Thread: Deadmau5's LED cube ...

Default Deadmau5's LED cube ...

Just thought I'd post this for both it's awesomeness, but also to ask, does anyone know what kind of interface these panels use between each other? Some kind of serial I'm thinking ...

Just a few little facts I know:
    Native resolution of 1600x1200
    LED pitch of 8mm
    Full RGB, and is only usually run at 5% brightness

Pretty crazy, I want one!

I could be wrong, but I think it's Ethernet or something similar.

The LED wall at a massive show in Seattle last October was linked up that way, so I could image this one here is the same.

*Paging VJ AIWAZ* <--he'd probably have an even better educated guess

-Jonathan

chances are, the LED panels "tile" themselves. you tell each one during setup that it is in a 6 x 6 array, and which row/column it is located at, and it only displays that specific 1/36th (or whatever fraction is appropriate) of the whole image. You would take the Video output of a PC and run it into a Video Distribution Amp - which is basically a balanced, signal conditioning splitter- and the whole video image is fed to each individual screen, where each screen knows it's tiled location.

If they don't self-tile, there are a whole host of Video Wall Processors that would fit the bill. in this case, you'd pipe the video into a Video Wall Processor, which would divide the video signal up into the proper numbered and shaped images and then each output is piped direct to each panel.

Either way, that piece probably cost $300K.
    Last edited by GoolGaul; 04-25-2011 at 17:59.

I belive those are the Clay packy Led wall "Mirage" we just purchased 2 40 x 50 systems they are in one meter square panels connect via ethernet and map out to any configuration via software. http://www.claypaky.it/en/products/e...inment/ledwall Ill try to remember to snap some pics of the wall as i have it being used this week for a larger production.

I'm assuming you'd have to run these large setups from 3phase distribution boxes? I counted about 79 panels in the cube, and each panel is 170W peak, which is 13kW for the cube alone

Not the clay paky stuff, thats alot better dot pitch than 20mm.

I think its the PixLED F-11u stuff as its light enough to rig easily like that and gives a good appearance at short distances to the audience.

Have a look at XL Video, thats who I think supply the deadmau5 tour. As for running it at 5%, you'd be surprised how many of the screens you see at events get run at such lower powers... wouldnt it be nice if we could do that with out lasers!

Quote Originally Posted by Law99 View Post
    Not the clay paky stuff, thats alot better dot pitch than 20mm.

I think its the PixLED F-11u stuff as its light enough to rig easily like that and gives a good appearance at short distances to the audience.

Have a look at XL Video, thats who I think supply the deadmau5 tour. As for running it at 5%, you'd be surprised how many of the screens you see at events get run at such lower powers... wouldnt it be nice if we could do that with out lasers!
    Yep I think you nailed it. According to this: http://www.techietalk.co.uk/news/xl-...ring-deadmau5/

That is what they are using.. Cool stuff! not cheap.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Nice, I've been looking at this sort of thing a bit lately. One of our current projects is creating ChromaCove LED lighting for planetarium and architectural use, but we've joked that we should sell a small set that would mimic the Daft Punk wall-o-triangles for the extreme fans.

There is typically a pixel mapping process that lets you convert video to DMX for such applications, we did this for a nearby high school that wanted some LEDs for their competition choir. It worked very well for them and I think they took home some big trophies.

Most people think of LEDs as being very low power. Compared to incandescent, they typically are, but when you get that many of them together and it adds up fast!

-chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    I'm assuming you'd have to run these large setups from 3phase distribution boxes? I counted about 79 panels in the cube, and each panel is 170W peak, which is 13kW for the cube alone
    Somewhat correct, I believe you'll find the typical set up as follows:

3 phase > camlocks > dimmer rack > socaplex > LED fixture

Video Distro > Dimmer rack (DMX)> LED tile (DMX/ether)> LED tile > ... > Dimmer rack

Just a tid bit for everyone. I'm a free lance LD in Atlanta, Ga. Deadmau5 came through and did a show at one if the venues I work at. The news article chad posted is correct. The cube, led back wall, and his custom led mouse head are all driven via DMX. I believe the show I assisted on there were 18 universes worth of DMX data sent to control them. All being driven from an Axon media server, controlled by a HES Hog 3 console. And yes, at full power they pull a HEAVY liAd, but as stated they are rarely run that high. It literally becomes blinding. If you ever get a chance to catch a show of this nature, I highly recommend it.