatball subs for SAT. iF any have a large size roll of Foil bring it- good foil can be made into almost anything. My sauce will be frozen in five one gallon bags. I have a lot of plastic-ware packs with spoon-fork and knife-napkin S&P. If anyone has plates and or bowls(plastic or paper) bring them. Better to have an extra 5 gallon pot than be short one. I can cook the pasta al dente in the suite and bring to venue to reheat or just cook it there- N/P either way- I will have the fresh garlic spread done in advance so all I need to is pick up some nice french bread next door at WallyWorld. A large size crock pot will come w/ me to hold the sauce and meatballs and I think Brad is bringing a chaffer and sterno for the pasta in hot water. I have a super size salad bowl to bring and tongs. lid for wverything can be made from foil.