Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Question about anamorphic prisms

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Just got my prism pair today. I am wondering if some of these 445's have better beam profiles than others. I just popped another 445 into a housing and I am using a generic glass collimator and it has a pretty tight beam. I am going to throw the optics on to clean up the FA but this looks really damn good.

dnar, were you able to measure your pinhole? I am curious to try that out. I have a pretty good beam already, but if I can round it up, it will be on par with my 640 and 532.
    Yeah buddy, just measured it for you. 3.4mm. It really just clips the corners of the beam without much loss at all.
    This space for rent.

Awesome! Thanks! I am going to give this a try.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Awesome! Thanks! I am going to give this a try.
    Cool. Depending on YOUR beam profile and size you might want to experiment with the hole size.

Here is a pic of it in action, I am using the B&K housing which came with a very small exit aperture, I slowly drilled it out in increasing sizes until I got the result I was after.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4456.jpg 
Views:	660 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	24920

Name:	DSCF4457.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	24919

Name:	DSCF4497.jpg 
Views:	652 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	24922

Name:	DSCF4460.jpg 
Views:	652 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	24921
    Last edited by dnar; 05-06-2011 at 18:58.
    This space for rent.

Very nice indeed! I still need to get everything mounted proper. Right now, my diode/housing is mounted to a bare heatsink and my prisms are just sitting on it. I need to do some fabrication to make it an actual laser head! I have a few pieces of black anodized angle. I'll grab one of those and start drilling it out for the best beam. This is great though, your work here is going to make 445 a more viable choice for graphics. You should probably post your own thread on this with your findings to "show us all the light!"

Question

What if you used two prism sets, but put them both at different "polarities"; have one set 90 degrees off axis from the other set?

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    What if you used two prism sets, but put them both at different "polarities"; have one set 90 degrees off axis from the other set?
    someone has already done this and posted pics over here, but i can't seem to find it at the moment.... and i also can't seem to remember who it was.....
    "its called character briggs..."

This space for rent.

dnar, you are my hero. Finally got my prism assmebly made and along with my pinhole set-up. Nothing is mounted in a housing yet, but I did manage to capture a few pics to show this in use.

Please note, my camera has a very hard time with this wavelength. I think most CCDs do. Though it may look violet with a lot of beam trash, there actually is very very little. Most of the "trash" is caused by my camera. Anyway, these were captured F16 (to reduce glare) at about 1/15 secs and the scan angle is very small <10 degrees (hence the fat beams). The blue is on par or slightly better than with my green. This setup is very suitable for graphics. I think the only thing that is going to show is when it is mixed with 640 red. Because the red beam is so small in comparison, I have viloet with a blue halo. I have the same issue with green/red, but because of green's brightness, I can't see it.

Name:	IMG_3113.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	24945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3111.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	24946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3115.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	24947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3112.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	24948

Nice. be sure to post pics of the final setup!
    dnar, you are my hero. Finally got my prism assmebly made and along with my pinhole set-up. Nothing is mounted in a housing yet, but I did manage to capture a few pics to show this in use.

Please note, my camera has a very hard time with this wavelength. I think most CCDs do. Though it may look violet with a lot of beam trash, there actually is very very little. Most of the "trash" is caused by my camera. Anyway, these were captured F16 (to reduce glare) at about 1/15 secs and the scan angle is very small <10 degrees (hence the fat beams). The blue is on par or slightly better than with my green. This setup is very suitable for graphics. I think the only thing that is going to show is when it is mixed with 640 red. Because the red beam is so small in comparison, I have viloet with a blue halo. I have the same issue with green/red, but because of green's brightness, I can't see it.

Name:	IMG_3113.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	24945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3111.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	24946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3115.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	24947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3112.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	24948
    This space for rent.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    It looks to me as if those prime were set up 180 degrees off axis instead of 90 degrees. I might have missed the other position; correct me if I am wrong.