Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wicked Lasers Sith

Default Wicked Lasers Sith

This was a post on the laserist list. I really want to get the word out on this. This is a horribly dangerous idea. Some kid is going to try and use it by spinning it around like an oriental weapon and some poor kid watching him is going to get nailed. Please join in the effort to get this off the market.

Hello fellow laserists-

I know a few emails have already popped up on the list, but i am going to try and take it to a next step.

Here is Wicked Lasers next new bright idea:

I was pissed off enough a year ago when Wicked Lasers made their "Arctic" 1 Watt laser. Now they are making it 100X worse! There is absolutely no justification for a Laser with opposing dual apertures. This is nothing but an unsafe, *ILLEGAL* (enough with the "well, technically's...") Laser. I find it insulting and infuriating that I am getting emails and contact from the CDRH questioning me on labels and technicalities with paperwork, but yet there are 2 WATT Lasers being imported (or about to be imported) to 16 year old kids to play with during recess at school!!

1. Is it possible to get Wicked Lasers address and inform customs that (at this point) *ANY* package with this return address be confiscated?
    2. I think ILDA should (i guess it would be the new regulatory committee) draft a VERY heavily worded letter to Wicked to halt production of these. Not *force* them to, i know we cant enforce any laws. But we CAN exert some pressure to STOP being an irresponsible manufacturer. i know, im sure they won't stop. but at least we can say we did our part.

Ideas? comments?

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    comments?

I take it you missed this thread

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...rs-sith-series.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

yup! just saw it

Lightbulb

Hey Dude -

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    yup! just saw it
    Well, maybe *this* thread can still be useful, since that one got 'taken off the rails' by a 'certain individual' (...'course, I didn't help much, either, sorry...

..Anyhoo, perhaps this can be a more 'serious-repository' for excellent re-posts from the ILDA-list / ideas for how to, each, take some sort of action / petition, etc...
    I, for one, am definitely up for backing you on making this a 'let's take action' thread... that POS has got to go...

ie: Again, if we all at-least 'report it', here: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...onlineform.cfm ...perhaps when they see enough of them, they will forward-on to the 'proper' Div. (Enforcement) since they don't seem to have a direct-feed form for non-compliant / dangerous laser-products / manuf.'s... Just a thought...

Here's a great post from Sir Dan of X-Laser, from the ILDA-list:

Having studied this at some length, here is my take:

Any radiation emitting product must be certified as compliant before being imported into the country or otherwise must be imported under an import bond. Any items in the latter category must be either exported or destroyed and cannot enter the marketplace unless they are made and certified as compliant.

There are four categorizations of imported RAD goods: Standards do not apply, Comply, Do Not Comply and will be re-exported when their approved use is concluded; held under temp. import bond until them, or Do Not Comply and will remain under bond indefinitely so as to be able to be brought into compliance (petition required).

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFD.../UCM080778.pdf

CDRH has said very clearly that Wicked's products are subject to the performance standard. Depending on your perspective this may be a debatable point but CDRH gets last work until someone changes their mind or requires that they issue alternate guidance.

Assuming that they are subject to the performance standard, the CDRH's position is that they have disapproved of Wicked's quality control procedures which is FDA speak for 'you product is not compliant' and thus has placed them onto the red list (actually some years ago) which means that the products are subject to being impounded without the need for physical inspection.

"The article is subject to refusal of admission pursuant to Section 536(a) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) in that it appears that the article fails to comply with applicable standards prescribed under section 534 [Non standard, Section 536(a)]"

The question as to whether or not they are legal to own privately is debatable, I suppose, but I have been personally told by two CDRH staff members that the answer is a resounding "NO." Minimally CDRH gets to decide what is legal to import and what is not and what is legal to sell and what is not and in both cases they have been very clear that Wicked does not conform to the requirements.

The warning letter sent to Steve Liu of Wicked Lasers specifies the following:

This disapproval means that your firm is prohibited by Sections 534(h) and 538(a) of the Act from:

1. Certifying electronic products manufactured under the disapproved testing program (§ 538(a)(5)(B)),

2. Introducing, delivering for introduction, or importing into U.S. commerce any product which does not comply with the applicable standard (§ 538(a)(1)), and

3. Introducing or importing into U.S. commerce any product which does not have a certification as required by section 534(h) and (§ 538(a)(5)(A)).

Pay special attention to the end of this one. Red highlight added for emphasis:

FDA is prepared to invoke regulatory actions if you fail to comply with these requirements. These actions may include an injunction and/or imposition of civil penalties as provided for in section 539 of the Act, 21 U.S.C. § 360pp.

Persons who violate section 538 of the Act are subject to civil penalties of up to $1,100 per violation and up to a maximum penalty of $355,000 without further notification by the FDA. In cases where a foreign manufacturer fails to respond, penalties may be imposed upon importers.

I think that the short version is that unless you are prepared to do battle with the CDRH, best not to get involved. Despite the fact that CDRH's actions are not often visible, they ARE taking enforcement action and I don't think that they are going to be shy about taking this to the next level. Just because they don't strut doesn't mean they are toothless or don't care.

...Well-spoke, Dan... and great backup with referenceable-FACTS, in case anyone cares to accuse that 'PL doesn't "show me" the facts'... Read em and weap, punk.

peas...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Thanks Jon. Still kicking myself for the typos. =)

Default It matters!

As dsli_jon had posted in the other thread, it does make a difference, even if only a slight one. Here are some other threads of where this has made a difference.

http://community.wickedlasers.com/in...kage-no-laser/

http://community.wickedlasers.com/in...mportant-info/

Or you can check out the unhappy posts on WL's facebook page regarding Customs holds and FDA confiscations:

http://www.facebook.com/wickedlasers...73851112643557
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

The "Sith" or WL's version of twin sabers is no longer for sale. Apperently backlash from the laser community and complaints to the FDA put this project on pennant hold.

Funny how the web-store had the Sith on sale and taking orders....hmmm

One former member bitched and moaned about us PLers complaining about this. No doubt he is still lurking, but maybe he will see that if we complain enough about this... results WILL come about.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    One former member bitched and moaned about us PLers complaining about this. No doubt he is still lurking, but maybe he will see that if we complain enough about this... results WILL come about.
    Supposedly that is what our first amendments is all about right; we have the right to bitch and moan about anything we want... this is what usually causes change, which in this case I believe the majority of us thought this outcome is best. If that member can get enought people that feel the same as they do to excercise their first amendment in the way we did, maybe they can cause the opposite change... which they make feel is best.
    I still don't see the point of this product anyway. I keep trying to think of ways to use it and can only picture big ass refelcted beams in way to many places. I'm not a dumbass in the sense that I would blind myself with a handheld, but just thinking about "playing" with this item in my house I can only see me blinding myself or a cat... IF someone really needs to have one of these, build it yourself so only you have it; don't get pissy because Wicked can't sell them. Wait... you said former member... If it is who I think it is he is intelligent enough to nt only build one himself he is also smart enough to play the first amemndment game...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Oh, I agree... But to blast the community you are a part of for the sake of just being an asshole, as he did, well, the point of that is about the same as the usefullness of this product. To each his own. I was mearly stating that if enough people complain, things can come about, as you pointed out. Enough people did complain and something small did happen. It just seems like criticising it is extremely counter productive. Oh well.

No doubt people have and will build these, as they are simple as pie to make (maybe simpler because I can't cook for nothin!) but if even one source gets closed off, it makes it that much better.

Thought this was funny:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HUH.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	25399